Daves mods complete!

9 replies to this topic
  • hondaxr650Lpigswin

Posted June 13, 2007 - 01:17 PM

I am finished with "daves mods" for my 2003 xr650L! The bike runs great, has way more pull throughout the gears, starts and idles like never before:) this mod is a must for 650l owners! i installed a fmf q2 afterwards, adding a bit more power and smootheness. I went with 160main, 55 pilot, a bit less than 2 screws out, 1 dubro washer for the needle. I ordered the jets from
"carb parts" and received them in 4 days:) Id like to thank everyone who responded to my forum questions, the bike runs great!

• Huffa 2

Posted June 13, 2007 - 04:54 PM

The FMF Q2, is that a complete system including the header or just the muffler?

" 1 dubro washer for the needle. " :thumbsup: What is that?

• Bibleman

Posted June 13, 2007 - 05:25 PM

That's the exact setup I have and I really like it.

• meterman

Posted June 13, 2007 - 06:08 PM

did you remove the smog stuff?? my carb is off as we speek and doing daves mods my self. just need jets.. anything i need to no before i open up the carb?

• hondaxr650Lpigswin

Posted June 13, 2007 - 10:26 PM

I have the q2 tailpipe only atm. I cant seem to find a aftermarket header for the 650l. I was looking for the fmf powerbomb header, but would be interested in any better than stock replacement....any ideas?? the washer is a steel Du-bro #4 cat.no.323 the exact measurement is .13x278x.029 I found it easily at the local hobby shop. As far as the jets, i ordered them from "carb parts" and was happy with the service. I initially got the wrong jets from the honda dealer(twice!)...the kids working there dont know what the hell they are doing when it comes to proper jets etc...I found it to be less of a headache to order them from carb parts. The carb is easy to work on, its pretty simple as long as you follow daves diagram. One thing to watch out for is how soft the jets are when tightening/unscrewing. I actually cracked the pilot jet in half with moderate pressure from the screwdriver. Luckily i was able to get it out without too much trouble. Be gentle when tightening!! lol
for those of you who need to order jets: the 8mm main jet is #99101-393-160
substitute the last 3 digits for the jet size you prefer, i ordered a 158 also... (99101-393-158). The 23.5 slow or pilot # is N424-26-055 i also ordered a 58 pilot jet just in case (N424-26-058)

I also removed all the smog equipment and blocked it off....i also removed the snorkel from the airbox

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Huffa 2

Posted June 14, 2007 - 02:07 AM

Here is one, they have the add messed uo mentioning (in details) a XR 400 but I'm sure this is for ours ..........

http://www.xrsonly.c...emart&Itemid=77

I love the stainless steel.

• mcfly

Posted June 14, 2007 - 06:17 AM

The FMF Q2, is that a complete system including the header or just the muffler?

" 1 dubro washer for the needle. " :thumbsup: What is that?

I cheated by just taking the needle to my local home hardware store, that is a 5 minute walk away, and getting one that looked like a good fit.
Never measured the thickness.
It seems to work well. :thumbsup:

• hondaxr650Lpigswin

Posted June 15, 2007 - 12:15 AM

Hay huffa that xr only header looks bad arse!...i wonder if it would fit the fmf q2 tailpipe? of course the q2 fits the stock header, so if the xronly header fits the stock tailpipe im thinking i could pair my Q2 with the xr only header....id be stoked, anyone know if this is possible?please say yes lol

• Huffa 2

Posted June 15, 2007 - 03:09 AM

Either that or you might be interested in this internal/external ceramic coated satin silver finished bad boy ?

This whole system looks very inviting to me. It has a US Forestry Service approved screen type spark arrestor and a Big Gun Vortex quiet insert. Wonder how quiet it really is?
I'd like to at least hear my motor a little more then what the stocker sounds like. Our home vacum cleaner is louder!

http://www.bikebandi...tion_Path~4.asp

Posted Image

Posted Image

• hondaxr650Lpigswin

Posted June 15, 2007 - 10:12 AM

thx for the pics:) that one good lookn pipe!

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.