Anyone changed sprocket gear ratios?

8 replies to this topic
  • cklinger

Posted June 13, 2007 - 10:23 AM

I need to replace my rear sprocket and chain... so I was thinking about a little re-gearing. The stock setup (I think) on my 00' WR400 has a 14 tooth in front and a 50 tooth in back. Is anyone out there in cyberland running anything different? If so, how do you like your set-up? I was thinking about going with a 52 tooth sprocket in back for more low-end torque...

• xrmarty

Posted June 13, 2007 - 10:52 AM

changing by only 2 T's in the back will have some but very little effect on the overall gear ration. IMO, if you really want to see a difference go down 1t in the front. The front sprockets are cheap enough so that if you don't like it, it's not big deal. Also, it's really easy to go back and forth between sprockets in the front.

• cklinger

Posted June 13, 2007 - 11:08 AM

Does the front sprocket have to be impacted?? A friend told me I'd need an impact driver to change it out... being that it's part of the transmission and all... that true?

• Thom_McNabb

Posted June 13, 2007 - 11:24 AM

I have a 13t and a 15t, the stock 14 is good for almost everything. I use the 13 with a trials tire for tight trails in the summertime. I use the 15 when going on long dualsports. I have raced enduros after being too lazy to change the 13 or the 15 on different occasions and the bike was so versatile it did not really matter.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xrmarty

Posted June 13, 2007 - 10:15 PM

Does the front sprocket have to be impacted?? A friend told me I'd need an impact driver to change it out... being that it's part of the transmission and all... that true?

I haven't done it on my WR yet. I've done it on my two other bikes though. Impact wrench can help, but if you stabilize the rear wheel I doubt you have to have one. You can stick a rod or something carefully through the sprocket and under the swing arm to block the wheel from moving. Then you should be able to break it loose with breaker bar.

• gearb0x

Posted June 14, 2007 - 02:55 AM

I have a 13t and a 15t, the stock 14 is good for almost everything. I use the 13 with a trials tire for tight trails in the summertime. I use the 15 when going on long dualsports. I have raced enduros after being too lazy to change the 13 or the 15 on different occasions and the bike was so versatile it did not really matter.

I don't think it matters too much either, unless its a 250.

Mines running 14/48 atm (was 14/50) as I'm hitting the desert next weekend and i think I'm just gonna leave it as it is, was doing really tight snotty single track on the weekend and it was fine :thumbsup:

For reference my bike is a 98 Wr400 bored out to 426cc w/ hot cams

• 450high

Posted June 14, 2007 - 03:47 AM

I'm running 14 front and went from 50 to 53 on rear.My bike goes like a rocket down low and climbs hills fantastic.I stay in third nearly all the time and it grunts well.

• Oasis_Flame

Posted June 14, 2007 - 12:41 PM

14/48 desert riding

• clark4131

Posted June 14, 2007 - 08:16 PM

13/49 woods and singletrack...SC

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.