Dunlop 756 on front of '03 450

19 replies to this topic
  • John407

Posted June 12, 2007 - 08:45 PM

This is the best tire I've found yet for my 450. The tire I replaced was a year old so some of the improvement was due to new rubber but I don't remember this amount of improvement with the last new front tire.

Worth a try!!

• grayracer513

Posted June 12, 2007 - 09:05 PM

I've tried them. They're a good tire if you ride in truly intermediate soils most of the time. But I've found that they don't wear very well, and they don't work across as wide a range of soil types as do some other tires Dunlop offers. Specifically, the D742FA or the D745. The 742FA works from soft to hard/intermediate, but lacks a little in real hard pack. The 745 replaces the 739, and works as well or better on hard pack as the 739 does, but manages to also perform well in intermediate to softer intermediate, and doesn't completely give up in sand, either.

• 642MX

Posted June 13, 2007 - 04:27 AM

I stopped using 756's. They don't last very long in the rocks.......

• never59

Posted June 13, 2007 - 06:51 AM

If i was rich and found happiness in changing tires i would ride them. Unfortunately i am not rich and hate changing tires!!

This is the best tire I've found yet for my 450. The tire I replaced was a year old so some of the improvement was due to new rubber but I don't remember this amount of improvement with the last new front tire.

Worth a try!!

• CaptainKnobby

Posted June 13, 2007 - 07:14 AM

I've tried them. They're a good tire if you ride in truly intermediate soils most of the time. But I've found that they don't wear very well, and they don't work across as wide a range of soil types as do some other tires Dunlop offers. Specifically, the D742FA or the D745. The 742FA works from soft to hard/intermediate, but lacks a little in real hard pack. The 745 replaces the 739, and works as well or better on hard pack as the 739 does, but manages to also perform well in intermediate to softer intermediate, and doesn't completely give up in sand, either.

Well!! what do you think about the D952 front and rear.

• Ga426owner

Posted June 13, 2007 - 08:31 AM

it all depends on the soil conditions a GreyRacer is pointing out.......I hate 756s after the first ride....they do not hook up much after they have some wear and they wear too fast for me....period. Because I hate changing tires...i use what works best for me and the soil conditions I ride in...as well as what wears out the least....for me Michelin MS3 and Mh3 Starcross are the ticket.
the 756RR is a great tire...but it is roached usually after 1 or 2 rides....
952 - no info on from me.....

• never59

Posted June 13, 2007 - 09:26 AM

The 952 on the rear is great!! Lasts way way longer than a 756 and still hooks up great. I prefer a softer front tire and not as worried about wear. I got a michelin mh3 and really like it

• 642MX

Posted June 13, 2007 - 09:28 AM

952's are a great all around tire. They work well in all conditions and they wear like iron. The 952 is a lot like the Maxxis IT with better traction.

I've been using Pirelli Scorpion Pro's for awhile now. They last a good while and the traction is second to none. :thumbsup:

The down fall on the Pirelli's is price. :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted June 13, 2007 - 11:06 AM

I really like the 952 rear. Wears exceptionally well, hooks up very well in a wide range of soil conditions, and has a very wide and predictable transition from full traction to "broken loose", which makes it great in the corners.

I'm not quite as impressed with the 952 front, but it's a good all around tire that works pretty well from fairly hard to fairly soft.

The 742FA runs from mid soft to firm intermediate, and the 745 runs from soft intermediate to hard pack, and they work exceptionally within that range, not bad outside it. The 952 works across that entire range, but not as well as the other two do in their "sweet spot". If that makes sense.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted June 13, 2007 - 01:54 PM

I really like the 952 rear. Wears exceptionally well, hooks up very well in a wide range of soil conditions, and has a very wide and predictable transition from full traction to "broken loose", which makes it great in the corners.

I'm not quite as impressed with the 952 front, but it's a good all around tire that works pretty well from fairly hard to fairly soft.

The 742FA runs from mid soft to firm intermediate, and the 745 runs from soft intermediate to hard pack, and they work exceptionally within that range, not bad outside it. The 952 works across that entire range, but not as well as the other two do in their "sweet spot". If that makes sense.

Well!....I was just wondering about the D952's cause I just orderd a front and rear for my 06. I was hopeing to hear good things about the front I just wanted a front tire in the dunlop series that would not wash the front in out in loose soil and clay and a rear tire that would last a little longer than the 756 series,but since Ive already ordered them I guess they will have to do.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 13, 2007 - 02:27 PM

You'll like them better than the stock tires. The front works alright. The rear works great.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted June 13, 2007 - 02:40 PM

You'll like them better than the stock tires. The front works alright. The rear works great.

thanx!..... I feel alot better now:cheers:

• flintlock28

Posted June 13, 2007 - 02:56 PM

The 756 works pretty well when new, but performance diminishes as the wear goes on.

I took the advise of a lot of people on TT, and have been running the Pirelli Scorpion Pro up front.......much better tire overall on a lot of varied terrain.

When my 756 front got just a little worn, it was scary how it would wash out on hardpack, if there was the tiniest amount of gravel or loose stuff. The Pirelli inspires way more confidence on flat turns.

• grayracer513

Posted June 13, 2007 - 03:46 PM

Just curious, when you say "hardpack" in terms of Delaware, what are you talking about.

Here in SoCal, the hardpack is dry, packed clay that's so hard it's hard to dig with a pick (forget using a shovel), and by the end of the day, it has rubber marks all over it. It's like pavement with a layer of dust on top. Anyone running a Scorpion Pro on that kind of stuff?

• flintlock28

Posted June 13, 2007 - 04:22 PM

On the track that I ride, the track consists of dirt with a relatively high amount of clay as you described. From what I've been told, the original Top-soil was sold off by a Landscape company, and the poor quality dirt left behind, is clay-like with mulch occasionally thrown in to help. It's not too bad in the Spring and Fall, but during the Summer, it gets baked by the Sun, and gets almost as hard as what you described. In Spring, and Fall, as the mulch is mixed in, it actually gets somewhat loamy, especially when they occasionally run a Bulldozer through it, to turn it over. So you get a track that's occasionally loamy, and then goes to hardpack (clay like with loose dirt on top) I ride both the track and off-road in Pennsylvania, that has terrain from Coal, shale, Rocks, Loamy trail dirt, and occasional Sand, and Sand/dirt mixture. I've never found a tire that handles this Hodge-podge so well as the Scorpion Pro. It's the favorite front tire of Dwight Rudder the off-road forum moderator. I use the MT-16 Pirelli on the rear.

• grayracer513

Posted June 13, 2007 - 04:48 PM

I'm going to have to experiment with one, I suppose. SoCal is a monumental challenge in terms of tire selection. It's not at all uncommon to have hard and soft (but almost always dry) soils on the same ride. One of my "local" tracks is hard packed clay in some corners and 6 inches of the world's finest silt in others. Then there's the DG in the high desert areas; one of the worst traction problems I've ever had. Finding a good front tire to use here is usually a compromise at some level or another.

• John407

Posted June 13, 2007 - 07:36 PM

Interesting responses and opinions. My 756 was brand new, it now has about 8 motos and a couple of practices on it. I was impressed with it on hard pack dusty conditions for the first 4 motos, this suprized me since the 756 is a soft trerrain tire. The last 4 motos were in mud and it didn't scare me any where.
My last few front tires were Maxxis ITs, and before that I ran a few intermediate Dunlops and Michelin's. The 756 is the only one that I've put on this '03 450 that has had noticibly better feel. It sounds like the tire life may be short, so I'll enjoy it while I can.
I don't enjoy changing tires but if the improvement is this much every time I put a new one on I might put up with the bruised knuckles.

• grayracer513

Posted June 13, 2007 - 07:47 PM

The Maxxis IT was a very disappointing front tire. It wore surprisingly fast, considering the way the IT rear holds up, and it never really bit very well.

The 756 is far better than that. It's actually listed as an intermediate tire. The 773 is their soft terrain model.

• John407

Posted June 13, 2007 - 09:23 PM

What about back tires? I found a ouple of old Lagunacrosses and I still like them. They are good in sand , mud and loose dirt. They don't slip sideways like a lot of others, did and do. It also throws a mean roost,

• flintlock28

Posted June 14, 2007 - 10:09 AM

Try a Pirelli MT-16 on the rear....

Before the Pirelli, I used a Maxxis IT on the rear, and though it lasted a long time, it's performance was decent, but nothing spectacular. The Pirelli MT-16 hooks up much better, and is holding up well.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.