Front sprocket lock washer

7 replies to this topic
  • CRF250dude26

Posted June 14, 2007 - 10:56 AM

Is the front sprocket lock washer suposed to be bent up on like 3 of the sides? I am replacing the sprocket and I am wondering if I should replace the washer because it is bent.

• skwerlee

Posted June 14, 2007 - 11:33 AM

Is the front sprocket lock washer suposed to be bent up on like 3 of the sides? I am replacing the sprocket and I am wondering if I should replace the washer because it is bent.

Yes it's fine. You bend an end up to keep the nut from backing off over time...that would be bad!

• CRFsean

Posted June 14, 2007 - 11:33 AM

ya mine is like that too

• CRF250dude26

Posted June 14, 2007 - 11:36 AM

ya mine is like that too

Do I just take some pliers and unbend it to take the sprocket off, and when I put the nut back on I bend it back?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TeamPrecisionIT

Posted June 14, 2007 - 11:36 AM

You should always replace the lock washer everytime you need to take off your CS sprocket. 'Rebending' weak aluminum is not a good thing and it will defeat its own purpose. Just buy a new one, they are usually like $1 or 2.

Damian

• 2wheels-drz

Posted June 14, 2007 - 12:53 PM

Do I just take some pliers and unbend it to take the sprocket off, and when I put the nut back on I bend it back?

yup thats rite....thou i like to use a chiesel and a hammer, don't bother replacing each time, its defo a waste of money. my bike is any 04 and still has the original and i change my gearing almost evey week and often more than each week. from jumping back and fourth between mx and sumo, and necessary gearing changes for each. i just hammer it completely flat and reuse. whens mine is bout to give up i'll replace but until then nope....

• grayracer513

Posted June 14, 2007 - 01:08 PM

For one thing, it only needs to be folded on one side of the nut. Two or three is overkill. For another, it's steel. By the book, yes, it should be replaced each time, but if you bend in a different place each time, you could use it 6 times before you bent the same place twice. You can tell when they're too weak by how they act when you fold them over.

Doesn't hurt to get a new one now and then, though.

• greentyler

Posted June 14, 2007 - 07:29 PM

For one thing, it only needs to be folded on one side of the nut. Two or three is overkill. For another, it's steel. By the book, yes, it should be replaced each time, but if you bend in a different place each time, you could use it 6 times before you bent the same place twice. You can tell when they're too weak by how they act when you fold them over.

Doesn't hurt to get a new one now and then, though.

agree 100%

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.