So the 08 has been announced, lets discuss

47 replies to this topic
  • adamdf

Posted June 13, 2007 - 03:27 AM

Gray,
if i remember clearly, the 08 does come with a 120/80 and not a 120/90. As far as the 08 goes i'm most interested in seeing what the steering head changes will do for the bike.

• motoxerc0

Posted June 13, 2007 - 03:47 AM

I wonder what the aftermarket exhaust will be like? Could they be even smaller or maybe longer? They cna prob. tune them better now since you have already started off small and go to a larger can. In transworld they said that the pipe was about as loud as the current 07 pipe

• charger01

Posted June 13, 2007 - 05:06 AM

The muffler is something of a revolution, if it works well. It's an actual baffled muffler, something along the lines of the flowmasters or the later high performance Corvette and Camaro systems. It won't ever need packing, as I undestand it, because it doesn't use any.

grayracer513,

I thought the same thing about the muffler not needing packing until I read this in the "Additional Features" section of the new 08........."Repackable exhaust silencer." There must be some kind of packing still. :thumbsup:

• Wyatt

Posted June 13, 2007 - 06:02 AM

It may be similar to a normal muffler with some sort of cone baffle in the core.

I have no doubt that taking that off and putting aftermarket exhaust on would still be the thing to do, just as it always has been.

• grayracer513

Posted June 13, 2007 - 06:21 AM

grayracer513,

I thought the same thing about the muffler not needing packing until I read this in the "Additional Features" section of the new 08........."Repackable exhaust silencer." There must be some kind of packing still. :thumbsup:

It may be similar to a normal muffler with some sort of cone baffle in the core.

I have no doubt that taking that off and putting aftermarket exhaust on would still be the thing to do, just as it always has been.

Conflicting info on the web page? You don't say? Wouldn't be the first time. Advanced info from Japan was that the muffler was an "entirely mechanical" system that was not packed, but that is subject to suspicion, too, I suppose. It could also be a hybrid of the two types. Either way, it's supposed to be quiet and effective, and it's certainly a different approach (finally). I guess we'll have to wait and see.

As to replacing it with just another aftermarket glasspack, I'd avoid rushing nto that, too. Yamaha has some of the best factory exhaust systems on any of the big MX bikes, and the gains you get from the aftermarket are usually much more a matter of rearranging the power curve, rather than gains in raw numbers.

• Wiz636

Posted June 13, 2007 - 08:18 AM

grayracer513,

I was talking to Dave at MRD yesterday and he said that the new '08 silencer, while mechanical, does have a thin layer of packing around the outside that acts as a heat shield since the baffled silencers run so hot.

• YzGuy79

Posted June 13, 2007 - 02:24 PM

...... The muffler is something of a revolution, if it works well. It's an actual baffled muffler, something along the lines of the flowmasters or the later high performance Corvette and Camaro systems. It won't ever need packing, as I undestand it, because it doesn't use any.

If it's baffled like a Flowmaster, that bike is going to sound sweet!

As far as the '08's, you guys can go ahead and buy them up. At that price I won't be buying a new bike for a long time!

• dirtking

Posted June 13, 2007 - 04:52 PM

Do you guys think the 08 exhaust and graphics will fit on an 06?

• grayracer513

Posted June 13, 2007 - 04:55 PM

I'd say so. Don't know for sure, of course.

• matts06yzf

Posted June 13, 2007 - 06:15 PM

If it's baffled like a Flowmaster, that bike is going to sound sweet!

As far as the '08's, you guys can go ahead and buy them up. At that price I won't be buying a new bike for a long time!

5839 otd on 08 when they come in late july early august abernathys. I got me one coming I will prob just keep 06 to screw it

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • warrior86

Posted June 13, 2007 - 07:15 PM

how the heck you gettina brand new bike below sticker price when it first comes out???!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• 6fiddy

Posted June 14, 2007 - 07:51 AM

[quote name='CLUTCHLESS']Hopefully the aftermarket companies will make smaller exhaust's for the 07.

They do, check out mrd racing. the pipe is amazing. :thumbsup: It will wake your 450 up like it was a sleeping grizzly. Awesome fit, lifetime guarantee too. dave makes them special, 1 at a time. Tell him what you want the pipe to do to your power curve and ITS DONE $399 shipped. AND it gave me WAYYYY better throttle response too, extra crisp, more low end, stronger mid, slightly stronger high but I dont rev there that much anyway..Jeff

• matts06yzf

Posted June 14, 2007 - 09:04 AM

how the heck you gettina brand new bike below sticker price when it first comes out???!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Just like 07 was 5600 and some change when it 1st came out always like that there do your homework before you buy. I would never even consider paying sticker for anything. They love guys like u, i dont finance and when u walk into a dealer and need to finance 1st thought they have is your payment and then they go for sticker. My very good friend owns Honda and Suk dealership here and its so funny watching the kids come in and apply once they get approved they get the bike at retail. People think Payment thats cars or anything, not a wise move.

• Climber

Posted June 14, 2007 - 11:00 AM

I think that Yamaha is making a mistake in not going FI when all the other colors are, this year. FI is a huge selling point to the average "Joe", even if perfomance numbers remain the same. Noone will avoid buying a honda, suzuki, kawi because they are FI. But, there are quite a few that will buy them because they are.

• adamdf

Posted June 14, 2007 - 11:05 AM

I think that Yamaha is making a mistake in not going FI when all the other colors are, this year. FI is a huge selling point to the average "Joe", even if perfomance numbers remain the same. Noone will avoid buying a honda, suzuki, kawi because they are FI. But, there are quite a few that will buy them because they are.

The 08 Kawis are not EFI, neither is the KTM and even though Transworld said that Honda will be EFI i am hearing that even that is not true any longer (hopefully TW was right though). Basically it seems so far that the only manufacturer will be Suzuk that gets EFI for 08. Rumour has it that the new zook will also have a new frame, practically an all new bike; if this is true i would expect RMZs to be flying off the showroom floors when they are released.

• yz_for_me

Posted June 14, 2007 - 01:25 PM

I expect a whole new YZF for '09. Think about it. '00-'02 was the 426 and '03-'05 was the gen1 450. Yamaha seems to be on a three year model cycle. If they follow that pattern, we'll see an entirely new bike for '09. It also makes sense that Yamaha would introduce EFI with an entirely new model rather than cob it onto an existing bike that is at or near the end of its production cycle.

• mn519

Posted June 14, 2007 - 05:43 PM

Just like 07 was 5600 and some change when it 1st came out always like that there do your homework before you buy. I would never even consider paying sticker for anything. They love guys like u, i dont finance and when u walk into a dealer and need to finance 1st thought they have is your payment and then they go for sticker. My very good friend owns Honda and Suk dealership here and its so funny watching the kids come in and apply once they get approved they get the bike at retail. People think Payment thats cars or anything, not a wise move.

The 07 cost the dealer more then $5600. Not many dealers sell bikes at less then thier cost when it is still the current model year bike. not a wise financial move for a business.

• mn519

Posted June 14, 2007 - 05:47 PM

I expect a whole new YZF for '09. Think about it. '00-'02 was the 426 and '03-'05 was the gen1 450. Yamaha seems to be on a three year model cycle. If they follow that pattern, we'll see an entirely new bike for '09. It also makes sense that Yamaha would introduce EFI with an entirely new model rather than cob it onto an existing bike that is at or near the end of its production cycle.

Honda has mentioned a few times they are on a 3 model yr plan for major refinements, and if memory serves me I think Yamaha has mentioned the 3 yr plan also. I think that is how they must figure thier cost/gain reports for how long they need to get out of RnD to make it worth it. However I bet it will be an all new motor that efi is released on, in a current chassis. Then an all new chassis a yr or 2 later. That spreads the RnD cost out, and provides a 2 huge new introductions that will opens peoples wallets.

If someone has a new framed/new engined 09 they are not likely to buy an '10 if there are no changes. But if they buy the 09 for the efi they may buy the '10 also for the new frame. just my thinking though.

• grayracer513

Posted June 14, 2007 - 06:00 PM

The 07 cost the dealer more then $5600. Not many dealers sell bikes at less then thier cost when it is still the current model year bike. not a wise financial move for a business.

Not all dealers pay the same price for their rolling stock, and not all of them pay more than $5600. As far as selling at a loss, many states charge businesses a tax on their inventory, so that if you keep a $5500 bike around for a year, or if it's there at certain times of the year, it could end up costing $5800-$6100 overnight. Then how would you get your money out of it?

In addition, dated inventory takes up space that should be given over to fresh, more profitable stock, so having old stuff can become an opportunity cost if you loose a sale on a new bike because were understocked due to lack of floor space. And don't undervalue the goodwill and word-of-mouth promotion you get from giving just one customer a screaming deal on a bike. People talk.

• mn519

Posted June 14, 2007 - 06:14 PM

Not all dealers pay the same price for their rolling stock, and not all of them pay more than $5600. As far as selling at a loss, many states charge businesses a tax on their inventory, so that if you keep a $5500 bike around for a year, or if it's there at certain times of the year, it could end up costing $5800-$6100 overnight. Then how would you get your money out of it?

In addition, dated inventory takes up space that should be given over to fresh, more profitable stock, so having old stuff can become an opportunity cost if you loose a sale on a new bike because were understocked due to lack of floor space. And don't undervalue the goodwill and word-of-mouth promotion you get from giving just one customer a screaming deal on a bike. People talk.

True that word of mouth is priceless. But $5600 for an 07 when they first came out? my cost sheet says they cost 5983 and 6066(se). Wouldn't a dealer have to order a ton of them to get them for less?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.