Acerbis tank for 2006 YZ450

11 replies to this topic
  • r1rider871

Posted June 12, 2007 - 09:27 AM

Does anyone know if the 03-05 Acerbis 3.3 tank will fit on my 06 yz450? I called Acerbis and the US distributer is Scott USA and they said their made in Italy and even they don't know if it will fit. They said the maker of them does not share that information. They are not sure if they will be making one for the 06-08 models either.

I guess I will have to go with the IMS tank if not. I have just been reading posts of them failing or cracking. Anyone with the IMS please give me your .02.

• grayracer513

Posted June 12, 2007 - 09:58 AM

Yes, I do. :thumbsup:

No, it won't. :)

I have a Clarke 2.8 on mine, and it's OK.

• Wiz636

Posted June 12, 2007 - 10:08 AM

I just bought an IMS 3.1 for my '06 and the fit and finish is nice but I haven't even put fuel in it yet. It looks good...doesn't have that big ugly 'oversize' look to it. I have IMS tanks on my RM250 and on my YZ426 and have had no problems with them.

• r1rider871

Posted June 12, 2007 - 12:24 PM

Yes, I do. :thumbsup:

No, it won't. :)

I have a Clarke 2.8 on mine, and it's OK.

Does the Clark have the cross over line with dual petcocks on it or do you have to lean over the bike to one side to use all the fuel?

• grayracer513

Posted June 12, 2007 - 12:34 PM

The Clarke comes drilled for one petcock (on the left), and has embedded nuts on the other side so it can be drilled if you choose.

I ran an '03 petcock on each side, running the line from the right side through a heat shielding sleeve and around the front of the engine to a Y fitting near the carb.

Here's a link to some pictures of it:

http://www.thumperta...918#post4069918

There's also pics of an IMS installation in that thread.

• r1rider871

Posted June 12, 2007 - 04:31 PM

The Clarke comes drilled for one petcock (on the left), and has embedded nuts on the other side so it can be drilled if you choose.

I ran an '03 petcock on each side, running the line from the right side through a heat shielding sleeve and around the front of the engine to a Y fitting near the carb.

Here's a link to some pictures of it:

http://www.thumperta...918#post4069918

There's also pics of an IMS installation in that thread.

Thanks Grayracer!!! That info was very useful.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ganadore

Posted June 12, 2007 - 05:43 PM

I have a black IMS 3.1 on my 450. Looks very close to stock and no issues as of yet. Here is a picture of it to see what a larger black tank looks like.Posted Image

• rtgincnm

Posted June 12, 2007 - 07:28 PM

Ganadore
Man you sold me. Looks great in black with the white plastic. I'm going to order one ASAP. Did you get the petcock and cap with the tank?

• grayracer513

Posted June 12, 2007 - 08:43 PM

Being able to see through the tank to determine the fuel level is a convenient feature of the "white" desert tanks.

• r1rider871

Posted June 12, 2007 - 08:51 PM

Being able to see through the tank to determine the fuel level is a convenient feature of the "white" desert tanks.

Can you see through the white tanks? I thought the natural was the one you can see through?

• grayracer513

Posted June 12, 2007 - 09:07 PM

Can you see through the white tanks? I thought the natural was the one you can see through?

That was what I meant. It looks pretty near white, even though it's not.

• Ganadore

Posted June 13, 2007 - 04:35 AM

Ganadore
Man you sold me. Looks great in black with the white plastic. I'm going to order one ASAP. Did you get the petcock and cap with the tank?

No, I just used the stock petcoct (turned 180 degrees facing towards the cylinder) and I am using the IMS cap that comes with the tank.

The black tank does not allow one to see the amount of gas that remains when compared to natural as Gray stated, but in WI, we do not have the endless desert rides others have thus the need is less. So I just purchased black so it looked closer to stock. Either way, its a great tank.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.