Rear preload-confused!

6 replies to this topic
  • dazzabb

Posted June 12, 2007 - 05:37 PM

I just changed the spring on the shock to a softer spring.

After installing it with 247mm of spring pre-load when I pick up the back of the bike the is NO movement, the rear end comes straight of the ground.

Does that mean I have too soft a spring, too much pre-load or what?

I checked the race sag and it is 100mm and the static sag is 10mm, but to be honest I'm no really sure what that is telling me!

Cheers

• pkcof

Posted June 12, 2007 - 06:14 PM

I just changed the spring on the shock to a softer spring.

After installing it with 247mm of spring pre-load when I pick up the back of the bike the is NO movement, the rear end comes straight of the ground.

Does that mean I have too soft a spring, too much pre-load or what?

I checked the race sag and it is 100mm and the static sag is 10mm, but to be honest I'm no really sure what that is telling me!

Cheers

you just said that the 'static sag' is 10mm ??

• Murray Dorward

Posted June 12, 2007 - 09:52 PM

The static sag should be between 30-40mm. If your sag is 100mm and your static sag is 10mm then your spring is too soft. Go to www.mx-tech.com and use there spring calculator to work out the spring rate that you require to suit your weight with kit on.

Cheers

Muz
:thumbsup: :busted: :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pkcof

Posted June 13, 2007 - 10:29 PM

The static sag should be between 30-40mm. If your sag is 100mm and your static sag is 10mm then your spring is too soft. Go to www.mx-tech.com and use there spring calculator to work out the spring rate that you require to suit your weight with kit on.

Cheers

Muz

FIRST = set your race sag ... (105mm ~110mm) << as a rule of thumb
THEN = measure your static sag and let us know what that measurement is ??
Then we can let you know the next move ...
cheers

• dazzabb

Posted June 14, 2007 - 05:05 AM

PK,

OK I measured the race sag at 103 mm and the static sag at 29mm.

These is the best combination I can come up with after playing with the pre-load this arvo.

If I increase the pre-load to reduce race sag to 90-100mm as per the manual then the static sag decreases well below 29mm.

Basically looks like I have too soft a spring, but to be honest I'll probably live with it as it's not far off the recommended specs.

Have to try and compensate with the damping.

• Murray Dorward

Posted June 14, 2007 - 10:26 AM

You are border line, but if you can live with it is 99% better than a 10mm sag. You actually need the next spring up, but you should survive.

Cheers

Muz

• RJB

Posted July 30, 2007 - 05:15 AM

PK,

OK I measured the race sag at 103 mm and the static sag at 29mm.

These is the best combination I can come up with after playing with the pre-load this arvo.

If I increase the pre-load to reduce race sag to 90-100mm as per the manual then the static sag decreases well below 29mm.

Basically looks like I have too soft a spring, but to be honest I'll probably live with it as it's not far off the recommended specs.

Have to try and compensate with the damping.

Despite what the manual says, has anybody found the sag setting that works best on the 07 WR450? Would love to get mine right

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.