HELP!!!! XR 600R engine problem!

8 replies to this topic
  • dzrtrat1111

Posted June 11, 2007 - 07:03 PM

hey, i've got a 1996 XR600R almost super motard. white bros slip on

the bike has run perfect and started on the first kick for the last 2 years. last week, a mile from my house on the way home from a ride up the mountain and back the bike started poping really bad on decel like it was running out of gas and then died when i pulled in the clutch at a stop sign. i thought i ran it out of gas but it started back up and i made it home with the same problems. when i got home i saw that i still had some gas, so i thought maybe i sucked some gunk into the carb since i ran the gas so low! The next day i cleaned the carb and jets then put a new spark plug in just for the hell of it.. i took it out for a test ride, it was a little harder to start and had the same problems and a poping noise that sounds like it is coming from inside the motor! What is happening to my baby!

• dzrtrat1111

Posted June 12, 2007 - 01:28 PM

come on! I know there is a lot of very knowledgeable xr enthusiests and motor heads on here. some body help me! even some where to start.. maybe electrical????

• martinfan30

Posted June 12, 2007 - 02:06 PM

hey, i've got a 1996 XR600R almost super motard. white bros slip on

the bike has run perfect and started on the first kick for the last 2 years. last week, a mile from my house on the way home from a ride up the mountain and back the bike started poping really bad on decel like it was running out of gas and then died when i pulled in the clutch at a stop sign. i thought i ran it out of gas but it started back up and i made it home with the same problems. when i got home i saw that i still had some gas, so i thought maybe i sucked some gunk into the carb since i ran the gas so low! The next day i cleaned the carb and jets then put a new spark plug in just for the hell of it.. i took it out for a test ride, it was a little harder to start and had the same problems and a poping noise that sounds like it is coming from inside the motor! What is happening to my baby!

that sounds like a lean running condition on the pilot circuit. check your idle mix screw adjustment. the pilot circuit could be plugged, not just the jet itself but the internal passages. did you use compressed air with the pilot jet out to blow out the passages?

• martinfan30

Posted June 12, 2007 - 02:07 PM

oh, did you just get new fuel? poss. water contamination.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Moredesert

Posted June 12, 2007 - 05:35 PM

I would check the valves just to be on the safe side. I've had valves tighten up on me causing problems. I also had a stator problem with another bike. Just check the basic things first. Every time I had problem with air cooled engines they recomended checking the valves first.

• creeky

Posted June 12, 2007 - 06:20 PM

I would suspect that the stator is going bad.

• dzrtrat1111

Posted June 12, 2007 - 08:44 PM

thanks for the good places to start! it started at the end of a tank of gas martinfan.. i considered that.. i checked the valve clearances today, and they were right in spec.. i tried to check some of the electrical, but i don't know much about it other than making sure everything is plugged in correctly, and running basic voltage checks.

How would i go about checking if the stator is going out???????

thanks guys!

• rmhrc630

Posted June 13, 2007 - 12:22 PM

Try stator - measure the resistance.

check all wiring

• Firelyle

Posted June 14, 2007 - 05:17 AM

To check your stator you need to run a resistance test (ohm) on it. You'll need a basic multimeter (nothing fancy). Pretty simple test to run. Disconnect the harness coming from the stator. On your bike you should have a red/blk wire coming out of the stator harness. You need to check resistance between that wire and ground. Set your meter to Rx1 (resistance reading) If there is low resistance thats good. If the resistance is high (no continuity)the staor is going/gone bad. Hope this helps.
Good Luck :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.