I Like Water and Mud

3 replies to this topic
  • Spoony

Posted January 23, 2001 - 05:50 AM

I had this post on the yz board but I dont think all that many guys trail ride as much as over hear (I dont have the bike yet but I have a very very good price I can get it for so I am thinking I might if I know it will be ok in a lot of water and mud)!!!!
I have read a lot of great stuff on this site in the past few wks since I found it but 1 topic I have not seen yet is how is the old big blue 2000 yz 426 when it comes to water and I mean lots of water I live in Minnesota and can find a lake on just about every trail ride were we go and we do like to see who can go the "deepest sometimes" not that much but the trails in the spring time are full of water and mud and I just love that type of rideing along with the hot dry stuff to. Any tips would be great
thanks in advace
Spoony

• Buck

Posted January 23, 2001 - 05:57 AM

I ride Enduros in Michigan, lower and upper, as well as in Indiana. I have never drowned out my bike before (WR400). It is like anything else line selection is the key. If you totally submerge the bike then, yes is is going to fill up with water. But as far as ridding in hub deep mud, deep puddles, creek, river, and swamp crossings. then yes this bike rules. Try and pack as much foam as you can in any open areas that you can find to keep the mud build up to a minimum. Have fun!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • techman

Posted February 02, 2001 - 06:49 AM

Do your carb vent hoses (T them up to the airbox, add orifice at bottom) and reroute the big vent hose from the cylinder head past carb to airbox. Then you should be good for near-fender water and for sure at least wheel-covering water. Do the big hose for avoiding mud-suck-in (someone else had a big problem with that, engine damage from sucked-in mud )

• James_Dean

Posted February 02, 2001 - 11:01 AM

Caution for deep water crossings:

Do not try to retart in deep water if you stall. The crankcase breather tube will draw water in on the piston's upstroke. Get the vent tube higher than the water first.

There are posts on how to route the breather tube up high on the bike for this situation. Clark had a good setup he posted.

[This message has been edited by James Dean (edited 02-02-2001).]

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.