XR650L oil capacity???

46 replies to this topic
  • jeffbaldwin5

Posted August 13, 2007 - 05:24 PM

I agree with most, the engine has to be warmed up. I have an 07 650L and an 87 xl650r and it seems to be the same. If you top it off cold, it way overfills it and when it warms up, oil will come out of the breather. I seem to find no consistency, except that while warm(Ride it for at least 10-15 minutes), keep it in between the Hi-Lo and you will have no problems.

FYI. My 87 still runs great. (One top end rebuild after 15 years):thumbsup:

• martinfan30

Posted August 13, 2007 - 07:29 PM

ah, a baldwin brother!LOL!

• DBM

Posted October 04, 2007 - 06:13 AM

I have an 07 XR650L. I am just like what is stated above - 2 quarts will not even get the stick wet - it takes almost 3 quarts to reach the top fill line. I have checked it several different ways and always end up with about 2 3/4 quarts of love juice after a oil/filter change.

Could it be that some of use let it drain longer therefore we need more to refill?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted October 04, 2007 - 07:58 AM

I'm down to "I start it and the temp guage gets hotter, so oil must be hitting it, so it must be enough!".

• Denn10

Posted October 04, 2007 - 08:35 AM

enough of this thread LOL its all written here everyones given their responces LOL

• JonXR650L

Posted February 22, 2013 - 06:07 PM

I have the same problem with my XR650L the oil capacity is never the recommend amount. I usually put in about 2 3/4 quarts to make it get up to the top of the dipstick and I think it's just because it's a dry sump system and is hard to get a correct reading. It shouldn't harm the bike as long as you keep and eye on it. It's better to have more more oil in an air cooled than less, so I would recommend just filling it up to the top. I talked to a dealership and what the mechanic told me was to ride if around for awhile in order to get the engine warmed up and have all of the oil go through the frame.

• Brent_D

Posted July 08, 2015 - 01:57 PM

I never get a correct reading this way on my XR600. It will always show low. In order to get a true reading the bike needs to be running for a little longer. The best way is to ride it for at least 5 if not 10 minutes. Shut down and check the oil level within 1 minute of shutdown. The best is to check it after a ride.

I find the same thing.  If it idles for "3-5 minutes" like the manual says it always shows low but if I ride it for ten minutes down the street and back it seems to show correct.

Related Content

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.