xr650l carb mod..dyno jet kit or daves mod?????

24 replies to this topic
  • meterman

Posted June 12, 2007 - 12:54 PM

i want to get rid of the smog crap and re-jet the carb on my 2002 xr650l. what do you reccomand the dyno jet kit or daves carb mod on 4strokes.com???:thumbsup:

• martinfan30

Posted June 12, 2007 - 01:00 PM

i went with the djet kit and liked it. tho daves mods are cheaper and get similar results. i just liked the fact that djet gives a new differently shaped needle, for a reason. but on the other hand i havent heard any negatives on daves mods other than being slightly rich at times.

• Rman of 237

Posted June 12, 2007 - 04:13 PM

Hey meterman,
I see you live in CA. Be carefull removing the smog kit in your state as the Cops are trained to look for desmogged and uncorked bikes. Don't sell or throw away your parts as you will need to reinstall all smog parts to get your bike inspected anually.
I don't live there but I have heard stories of folks from out of state getting tickets for riding into CA. under their standards.
Just a thought,
R......

• lhark

Posted June 12, 2007 - 04:31 PM

I've had good luck with the Dynojet setup on many different machines. I like the needles they use, too.

• goblin127

Posted June 12, 2007 - 07:51 PM

I started with DJ kit,but after changing over to the Daves mods the bike ran better. I didn't see any improvement after I took off the smog stuff.

• pigryder

Posted June 13, 2007 - 04:31 AM

:thumbsup: DAVES MODS :thumbsup:

• pgiinc

Posted June 13, 2007 - 06:04 AM

daves mod all the way

• gabriel

Posted June 13, 2007 - 06:30 AM

Hey meterman,
I see you live in CA. Be carefull removing the smog kit in your state as the Cops are trained to look for desmogged and uncorked bikes. Don't sell or throw away your parts as you will need to reinstall all smog parts to get your bike inspected anually.
I don't live there but I have heard stories of folks from out of state getting tickets for riding into CA. under their standards.
Just a thought,
R......

100% false :thumbsup:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted June 13, 2007 - 07:49 AM

100% false :thumbsup:

Although it is prudent to keep the smog carp just in case...

Dave

• mcfly

Posted June 13, 2007 - 07:57 AM

daves mod all the way

They are easy to do, and on my bike worked well.
I also removed the pollution control crap, and it reduced the pops and backfires by abot 90%.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Adamsvh67

Posted June 13, 2007 - 03:32 PM

1) I agree with Dave and Rman. Keep all you take off just in case. You won't make much, and it'll cost a butt-load of money to replace if necessary.

2) Dynojet vs. Daves' mods. This is a toughie! I went with Dynojet under advice from the head thumper guy at my local Honda shop. He said to go Dynojet. The lighter spring alleviates the need for drilling the slide, and their proprietary titanium needle is tops in his opinion. I have not regretted my decision.I went this route mainly because I had not read much about folks at higher elevations using these mods-mostly around sea level.
My 2 cents... :thumbsup:
AV

• Terez

Posted June 13, 2007 - 06:14 PM

I am running the Dynojet kit with the snorkel out and a Supertrapp slip on with 8 disks. screw 2.25 out.
Sea level.

Bike runs much better than stock.

I noticed the DJ kit doesn't replace the stock pilot?
Seems a bit richer on the pilot would start and come off idle better, especially at sea level?

Does anyone run a step richer pilot with the DJ kit?

What is the next best improvement now?
High comp piston??

• martinfan30

Posted June 13, 2007 - 07:27 PM

I am running the Dynojet kit with the snorkel out and a Supertrapp slip on with 8 disks. screw 2.25 out.
Sea level.

Bike runs much better than stock.

I noticed the DJ kit doesn't replace the stock pilot?
Seems a bit richer on the pilot would start and come off idle better, especially at sea level?

Does anyone run a step richer pilot with the DJ kit?

What is the next best improvement now?
High comp piston??

i didnt change my pilot with the djet kit and it ran stellar at 3500 ft. to about 5500 ft. then it got really rich down low. then i put on the fcr 41 pumper and it improved all the way across the board, no matter what ele.

• hondaxr650Lpigswin

Posted June 13, 2007 - 10:40 PM

I went with daves mods and am stoked i did:) The bike runs great! Ive seen posts on the forums regarding this, and people always give Daves mod the nod. A few peeps had used the dyno kit before trying daves mod, and they all agreed daves was the way to go. Nobody preferred the dyno kit. personally i never used the dyno kit, but am happy i didnt.

• XRHONDA

Posted October 09, 2007 - 08:53 PM

Excuse my ignorance but what exactly does Daves mods consist of and where do I find out more about it. I ride a "02" XR650R and want to know if this is something that I should do to my bike.

• martinfan30

Posted October 09, 2007 - 08:56 PM

Excuse my ignorance but what exactly does Daves mods consist of and where do I find out more about it. I ride a "02" XR650R and want to know if this is something that I should do to my bike.

sorry, daves mods dont apply to the R. you can however, richen up the jetting a touch to help. just depends on your riding style and elevation mostly.

• GarrettXRL

Posted November 02, 2007 - 05:40 PM

Hi Folks,

Done Daves Mods, jetted 152/52. UNI filter, desmogged, de-snorkelled, .024 shim, drilled slide, stock muffler. I'm at 3800 ASL. The bike runs well but I can't say I have noticed big gains in performance. Slightly more torque but no extra top end. The bike does run smoother with better throttle response but I won't be doing 2nd gear wheelies like some have reported.

Eddie figures the 152 should be good for my elevation and I've been thinking about trying a thicker shim to see if that will increase mid range performance. I have a .03 washer I may try. Think it'll work? I really don't want to go with aftermarket exhaust. I'm not a fan of extra noise, and muffler re-packing. I also may try a 154 jet but think that may be too rich for my elevation. I'm getting pretty good at ripping it apart and putting it back together. Those that are concerned, just dive in it's straightforward.

Any thoughts?

Garrett

• XR650L_Dave

Posted November 05, 2007 - 08:53 AM

Only problem with jetting is, you never know what's right until you try too lean, too rich, and just right.

My guess, at 3800, maybe you're a skosh lean, but I've always been pretty much a sea-level boy.

Also, if they run any ethanol in the gasoline, you have to jet richer to compensate. 10% ethanol will completely mess up your jetting.

Dave

• martinfan30

Posted November 05, 2007 - 09:09 AM

152 sounds lean. the perfect jetting for my fcr at 4300 ft.(after many jetting jobs) is 158/52, emr needle(3rd clip), and 1.5 turns out.

• cefox

Posted November 10, 2007 - 08:47 AM

After having used the Dynojet kit on several customers bikes and Dave's mod on my own bike, I hafta say Daves mod is better . But it does seem to decrease fuel mileage slightly over the DJ kit. I'm at about 34 mpg right now.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.