Should you ROOST a chase truck in Baja?

86 replies to this topic
  • Baja Rudy

Posted 11 June 2007 - 07:00 PM

let the discussion begin:

if the chase truck is on-course and you are racing should you roost the chaser?

I say YES.:thumbsup:

• BAJAHUSKYS

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:12 PM

If they don't pull way over way up ahead, it isn't called roost. Its called spray from our rear tires.:thumbsup:

• surfnride

Posted 11 June 2007 - 10:38 PM

only if they deserve it.

use your best judgement.

The Jeep Cherokee that had it's passenger side mirror removed by my arm deserved it...I was finishing the 1000 in '95 or '96..riding bajabound's KX250 (4th OA at the time) chasing Henge to the finish. The course went through guadalupe valley, then through the mountain range into Ensenada. This P.O.S.cherokee blocked me for about 3 minutes, this is a very narrow mountain road, at night, my lights are blasting into his cab, i'm screaming and he's doing everything he can to keep me from passing. I was finally able to get by. If I remember correctly, we lost by about 5 minutes...but I could be wrong

Lot's of people are on these courses in Baja during the races. Most of them are paying attention, and they get the hell out of the way. :thumbsup:

Some find it funny to make extra dust, swerve into our path,throw beer bottles from the bed of trucks, build booby traps, these are the people that deserve a broken windshield.:)

• Trogdor

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:41 AM

YES of course if they imped your progress. However, I can't imagine why a chase truck should be on the course up with the front running bikes though. If a bike has had a problem that is so bad you have to send in a truck, your race is done. I've only seen spectator and local traffic and have never a chase truck when I was racing on bikes. Obvious spectators get roosted if they block, local traffic doesn't in my opinion.

Now that I'm retired from racing Baja on bikes, I spend most of my my time chasing Trophy Trucks. If you have ever had to go in on the race course to get to your race car you know how careful you have to be. The worst thing about having to go in after a TT is that do to the fact that they run at the front, you are jumping in with all of the other cars. When we have to got in on the course, if at all possible we have at least three people in the chase truck. One person in the truck's job is to watch from behind for race traffic. We all roll the windows down and listen for traffic also. If we imped another's progress, our race car can be protested and DQed.

• luissuperdog

Posted 12 June 2007 - 06:50 AM

Yes..
I also charge those guys trying to take a picture of you while going into a trap. I did that on the past 250 to this guys, I'm glad somebody else did the same and like the video too.

I have a picture of me roosting a car during that race I'll post it if I can find it.

• JohnnyAirtime

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:12 AM

let the discussion begin:

if the chase truck is on-course and you are racing should you roost the chaser?

NO.

What's the point?!
What's the benefit of roosting a vehicle?!
(Will they never do it again because of your action? Or next time, do it worse? Or will that person ever be on the race course again in his/her life? Pure coincidence? As chances are you'll never see them again.)

You don't specify if the 'chaser' is impeding traffic, stuck on course, running over bushes to get out of the way, coming at you or with the flow of race traffic...etc.etc. There's more instances I've encountered where there is never a reason to "roost the chaser".

How many times have you passed a chase or vehicle on course, and they nearly ran themselves off the road to get out of your way?! I'd like to bet, it's 9 out of 10... or more like 19 out of 20.

If the worst happens, and your involved in an accident with a vehicle... ya think it was their intention to hit you?! IF so... and it was... I find that too would be a severe rarity. I'm sure beating down them or their vehicle is the right answer?! Maybe for you, but not for me. Not at this age anyway. Maybe if I was 16 again.

I think there's a lot of dumb people out there... driving backwards or forwards on course. And any action you take... they still won't get it. And just because it's a SCORE race course... it doesn't mean you OWN it or the right of way. Read Sal's comments on what you should do when racing. :) Half of this problem is the arrogance of the racers. Not only on bikes alone. And it's not JUST the faster field, as I see only a few comments about being in the top overall (which shouldn't change the issue!). It's everyone. Everyone has the same problems... but you rarely hear about Joe No Name kicking in a door.

As pissed as I may be for what may be a deliberate action against me as a racer... I still say "no". And I won't go out of my way when it's pointless.
(maybe I'm just not an old crusty Baja Vet with a bone to pick at anyone causing me to go slower, I'm still new to this SCORE thing and not yet "crusty". :ride:)

MY POINT - It's RACING! Don't like it...?? ...race closed course competition. :thumbsup:

• Baja Rudy

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:31 AM

I say ROOST the chase trucks on course during a race. ROOOOOOOOSSSSSTTTTTTT them hard. :thumbsup:

this is a great discussion, and since TT has been dead without Mike Kay here let's get un-corked and let it rip boys.

ROOOOOSSSST ROOOOOSSST them all...

• BajaBoundMoto

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:58 AM

you probably knew where I stand on this subject

• BajaTom

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:18 AM

Surfnride--
only if they deserve it. Use your best judgement.
Trogdor--
Yes of course if they impede your progress.

That's it!
Nobody is saying just roost everybody, anytime. And it is fact that there are a lot more idiot riders and pit crews roaming the roads on race day (and pre-running). C'mon JAT, I'm usually with you on things 95% of the time, but as a past victim I take a strong stand on this. And (flame suit on) I look forward to the day when the Sportsman class is no longer part of racing! Maybe then we will get rid of @100 riders and 900 pitcrew who should not be out there!

• luissuperdog

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:26 AM

What a chase truck is doing on the race course on race day??? They know better that they are not supposed to be there right??
You see people driving trying to get to a place to watch the race. They know the race starts early. If you prerun late in the afternoon prior to the race day. You'll see a lot of people camping in the hills far away from the hwy. They get there early so they won't be in danger of getting in the way of a race vehicle. There is a lot of miles of road where you can see the race. If they get in to the race course during the race is not b/c they are the guy comming from the grocery store. The land lords know better and they will stay away from the course.

My cousin crashed in this race just after Ojos, got injured, and I walked to pick him up. I didn't jump in my chase truck and drive the course to and back.
If you are in an area that is too far from the access road just call weatherman to get help. Or get ready to camp overnight and get a ride the next day. Don't get a ride on the race trucks or other bikes, you already saw in this race why...

Yes to ROOOST

• Scotty Breauxman

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:55 AM

The last 250 was my first race in Baja and I encountered 2 oncoming mexican vehicles on the course and passed 3 suvs (going same direction) heading toward Pnta. Cabras... and a quad....

Before the 500 I vowed to myself that I'd teach em a lesson. I carried my leatherman on my waist pak for easy access...the plan was to grab the clutch with left hand, and the leatherman with the right hand...and give em the old catfish hunter...throwing the tool trough a window or something...

When the moment of truth came, I couldn't do it...what if someone (like an innocent child or passenger) got really hurt by broken glass or killed by flying object? Plus, I'm trying to race a race, so what's with the premeditated assault plan?

Most of the mexican fans know about the risk and respect the racers (see below)

After this head on, the locals pounce the driver and pummel him with a complete mopping up...a good view for sure...

I'm a newb, so I look to the vets for suitability...If I run again, I'll hope to survive on my own merrit and not be taken out by a mexican who only cares about seeing trophy trucks and class 1's...I'll keep the leatherman on the right side just in case...but my roost ain't gonna do a thing to deter.

sB

• Baja Rudy

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:15 AM

Tim, I would prefer if you cut-and-paste your comments on this thread. Not everyone read the other thread were this started. That way it is clear that you and I will ROOOSSSTTTT chase vehicles on course.

• ewbish

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:17 AM

I already roost hippies, granolas, kwads, old people on electric scooters, and bird watchers. Don't see what the big deal is adding vehicles on the course to that list.

Of course, the only real issue I had with it was coming out of the mountains, came out of a turn and there was an ancient multicolored bus being passed by a jeep full of drunk messican spectators. The jeep went left, the bus went right, and I went up the middle. I was too worried about filling my riding gear with processed fish tacos to roost anyone.

• JohnnyAirtime

Posted 12 June 2007 - 10:31 AM

Surfnride--
only if they deserve it. Use your best judgement.
Trogdor--
Yes of course if they impede your progress.

That's it!
Nobody is saying just roost everybody, anytime. And it is fact that there are a lot more idiot riders and pit crews roaming the roads on race day (and pre-running). C'mon JAT, I'm usually with you on things 95% of the time, but as a past victim I take a strong stand on this. And (flame suit on) I look forward to the day when the Sportsman class is no longer part of racing! Maybe then we will get rid of @100 riders and 900 pitcrew who should not be out there!

No worries... I know I'm going to be one of the few with my opinion. And I'm just not the guy to waiste my time on a roost that may not even do any good. I mean... I'm good at roostin' and throwin' a few solid rocks... but if I miss, it'd just piss me off some more. And then... what do I do?? Turn around... and try again?! :) :ride: Time was already waisted...

I don't think it's wrong to do so... I just think "to each his own" is best suited for a yes or no answer.

Also, anyone who has been a victim and caught by a vehicle (no matter it's purpose on course, or it's demeanor towards racers)... has more of a vendetta than me. My near misses have scared the crap outa' me... And I've got a tore jersey cuz of it (minimal damage thank goodness). So I can't say I understand completely, but I can imagine. And I go slower and ride so cautious because of this and the dangers....

Seeing that head-on video thats been passed around so much this past few months is enough to scare any Baja racer. However I'm glad to know he rode away... and boy, did the driver get his. What do ya think? Locals to do the dirty work? Or your roost?! hahahaha....

All good. I've simply got my opinion, and I don't judge others for having theirs.

:thumbsup:

• desertyeticheyenne

Posted 12 June 2007 - 10:39 AM

When spectating/pitting I pay close attention to whats going on on the course and try to direct traffic/signal racers. This is very difficult with racers trying to avoid obstacles, and non race traffic often drunk/clueless,take your pick. Bottom line, as spectaters we have a better idea of what's going on and if I see some idiot interfere, not attempt to get out of the way,I will take action. You might see me throw a fit or a rock. I have never raced Score, but have been chasing Score racers and been the idiot on the course , get the f*#@ off the course at the first sign of race traffic. Pull off [way off] and walk if needed, use other spectators as guides, whatever it takes. If you get roosted you were probably way to close or in someones way. Either or, I personnally have never been roosted. Have done some bushwhackin' but I get the F*%# out the way.

T.Lee

• Baja Rudy

Posted 12 June 2007 - 10:40 AM

nothing better than serving a nice rock buffet on course.

ROOOOSSSSSTTTT them boys and girls. :thumbsup:

• stolidog

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:38 AM

Roost The Piss out of Them.

How Many People Have been Injured Or Killed BY A-- Hole Chase Trucks?

• PowerCell

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:42 PM

sounds like surfnride started off as a pro...i want his autograph... what a stud... i'm thinking the sportsman class will eventually be roosting him...
way to promote the sport surfnride...

&%$#@!? :thumbsup:

• DJWALS

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:02 PM

sorry my bad,,, Surf n Ride you are free to roost me...BajaTom said " he's looking forward to the day the sportsman class is no longer part of racing!"
sad attitude.....
I am a sportsman class fan.. everyone starts somewhere...

• Baja Rudy

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:14 PM

Mr JAT, I believe you are willing to beat-up some poor little harmless thieve but you don't want to roost a chase vehicle???

I guess since your vehicle got broken into then you know first hand what it feels like and you are willing to beat up the thieve. by the same token I know how it feels to hit a car that was not meant to be on course and therefore I'm going to roost him. do you see the point. I guess that is different right? :thumbsup: I would never beat up a poor little harmless thieve just because he broke into my car and took some gear from me. you don't know what was his motive, maybe he needs the money to feed his kids or maybe it was a mistake and he took my things to safeguard them from the real bad thieves. bla bla bla...

is beating up the thieve sportmanlike? or maybe a drive by to reward your anger? to use your words...anger management may be in order.

Did you type this or was it someone else...
"Cops came, did nothing but showed me where i could take a report (which I did). Three cops on bikes also showed and when we mentioned $500 reward for missing items being returned... they were off like they were on an Easter Egg hunt. We mentioned a $1000 offer if they catch'em and can give us some time alone before arresting. " "... my personal opinion is fighting back with idiotic roosting just goes against any race sportsmanship I know. Let alone is just uncalled for. What's next... a drive by?! What's the reward?? Anger management may be in order"

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.