XR600 CDI on XR650L

11 replies to this topic
  • crmc33

Posted June 13, 2007 - 03:23 AM

Hi,

Im looking for some help in assertaining the wiring orientation for a XR600 CDI unit. Im fitting a XR600 performance CDI onto my XR650L based racer and need to build a loom to connect the CDI to the XR600 ac generator etc.

Can anyone indicate what (colour) wires go where into a XR600 CDI???

Any help is much appreciated.

The results will be dyno tested and shared.

Cheers!

• Jeff@TheQuadShop

Posted June 13, 2007 - 04:36 AM

Those CDI's are completely different, that is going to be a very difficult swap.

• crmc33

Posted June 13, 2007 - 05:48 AM

I think you misunderstand me; Im using a XR600 stator, flywheel and regulator and just need to know what wires go where into the XR CDI as I will build a loom to suit.

• cleonard

Posted June 13, 2007 - 06:35 AM

As long as you are using a XR600 stator, it should be pretty easy. You do have the connector for the XR600 CDI right?

There are six wires for the XR600 CDI

Black/red - High voltage source from the stator
Black/white - Kill switch wire. Ground to kill engine.
Black/Yellow - Drive to coil
Blue/Yellow - Pulse coil
Green/White - Pulse coil
Green - Ground to frame

• martinfan30

Posted June 13, 2007 - 06:39 AM

I think you misunderstand me; Im using a XR600 stator, flywheel and regulator and just need to know what wires go where into the XR CDI as I will build a loom to suit.

how is it to install these parts on the L?

• crmc33

Posted June 13, 2007 - 07:18 AM

cleonard,

I dont yet have the connector for the XR CDI (Ive so far been using a XR650L CDI) but I will either get a used one or buy a new loom and strip it down.
If anyone can indicate which colour wire goes where into the CDI then that would be great as I wouldnt need to use the special plug fitting (I would fit individual connectors onto each of the terminals and silcone seal them)

martinfan30,
it shouldnt be difficult for me to fit the parts to my bike as the whole bike is a prototype racer and doesnt use a XRL chassis.
Ive recently tried using a Suzuki GS125 CDI and HT coil but wouldnt run roperly as it doesnt have enough advance on the timing for the 650.
Im hopeful that the xR600 stator and rotor will fit on to the XRL crank without too much effort. I dont currently run the electric start as the bike is for the race track only. Removing the starter and gears saves about 10Kg, most of which is off the crank!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted June 13, 2007 - 07:47 AM

I believe the XRL and the XR600R share the same connector physically, but wired differently.

Dave

• martinfan30

Posted June 13, 2007 - 08:18 AM

cleonard,

I dont yet have the connector for the XR CDI (Ive so far been using a XR650L CDI) but I will either get a used one or buy a new loom and strip it down.
If anyone can indicate which colour wire goes where into the CDI then that would be great as I wouldnt need to use the special plug fitting (I would fit individual connectors onto each of the terminals and silcone seal them)

martinfan30,
it shouldnt be difficult for me to fit the parts to my bike as the whole bike is a prototype racer and doesnt use a XRL chassis.
Ive recently tried using a Suzuki GS125 CDI and HT coil but wouldnt run roperly as it doesnt have enough advance on the timing for the 650.
Im hopeful that the xR600 stator and rotor will fit on to the XRL crank without too much effort. I dont currently run the electric start as the bike is for the race track only. Removing the starter and gears saves about 10Kg, most of which is off the crank!

oh, so you havent fitted the 600r stuff to your L engine yet? let me know how it goesw, im very interested in this mod. if it goes ok i will be doing it also! thx.:thumbsup:

• cleonard

Posted June 13, 2007 - 09:40 AM

There is a recurring ebay ad for a CDI and it has a image showing which color wire goes where. Not 100% sure it's right as I have never compared it with the actual connector.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...sspagenameZWDVW

Those colors are for the XR400 I think.

• DGXR

Posted June 13, 2007 - 10:22 AM

There is a recurring ebay ad for a CDI and it has a image showing which color wire goes where. Not 100% sure it's right as I have never compared it with the actual connector.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...sspagenameZWDVW

I got one of these hot CDI boxes from eBay for my 500 but of course it was made for the 83-85 XR350R & 500R, not the 600 like this one. Anyway, the wiring diagram that came with the hot CDI worked out OK except my harness did not have a brown wire like the diagram called for. So I connected all the other wires that matched colors in the diagram and the one remaining wire on my harness was green/white so I connected it to the remaining CDI connector where the diagram indicated a brown wire. It ran great, so I guess on the 500 the grn/wht wire goes to the brown connector. Hope this helps.

(P.S. It ran great for about a year, with the hot box it made a little more noise in the valvetrain area like it was more stressed out but it was not deto/pinging because I know what THAT sounds like! But after a year it started smoking pretty much all the time, not a lot of smoke but consistent smoke. I ride at WOT a lot so maybe that had something to do with it, but I'm always up on maintenance it so it's hard to say exactly what it was. Just recently I put the stock CDI back in and it stopped smoking? :thumbsup:)

• rmhrc630

Posted June 13, 2007 - 12:25 PM

Hi,

Im looking for some help in assertaining the wiring orientation for a XR600 CDI unit. Im fitting a XR600 performance CDI onto my XR650L based racer and need to build a loom to connect the CDI to the XR600 ac generator etc.

Can anyone indicate what (colour) wires go where into a XR600 CDI???

Any help is much appreciated.

The results will be dyno tested and shared.

Cheers!

I have done what you're doing. It was like wiring a bomb. Yes connector is indentical.

The 600 CDI is very basic - it needs power and ability to discharge. I'll see if I can dig up the wiring diagram I had made for the installation of a 600R CDI on my 600R.

• crmc33

Posted June 14, 2007 - 02:48 AM

That would be great.
Im also looking into adjusting the igntion pulser coil on the RHS crank end to add a little more advance timing.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.