My front forks are leaking....What should I do?

7 replies to this topic
  • PatrickM

Posted June 11, 2007 - 10:27 PM

While riding today (taking a break), I noticed that the left fork on my YZ400F was leaking.

I recently purchased this bike and the front forks was not setup for me.

My question is.... Should I just fix the fork seals and wait till I know what i need from my front suspension or should I just have somebody just repace everything for my weight and size (new springs, valves and fluid).

the front fork were not stock in the first place...they were replaced with Race Tech forks by the previous owner.

I dont know what to do....

Please help!!!!

Patrick M.

• SC_Spode

Posted June 12, 2007 - 05:43 AM

Before you do too much, try pulling the wiper down and use a .003" feeler gauge to clean between the fork seal and the tube.

Slip the gauge in at an angle and move it with the top of the gauge angled in the direction of motion. This will allow any dirt or grit to be pushed down and out from under the seal. Do it several times on both legs until you don't see any more dirt.

Many times it's just dirt holding the seal away from the leg and allowing the fluid to leak past. It won't fix a damaged seal but it can help prevent good seals from becoming damaged.

Try this first. You've got nothing to lose and may save yourself the time and expense of replacing the seals.

:thumbsup:

• PatrickM

Posted June 12, 2007 - 11:15 AM

ok i can do that but i have fork seal saver on my bike. its those neoprene covers that protect the area near the fork seals. should i just cut them off or move them out of the way.

I have never messed with the forks before wha is the tools i would need to do what was said in the above post???

Patrick M.

• Ga426owner

Posted June 12, 2007 - 11:34 AM

Find a reputable suspension tuner in your area and get the forks and shock completely serviced and set up for your weight and ability......immediately:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jaycycle

Posted June 12, 2007 - 11:40 AM

ok i can do that but i have fork seal saver on my bike. its those neoprene covers that protect the area near the fork seals. should i just cut them off or move them out of the way.

I have never messed with the forks before wha is the tools i would need to do what was said in the above post???

Patrick M.

A feeler gauge, used to check valves. You can get them at any auto store. :thumbsup:

Although that is a good route to take first, I highly suggest doing suspension soon after. Something set up for you will do wonders.

• PatrickM

Posted June 12, 2007 - 02:09 PM

cool
thanks for the input

I called a bunchn of place and found a race tech guy that can get all the work done for a good price. I just need to wait till i get paid again before i can get the suspension done for me

is $100 for labor and $150 for parts a pretty good deal.

the guy wants to rebuilt the entire fork

Patrick M.

• DRH

Posted June 12, 2007 - 02:55 PM

Thats about par for the job. I would try and stop the leak first! If you know the previous owner I would try and find out what he had done and where and when. If he is about the same size as you with similar abilities then why do it all over again if its not necessary. Sometimes the shop keeps records and they could tell you how the forks were set up. Also, having the forks redone for you without doing the rear may not have the best results. You may want to find out if Race Tech did the rear shock when they did the forks. If they did, now you might have other issues to worry about if you only have the forks done. When my 99 400 started leaking I went through seals weekly, it irked me to no end. I finally bit the bullet and sent both ends to MX Tech. To this day, it was the best money ever spent for any of my dirt bikes. I never had another leaky seal again on that bike, and every click in the adjustments actually did something. I am sure most of the Suspension companys have similar results. But5 if it were me, I would spend a few dollars on phone calls before dropping money on a job that may or may not be beneficial.

• PatrickM

Posted June 13, 2007 - 03:43 PM

thanks for the idea!!!

I called the previous owner and he said that he did nothing with the suspension and that he bought it that way. he said the guy he bought it from was about his size (about 6' 2" and about 200-220 lbs).

I figure the sprngs need to be changed anyways. I weight 270lbs. I made some calls to race tech and they said (without looking at them) that for the type of riding i do, I would need atleast a .5 kg spring and what they think is in it right now is a .3 kg spring.

I also stopped by a couple of motorcycle shops and all of them recommended the same place that quoted me the price of $100 for laber and $150 for parts.

the best thing is that I have time, I have to wait till i get paid again before i can get the susension done. over the next week, I will be calling a bunch of different places to see what they can do for me.

Thanks again for all the input!!!!!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :busted:

Patrick M.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.