Engine blow by

4 replies to this topic
  • Solo

Posted June 12, 2007 - 09:59 PM

How much blow by is normal on these bikes? When it's running I can feel the air moving at the vent tube. After a ride it drips some oil out of the tube.

Is that normal?

• byggd

Posted June 13, 2007 - 03:54 AM

Completely normal. Do a search, it's been covered many times.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Solo

Posted June 13, 2007 - 08:00 AM

Thanks for the answer. I tried the search but came up empty- probably not using good search terms.

Most of my engine experience is with cars and my street bike that are multi-cyl and have crankcase recovery vents. This open venting is a little new to me.

• byggd

Posted June 13, 2007 - 01:01 PM

It can be a little messy if you have a skid plate. Some guys run them back so it drips on the chain while others run them to their airbox because if you stall during a water crossing it can suck water up while kicking it. One guy ran it up in front of the gas tank and put a breather on it.

• C-P

Posted June 13, 2007 - 07:35 PM

Mine does exactly the same...when I bought it, previous owner had run it up over the airbox...oil everywhere! I ran it down to the skidplate, finally rerouted so it aims at my chain, might as well make use of the drips. Just noticed today how much air shoots out of there, too!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.