03 yzf 450 overheat

3 replies to this topic
  • genuiskpy

Posted June 12, 2007 - 01:47 PM

how can i tell if my bike is running to hot.... after fast 40 minute ride in the desert temps @ 80degrees should the motor be to hot to touch.... id like to touch the different areas of the motor with my glove on and judge if its to hot the on the trails..... after my 20 min run fast run in the desert my motor wasnt burning but i could only keep my raw finger on the cyliner for 3 secs... what u guys think... suggestions??????? other smart ways to tell if its running to hot ??? bike has 40 hours on it since new

• crossedup1

Posted June 12, 2007 - 01:51 PM

if it boils over your coolant its to hot if it doesnt then no worries

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 12, 2007 - 02:55 PM

after my 20 min run fast run in the desert my motor wasnt burning but i could only keep my raw finger on the cyliner for 3 secs...

That means that the outside of the cylinder is around 160 degrees. Not very hot. You're never going to be able to gauge the temperature that way.

If the coolant isn't blowing off pressure at the overflow, you can be reasonably sure you're alright. If you need more info than that, get some temp tape from Pro Circuit.

By the way, your exhaust will glow red if you let it idle more than a minute or so.

• greentyler

Posted June 12, 2007 - 10:05 PM

In RacerX, I saw an ad for a rad cap that had a temp guage on it...

has anybody else seen this, or does anybody have one?

i think that would be a great idea.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.