Cam chain specifications

4 replies to this topic
  • dmwaterdog

Posted June 12, 2007 - 03:54 PM

Has anyone come across specs for cam chain wear limits, such as pin to pin length for a given amount of links? The manual says to check for wear/damage - real useful.

• Big Tim

Posted June 12, 2007 - 04:32 PM

I always pull on the chain as it rolls over the gear to see if it pulls off of the cam gear. Mine never really pulls off of the gear. I assume someday it will. I also assume that the engine will let go before it gets to that point.

PS I have been told this by many old timer Motorcycle techs.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • David37

Posted June 12, 2007 - 08:34 PM

Stock cam chains are fairly cheap, less that $20. If you think your cam chain is worn, IMO I would just replace it, cheap insurance. If you're looking for wear patterns, I would look at the cam chain sprockets for excessive wear patterns.

• dmwaterdog

Posted June 13, 2007 - 07:17 AM

Who carries cam chains for $20 (or less)?

• David37

Posted June 13, 2007 - 07:05 PM

Check out the TT store or North County Yamaha (NCY).

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.