Applying Graphics

15 replies to this topic
  • crf_ride

Posted June 11, 2007 - 03:23 PM

I am going to get new graphics for my bike but I am wondering how to put them on. do i need to get new plastics, put them over the old ones or take off the old ones and put on new? Also, I am thinking of getting the factory effects monster energy http://www.factoryef...ductid=10-12326 do you think they would look good with any of these http://www.decalmx.com/mxbkgs.ihtml ? anyways thanks for your help.:thumbsup:

• bktobk3233

Posted June 11, 2007 - 03:39 PM

I'm no expert, but my last grahics kit went on just fine. I put mine right over the old ones (after I cleaned them off of course). I used a blow dryer to heat the graphic a little, and sprayed water onto the plastic panel. Then I put the graphic on while working the water out to the edges and heating the whole thing with the blow dryer. The heat makes everything soft so you can pull and turn the graphic (gently) right where you want it. The heat also makes it easier applying those graphics on the curved surfaces. The water lets the graphic slide just enough for you to do all this and gives you a small margin for error. I would also spray the surface of the graphic so it was smoother and cooler on my hands to manipulate it since I was afraid to use something that would scratch the shiny new graphic (that's what riding's for:thumbsup: ). It was a hot-water-friction-stretchy kind of a deal. A little patience will be rewarded (if you use this method).

I'm sure there's a better way, but I'm not that smart.:thumbsup:

• 125shifter

Posted June 11, 2007 - 04:48 PM

Windex
Heat gun (not hair dryer)

* Spray windex generously over the area where they are to be applied.
* Remove backing
* Place approximate center of graphic on approximate center of plastic.
* Ensure tight graphic corners will properly align in areas like air box, holes, etc.
* Heat the graphic (carefully) w/ the heat gun and they'll really loosen up.
* Work methodically from the center out and you'll get all the air out. Use more windex when needed.

This is easily done solo if you take your time and the results are professional - if there is such a thing.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

• crf_ride

Posted June 11, 2007 - 05:06 PM

thanks guys i'll definitly try these!

• 125shifter

Posted June 11, 2007 - 05:08 PM

thanks guys i'll definitly try these!

I run Factory Effex graphics too and I know the heat gun/windex trick works. Get the material hot, but don't burn and it'll lay down like frosting on a cupcake. :thumbsup:

• hsncmx

Posted June 11, 2007 - 05:21 PM

I just got finished putting numbers and new graphics on my 05 yzf250. Windex trick works great, I used a hair dryer and the seemed to do the trick. Also, I removed my old shroud/tank graphics and used braked cleaner on a rag to remove the glue residue. Washed plastic well, then applied the new ones.

• the white stallion

Posted June 11, 2007 - 05:26 PM

I just got finished putting numbers and new graphics on my 05 yzf250. Windex trick works great, I used a hair dryer and the seemed to do the trick. Also, I removed my old shroud/tank graphics and used braked cleaner on a rag to remove the glue residue. Washed plastic well, then applied the new ones.

hair dryer works fine,Remove the old ones.

• crf_ride

Posted June 11, 2007 - 05:45 PM

hair dryer works fine,Remove the old ones.

So What is the best way to remove the old ones?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hsncmx

Posted June 11, 2007 - 05:53 PM

So What is the best way to remove the old ones?

Heat them up with a hair dryer, peel them off, then use gas, carb cleaner, brake cleaner, etc. to remove the old glue residue.

• the white stallion

Posted June 11, 2007 - 05:54 PM

Just pull them off and use paint thinner or wd 40 to take the glue off. Wash with soap & water.Don't over do it with the windex.I found that if you do a dry placement before you pull the backing and get some referance points to go by it works great.

• crf_ride

Posted June 11, 2007 - 06:03 PM

thanks everyone for the replies on this, im sure they will go on great!

• hsncmx

Posted June 11, 2007 - 06:05 PM

thanks everyone for the replies on this, im sure they will go on great!

Last tip, be patient. :thumbsup:

• the white stallion

Posted June 11, 2007 - 06:36 PM

One more thing once you put the heat to the folds or bends some wrinkles are gonna only or be easiest to remove in a certain direction if your trying to rub out a wrinkle with the dryer in one hand and the towel in the other and it just doesn't seem to want to go away try a different direction.don't force or crease the wrinkle.Your gonna find that the pipe side plate and rear fender will be the toughest.

• Bryan Bosch

Posted June 11, 2007 - 07:13 PM

Check the technical section. There is one are two articles on applying graphics.

• 06yz

Posted June 11, 2007 - 07:48 PM

From the http://www.xgxracing.com/ website

Remove all dirt, oil, and grease with soapy water. Once they're clean, do not touch mounting surface, the oils in your hands will affect adhesion. This is the most important step in successful graphic application. If you are applying to new plastic or paint, lightly scuff application surface with fine steel wool or scratch pad.

· We recommend spraying or wiping a soapy water/alcohol solution onto the plastic to allow the graphics to slide around before final placement. Some types of Window Cleaner will work as well.

· Align graphic with any interior holes, this is usually easier and more precise than using the perimeter.

· Lay plastic down on flat surface.

· Lightly place the graphic on the plastic. Do not push down on graphic until alignment is finalized. Do not try to slide graphic to proper alignment.

Once you are happy with the alignment, begin applying pressure to graphic beginning at the center and moving outward to the edges, pressing out fluid and being careful to press out any bubbles. We suggest using the backing paper between the graphic and applicator to avoid "digging in" to the vinyl. Be sure to apply ample pressure especially at the edges. Allow graphics to sit for 24 hrs. prior to riding. We also advise re-applying pressure to the graphics after a couple of hours, especially if using an application fluid to ensure complete bonding.

If you encounter bubbles that cannot be rubbed out, take a sewing needle and prick the bubbled vinyl a number of times and reapply pressure. This allows the air to escape and the graphic to contact the plastic. If you are having trouble getting the graphics to stick on to the plastics, try using a heat gun or blow dryer. Make sure you don’t get it too hot, or it may melt the graphics. This is just helpful to let the liquid underneath evaporate to allow the graphics to ahere to the plastics and conform around the edges.

• bdrushto

Posted June 11, 2007 - 07:52 PM

I find I always do better after about 3 beers... otherwise my run out of patience. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Wiki
Husky Auto Trans Mod - last post by Rowant

Husky Auto Trans Mod

Wiki Articles
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Cobra CX50-JR 2014 by Chris.GVS

Cobra CX50-JR 2014
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Cobra CX65 2015 by Chris.GVS

Cobra CX65 2015
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Gas Gas XC 300 2014 by Chris.GVS

Gas Gas XC 300 2014
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Cobra CX50-JR 2015 by Chris.GVS

Cobra CX50-JR 2015
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.