Ah the dreaded shifter sticking... HELP!

1 reply to this topic
  • tecdady

Posted June 12, 2007 - 08:53 PM

yeah im one of the lucky ones.. ive read all the posts on here. no luck. i have an '03 yz450 that is fully sumo converted. shifter sticks down when down shifting. which if any of you race sumo, you know that EQUALS DEATH. im so frustrated. took the right cover of. pulled the shift shaft through the motor. doesnt seem bent. the torsion spring is functional and fine. the bike litteraly has probably no more than 10 hours on it. im just frustrated that i have a $10k paper weight.

does anyone have a definitive fix for this? it seems this a common problem with these bikes from what i have read on this forum. the problem is, each thread is different as to what may or may not be the fix to this problem. the bike isnt in warranty anymore, so the dealer is out of the question. not to mention, when i took it to them, it came back, and has leaked oil EVER SINCE. not to mention the chips out of my clutch cover, and other scratches and dings. GOD dealers suck!

thanks for any and all help and suggestions. i really want to get this bike back up. i love riding it and its worthless on the track with a shift lever that sticks down.
-chris

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 12, 2007 - 09:34 PM

Dismantle the shifting linkage and slip the shaft bakin by itself to see if that's where the problem is. If so, try a new one, or clean up the bores it runs in. If not, ad parts back until you isolate the problem.

It's been heard of, but I'd hardly call it a common issue.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.