Am I asking to much...Opinion needed.

26 replies to this topic
  • Bluemarlin04

Posted June 12, 2007 - 02:20 PM

Im trying to sell my beloved wr400f because I cant afford to ride anymore and dont have the time. Its a 2000 wr400f. The clutch and piston were replaced in december and fork seals done in november. It has rad guards and braces, msr barkbusters, utah skid plate, msr frame guards, fmf powercore slip on and header. Its in mint shape for a 2000, is 2300$ to much to ask? :thumbsup:

• SJMC_DON

Posted June 12, 2007 - 02:24 PM

Im trying to sell my beloved wr400f because I cant afford to ride anymore and dont have the time. Its a 2000 wr400f. The clutch and piston were replaced in december and fork seals done in november. It has rad guards and braces, msr barkbusters, utah skid plate, msr frame guards, fmf powercore slip on and header. Its in mint shape for a 2000, is 2300$ to much to ask? :)

Not having any idea of what the Hawaiin market is like, that would be a fair price in WA state :thumbsup:

• PROWLER 58

Posted June 12, 2007 - 02:45 PM

thats the high end in ohio,but, if its mint like you say it may be worth it. guys dont want to buy an old bike thats been raced, i sure dont. if you havent raced it ,tell buyers that.if its got numbers on it,take them off. bob

• mcflzwr450f

Posted June 12, 2007 - 05:31 PM

If it's as clean as you say, it would sell in my area...post a pic.

• Bluemarlin04

Posted June 12, 2007 - 05:55 PM

let me get a pic, the bike has never been raced. I bought it from my friend who learned to ride on it, and the previous owner shipped it in from cali. Bike was actually stock until I bought it.

The market is more expensive in Hawaii, so im hoping this will sell. Im also including a dual sport kit with it that isnt on the bike. I hate to sell it but just dont have time to ride anymore.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Its dirty in the pic, its been washed since than and I have added the header. Am I crazy for wanting 2300$?

• pkcof

Posted June 12, 2007 - 06:11 PM

i would have thought that 'mint condition' meant 'as new' ?

• Bluemarlin04

Posted June 12, 2007 - 06:52 PM

i would have thought that 'mint condition' meant 'as new' ?

okay maybe great condition. Its about the best shape you could expect a 7 year old bike:excuseme:

• mcflzwr450f

Posted June 12, 2007 - 07:12 PM

Plastics look alittle beat...you should be able to get $2300 on your market.

• fdubaaron

Posted June 13, 2007 - 06:11 AM

Tighten yer chain.

• kenny1234

Posted June 13, 2007 - 06:56 AM

hey
why is it a selling point that its never been raced??????
you could look at it that if its been raced its been better looked after, if someone races regular then they ll be more likely to do maintenance etc so they dont get no dnfs this is way i look at it you might get a bike thats never been raced but the owner just rides no maintenance.
anyone i know who races looks after bike and anyone who i know who dont race just rides and complain s bout costs replaces all parts cheap as possible
just my 2cents

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BajaFool

Posted June 13, 2007 - 08:00 AM

I just checked the Kelley Blue Book for your motorcycle. The trade in price is $1645 and retail (what a dealer would ask for the motorcycle) is $2,450. Remember that trade in price is defined as what a dealer might pay for a motorcycle that is in exceptional condition and requires virtually no work on the part of the dealer to place it on the showroom floor. In short the trade in price is a mythical number that no dealer ever pays. Given you have a lot of extras. However, your bike in my opinion does not look to be in exceptional condition, at best I would say the condition of your motorcycle is average. I think you should be prepared to come down on your price, if you attract a potential buyer who wants to negotiate on the price. If after a week or so, you haven't attracted any lookers, then the market is telling you that you have overpriced the product.

I've sold ten motorcycles in my years of riding. I've always got my price, which has usually been a little over halfway between trade in and retail. I don't heavily modify my motorcycles, so I don't often have to worry about pricing extras. I do however spend a lot of time ensuring that the motorcycle is squicky clean, bare spots painted, shiny where it is supposed to be shiny and has nothing that is broken or does not work on it. So either I sold too cheap over the years or I sold just at the right price --- I guess I will never know.:thumbsup:

• Bluemarlin04

Posted June 13, 2007 - 10:42 AM

I just checked the Kelley Blue Book for your motorcycle. The trade in price is $1645 and retail (what a dealer would ask for the motorcycle) is $2,450. Remember that trade in price is defined as what a dealer might pay for a motorcycle that is in exceptional condition and requires virtually no work on the part of the dealer to place it on the showroom floor. In short the trade in price is a mythical number that no dealer ever pays. Given you have a lot of extras. However, your bike in my opinion does not look to be in exceptional condition, at best I would say the condition of your motorcycle is average. I think you should be prepared to come down on your price, if you attract a potential buyer who wants to negotiate on the price. If after a week or so, you haven't attracted any lookers, then the market is telling you that you have overpriced the product.

I've sold ten motorcycles in my years of riding. I've always got my price, which has usually been a little over halfway between trade in and retail. I don't heavily modify my motorcycles, so I don't often have to worry about pricing extras. I do however spend a lot of time ensuring that the motorcycle is squicky clean, bare spots painted, shiny where it is supposed to be shiny and has nothing that is broken or does not work on it. So either I sold too cheap over the years or I sold just at the right price --- I guess I will never know.:thumbsup:

thanks for the info, Im willing to negotiate but would like to stay around my price. I just feel stupid for buying parts and now not being able to ride:bonk:

• Bluemarlin04

Posted June 13, 2007 - 10:44 AM

and what should I do to make my bike seem to be in exceptional condition? any tips since you sold so many bikes, Ive never sold one before.

• PROWLER 58

Posted June 13, 2007 - 11:32 AM

hey
you could look at it that if its been raced its been better looked after, if someone races regular then they ll be more likely to do maintenance etc so they dont get no dnfs this is way i look at it you might get a bike thats never been raced but the owner just rides no maintenance.
anyone i know who races looks after bike and anyone who i know who dont race just rides and complain s bout costs replaces all parts cheap as possible
just my 2cents

you bring up a good point, but the general feeling of buyers is, a 7 yr old race bike has had the crap beaten out of it.the motor may be worn hard. thats just a generalization of course. when i sold my klx 650 back in 2002, it was 7 yrs old but i maintained it,never wrecked or raced it, and from 10-12 ft. it looked new..i got 2500 for it.... i was looking at the pics of the bike though, i think if he cleans it up, has a general tune up from a shop, he should get 2300 easily for it.

• Bshaips

Posted June 13, 2007 - 01:55 PM

i just boughta 1999 wr400 and im not saying that your is not very nice buy the one i bought is in awsome conbition and very low hours. it has some mods such as wight bros exhaust, skids, rad braces, frame guards, stock and yz plastic, and other misc parts and i only paid 1700 but it was a really good deal.

• SJMC_DON

Posted June 13, 2007 - 02:18 PM

hey
just my 2cents

Agreed - I will put my race bikes up against any weekend warrior in respect to maintenance and bolt on performance mods :thumbsup:

• SJMC_DON

Posted June 13, 2007 - 02:28 PM

We are talking about Hawaii here and I can see the market fetching higher prices :thumbsup: You should see the market for used bikes in Canada, BC:eek: bikes go for $1k more than they do here in WA state...

Here is a mint WR -

Posted Image

Just sold for $4300 in WA State... 2004, raced for two seasons:busted:

• Bluemarlin04

Posted June 13, 2007 - 06:31 PM

cool thanks..Im going to get it shiny and do a tune up than post it again and see what I get

• Bluemarlin04

Posted June 13, 2007 - 06:32 PM

i just boughta 1999 wr400 and im not saying that your is not very nice buy the one i bought is in awsome conbition and very low hours. it has some mods such as wight bros exhaust, skids, rad braces, frame guards, stock and yz plastic, and other misc parts and i only paid 1700 but it was a really good deal.

damn that is a good deal! but you must consider I live on island. Im willing to do 2100 but I really want 2300

• ToooFaarOutt

Posted June 13, 2007 - 07:08 PM

You are out of your mind. When I bought my 2001 426 in 2003 it only had 330 miles on it like new with all the goodies on it asv levers, wide foot pegs white bros exhaust,works frame guards, works radiator guards, great rubber. This bike was emaculate. No chips in the paint on the front lower frame from the front tire kicking up sand and rocks. I took it out 2 times and never tipped over or crashed and in just those 2 ride the bike look well used. However when I bought it used in early 2003 I only paid $2500. To tell you the truth the way your bike looks I would not even consider buying it if I were in the market for a bike. Good luck I think you might just want to keep it because in reality you might get $1500

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.