Chain eating the subframe!

32 replies to this topic
  • brad the best

Posted August 22, 2008 - 04:27 PM

its ether rk or did , but one of them makes a thin 520 o-ring chain . maybe you should try that .

i still just put a piece of rad hose on the side of my swing arm and zap strap it down . i think its 5/8th . i still haven't replaced it .

i align it by eye and using my fingers to gage it all after i use the blocks . seems to work pretty good .

• Fullbore4

Posted August 22, 2008 - 04:37 PM

its ether rk or did , but one of them makes a thin 520 o-ring chain . maybe you should try that .

i still just put a piece of rad hose on the side of my swing arm and zap strap it down . i think its 5/8th . i still haven't replaced it .

i align it by eye and using my fingers to gage it all after i use the blocks . seems to work pretty good .

Watch out.....don't put a lighter duty chain on or that 450 will snap it.

• Baja trail Rider

Posted August 23, 2008 - 07:47 PM

I took a peice of pvc plastic pipe,cut it.Used a heat gun shaped it so it go's over 3 sides of sub frame.Drilled 3 holes for zip ties,many miles later it is fixed

• mightymart

Posted August 24, 2008 - 05:54 AM

Here is some pics of what I done to combat the frame munching !!!
http://www.thumperta...t=506212&page=2

• aquaspeleo

Posted August 24, 2008 - 06:35 AM

Many thanks guys, your remedies are of great assistance, in a weird sort of a way its reassuring to know that others suffer with the same problem and its not something I'm doing wrong or unique to my machine.

Thanks again guys I really apreciate your assistance and good advice. :thumbsup:

kindest regards

Al

• crooks420

Posted August 25, 2008 - 06:24 PM

It's an easy fix, check the classifieds or ebay.

Jesse

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wr 400 mikky

Posted September 04, 2008 - 12:40 AM

:worthy: looks like a good fix, i`m copying that one!:thumbsup:

• MaxPower

Posted September 04, 2008 - 10:18 AM

Posted Image

[COLOR="Green"]I bought one of these from Crooks420
I cant understand why anyone would want to use anything else
Super sano fit.Looks factory.Works perfect.I didnt use zips to fasten mine. I used silicone.He made it fit so perfect that it pretty much snaps on.
I saw them for sale here in the classified and on ebay[/COLOR]

• Charles De Mar

Posted September 04, 2008 - 11:40 AM

I have an 06 and short of a couple little nicks, my subframe is not being munched on!

• Strattos

Posted September 26, 2008 - 10:17 PM

I'm having similar problems to you guys, except on my bike it's eating into the main frame, not the sub frame.

I want to go to the tighter end of the chain slack measurement detailed in the manual, but want to double check, is the measurement taken from the base of the bolt holding the guide to the swingarm and the upper edge of the chain?

Or is it to the lower edge of the chain - ie closest to the swingarm.

I know i'm being picky but given i'm going to be working at the tighter end of the tolerance I want to make sure i'm getting the right measurement, as there's a good 10mm difference between lower and upper edge of chain.

I don't want to go too tight and screw my countershaft

• doctorchopper

Posted September 27, 2008 - 12:51 AM

KJ790 has a valid point, if the wheel alignment is off it will drive the chain over toward the subframe. I must check mine

• Fullbore4

Posted September 27, 2008 - 11:43 AM

I'm having similar problems to you guys, except on my bike it's eating into the main frame, not the sub frame.

I want to go to the tighter end of the chain slack measurement detailed in the manual, but want to double check, is the measurement taken from the base of the bolt holding the guide to the swingarm and the upper edge of the chain?

Or is it to the lower edge of the chain - ie closest to the swingarm.

I know i'm being picky but given i'm going to be working at the tighter end of the tolerance I want to make sure i'm getting the right measurement, as there's a good 10mm difference between lower and upper edge of chain.

I don't want to go too tight and screw my countershaft

To the lower edge of the chain.

• mightymart

Posted September 28, 2008 - 07:30 AM

This may help
Posted Image

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.