Do I need a Damping Rod Holder or not????

12 replies to this topic
  • creeker

Posted June 13, 2007 - 10:08 AM

I have searched TT, other forums and the web and some places say you need the damper rod holder and others say you don't. I am replacing the fork oil and seals in my 00' YZ426f. Do I really need a damping rod holder or can I just extend the forks really hard to get them apart?

Thanks!

• OUCR250R

Posted June 13, 2007 - 10:28 AM

You have to have the damping rod bolt out before you can separate the fork legs by pullling them apart hard like you described earlier. You don't necessarily need a damping rod holder. I use an air impact. It spins the nut fast enough that you don't need to hold the inner nut.

• creeker

Posted June 13, 2007 - 10:43 AM

I see... that makes a lot more sense then! :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted June 13, 2007 - 10:45 AM

The rod must be separated from the fork cap, but that's done with common tools. The cartridge holder is used to unscrew the base valve from the bottom of the fork, but it is not strictly necessary to do that in order to change oil or seals. It does make it much easier to do a good job of cleaning out the valve assembly, but it isn't absolutely required, either.

• creeker

Posted June 13, 2007 - 10:51 AM

I have removed the fork cap, spring, push rod, etc... but the damper rod is still intact, does this need to be removed?

• grayracer513

Posted June 13, 2007 - 10:55 AM

The damper rod is a part of the cartridge. As I said, the cartridge does not have to be removed to chnage oil or seals.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • creeker

Posted June 13, 2007 - 10:56 AM

Thanks grayracer, just wanted to clarify before I went to forcing the forks apart.

• SC_Spode

Posted June 13, 2007 - 12:13 PM

Thanks grayracer, just wanted to clarify before I went to forcing the forks apart.

Please clarify -

Have you pulled the wiper down and removed the fork seal retaining clip underneath it?

You might want to do this before you try to start slide hammering them apart.

:thumbsup:

• creeker

Posted June 13, 2007 - 02:51 PM

Please clarify -

Have you pulled the wiper down and removed the fork seal retaining clip underneath it?

You might want to do this before you try to start slide hammering them apart.

:thumbsup:

Yeah, I have slide the wiper down, retaining clip, etc...

• SC_Spode

Posted June 13, 2007 - 06:37 PM

Yeah, I have slide the wiper down, retaining clip, etc...

10-4. :thumbsup:

• creeker

Posted June 14, 2007 - 04:12 AM

Tried extending the forks forcefully last night and they came right apart... cleaned them up really good and installed the new seal. Works like a charm!

Some advice please, I read a thread that Grayracer had posted to that said that 110 mm of oil from the top, compressed, worked best for him.

Any suggestions for a intermediate rider that generally rides woods/trails that weighs 200lbs?

• Markopolo400

Posted June 14, 2007 - 05:50 AM

I usually go with 100mm from the top as a baseline on my YZ400F, and it works great for me, but I am 230lbs, racing on stock suspension. :thumbsup:

• creeker

Posted June 18, 2007 - 09:24 AM

Took the bike out Saturday with the new fork seals and oil and it was great! I went with 110mm for the fluid and that seemed to work about perfect.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.