stainless steel oil filter or paper???

31 replies to this topic
  • mcflzwr450f

Posted June 12, 2007 - 08:27 PM

I picked up a Scott's stainless steel oil filter & was told by my dealer not to use it. I was told that you cannot get all the particles out of it and at worst case the filter falls apart and ruins your engine :thumbsup: The dealership said just use a new paper one for every oil change, I don't mind doing that. Has anyone had a bad experience with the stainless steel oil filter? Thanks.

• Murray Dorward

Posted June 12, 2007 - 09:46 PM

ask yourselve the question why would a reputable company like Scotts make a product that costs a small fortune, if it was no good and would fall apart ?

Looks as if your dealer is clueless and can only pay his rent with sales of oil filters, what a lot of crap,

Cheers

Muz
:thumbsup: :busted: :thumbsup:

• witdogg

Posted June 12, 2007 - 09:59 PM

I run stainless in both of my bikes, never had a problem or even heard of anyone having a problem.

• mcflzwr450f

Posted June 12, 2007 - 10:56 PM

ask yourselve the question why would a reputable company like Scotts make a product that costs a small fortune, if it was no good and would fall apart ?

Looks as if your dealer is clueless and can only pay his rent with sales of oil filters, what a lot of crap,

Cheers

Muz
:thumbsup: :busted: :thumbsup:

But in my dealers defense, it dose say on the packing of the filter that Scott's takes no responsibility for there filter if something should happen to it.

• eissinger4

Posted June 12, 2007 - 11:25 PM

Nice avatar. If TT knew what that actually was, I don't think they would let you use it. Funny, though!! Good luck keeping it!

• dazzabb

Posted June 13, 2007 - 12:12 AM

I agree with the dealer about the steel filter not being able to pick out all the smaller particles of metal that the paper filter pick-up. Dunno about the filter falling apart though, that seems OTT.

I used to run a steel filter (and had no problems to be honest) but now I run paper filters. The paper filters are so cheap to replace, I thought why take the chance with the steel filter.

• Murray Dorward

Posted June 13, 2007 - 02:12 AM

The standard paper oil filter stops particles down to 90 microns and the stainless steel Scotts filter stops particles down to 30 microns so your comment is unjustafied, when you take the average grain of table salt is 120 microns thick and a dust particle is 40 microns. The filter also filters up to 200% more filter area than a standard paper filter. Why would the product fall apart when its made of stainless steel ?Why do you think the Scotts filter is more expensive than a stock filter ? When you take the amount of damage that is happening to your engine the cost of a Scotts filter is miniumum.

Dont knock a product if you have no idea what your talking about

Cheers

Muz
:thumbsup:

• buda00

Posted June 13, 2007 - 02:32 AM

I own a shop which sells CRT stainless oil filters. I have run them in my team bikes for 2 years with no problems.

"The standard paper oil filter stops particles down to 90 microns and the stainless steel Scotts filter stops particles down to 30 microns so your comment is unjustafied, when you take the average grain of table salt is 120 microns thick and a dust particle is 40 microns" . why would you not want to run a filter that performs better than the standard paper?

Your dealer has told you this for his own financial gain. If you replace your filter every secon ride @ £5 a time and ride one day a week that is £130 a year. In relation to £39.95 for a stainless oil filter that you only have to by once.

Alternativeley if you blow you cylinder head gasket it takes a good few oil changes and filters to completely clean out. Again ££'s in the bank.

Hope this helps

• TooFast

Posted June 13, 2007 - 08:01 AM

Scotts doesn't make the SS filter, I know who sells it to them.

All claims are unsubstatiated, just marketing hype.

These filters need to be tested in an independent laboratory under one of the filter testing standards to mean anything.

Yes there have been problems with these filters collapsing and bypassing

Yes there are cleaning issues

Just use paper filters and throw them with their accumulation away

• meyer1son

Posted June 13, 2007 - 09:09 AM

Yeah and car manufacturers make very few of the parts that go into the cars you buy! So what...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dazzabb

Posted June 13, 2007 - 05:47 PM

The standard paper oil filter stops particles down to 90 microns and the stainless steel Scotts filter stops particles down to 30 microns so your comment is unjustafied, when you take the average grain of table salt is 120 microns thick and a dust particle is 40 microns. The filter also filters up to 200% more filter area than a standard paper filter. Why would the product fall apart when its made of stainless steel ?Why do you think the Scotts filter is more expensive than a stock filter ? When you take the amount of damage that is happening to your engine the cost of a Scotts filter is miniumum.

Dont knock a product if you have no idea what your talking about

Cheers

Muz
:thumbsup:

You have just quoted directly from Scotts website which is obviously designed to put their product in the best possible light! Sucked in by the advertising.

As Toofast says they need to be independently tested.

As you seem think your the expert, the "standard" paper filter Scotts quote in there speel, talk about a wideranging, is that standard for all the manufacturers, Honda , Yamaha, Suzuki or what.
What about the paper racing filters should we disregard all those too?

Oh and I wasn't knocking the Scotts filter I merely stated a my preference for the paper ones.

• Solo

Posted June 13, 2007 - 08:14 PM

I've seen quite a few independent studies done on car filters that often pointed to the OEM filter being the best filter in most cases. I realize that it doesn't automaticly pertain to motorcycles but I'm happy just using the OEM filters in all of my machines, cars, bikes, etc.

• Oasis_Flame

Posted June 14, 2007 - 12:44 PM

Your dealer is on crack, 6000 miles with a Scotts filter and I'm sure I'll go 6000 more. :thumbsup:

• GCannon

Posted June 14, 2007 - 02:36 PM

Cheers

Muz
:busted: :lol: :cheers:

Ask Yourself the question: Why would your Dealership want you to use a new OEM filter every time you change your oil and not want you to use one reusable oil filter forever?:bonk: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Desracer

Posted June 14, 2007 - 09:01 PM

Does this " Crack Dealer " sell only OEM filters to you or the EL Cheapo ones? The OEM filters have to be the best because the manufactuer says so? Do they make their own filters or have the made to their spec's and put them in a fancy cardboard box. The stainless filter flows more oil on cold start up also, unlike paper ones. I have a Scotts filter that has made it 5 years, works great! In 5 years time I could buy another bike with the money I saved on paper filters. Check that with the independant lab!

• cwimilan

Posted June 14, 2007 - 09:25 PM

i use the screen filter from a 01 on my 450 wash it check for damage re use it cost 10 bucks i think,not sure of the microns,but never seems to be very dirty. i had a 98 400f put probly 10k miles on it(bunch of trips to baja) with no problem what so ever.

• dl19

Posted June 14, 2007 - 10:11 PM

Paper...finer filtration and not that expensive.

• mcflzwr450f

Posted June 15, 2007 - 08:26 AM

My dealer sells both but I don't buy any from him, I do almost all my buying on-line. My dealer had a bike recently that had a filter fall apart in the bike and destroy it, they didn't say if it was a Scott's just that it was a stainless one. They also said that its very hard to get a stainless 100% clean, so that's there reason on putting a new oem filter in every time. I do like the idea of better flow at start up, it sounds like the bike at the dealer was a one time thing to me! :thumbsup:

• risktaker

Posted November 14, 2007 - 11:39 AM

I bought my 01 WR 426 used and when I went top change the filter, i noticed there was a stainless steel filter behind the cover. Are there other brands of pleated SS filters? It is pleated. I put in a new ss filter that is not pleated but looked okay to me. I will try to post a pic.

Thanks

• tarmac_terrorist

Posted November 14, 2007 - 01:01 PM

I own a shop which sells CRT stainless oil filters. I have run them in my team bikes for 2 years with no problems.

"The standard paper oil filter stops particles down to 90 microns and the stainless steel Scotts filter stops particles down to 30 microns so your comment is unjustafied, when you take the average grain of table salt is 120 microns thick and a dust particle is 40 microns" . why would you not want to run a filter that performs better than the standard paper?

Your dealer has told you this for his own financial gain. If you replace your filter every secon ride @ £5 a time and ride one day a week that is £130 a year. In relation to £39.95 for a stainless oil filter that you only have to by once.

Alternativeley if you blow you cylinder head gasket it takes a good few oil changes and filters to completely clean out. Again ££'s in the bank.

Hope this helps

Im in the UK as well. Yamaha have charged me £11 ($22.50) for a filter. That is more expensive than the one on my mercedes...

I've looked at buying an uprated filter from TT but the P&P is a killer. any links or info as to where I can get a filter for £39.99?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.