Supertrapp worse than stocker??

10 replies to this topic
  • MartinDKtm

Posted June 11, 2007 - 11:13 AM

I bought a 650L with all the goodies possible installed on it. Full exhaust line, wiseco 101mm, eldelbrock carb (17e 20clics from full ritch), web cam stage 1 etc...etc...My bike has always pull good down low but was lacking hp at higher rev. Its geared 14 or 15/48. Had trouble keeping 120km/h on fifth gear had to sometimes shif on fourth. I always suspected that I had an exhaust problem. So I did repack and clean the supertrapp (12disk installed) and its was not better at all. Feel noisy but also restrictive.

So a friend of mine had an older stock 80's XL600 exhaust pipe that he gave me and I decided to install it to try. Honda does keep their mesurment for a long time cause it fitted on like a glove on my 2000 L. Of course it was much quieter than the supertrapp. But to my surprise the bike pull and run much better than he ever ran. Made a top speed test and could easily get over 145 km/h with some front winds. Even done a third gear wheelie at 70-75km/h just on gas/pulling on the bar.

So now why it does that? Too lean on top? Should I move up to a bigger needle to make the supertrapp work and have more pony's? What are you guy's running? I was suggest here before the 17e at 27 clic from full ritch...Plug was as white as snow. What do ya think about all that?

Martin

• Rockjockey

Posted June 11, 2007 - 12:14 PM

The supertrapp is tunable, if I were you I would take some discs out of the trapp a few at a time until the backpressure was similar to what the stocker restricts the flow down to. It sounds to me as if you dont have enough backpressure with the 12 discs installed. Backpressure equals low end grunt. I would then jet it to obtain a tan color on the plug.

• Alex 400

Posted June 12, 2007 - 10:46 AM

I think you are too lean, especially now that you have the supertrapp on there. I have a xr's only with the supertrapp end cap on my 400 and use 10 discs with great results. of course i also jetted and adjusted the bike for the new pipe. anytime you add mor exhaust flow you need more fuel to go with it too.

• martinfan30

Posted June 12, 2007 - 11:19 AM

ya with the stock pipe it will run richer, leaner with the s.trapp. you were probably too lean before.

• MartinDKtm

Posted June 13, 2007 - 03:04 AM

Should I go bigger than the 17e?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted June 13, 2007 - 06:41 AM

Should I go bigger than the 17e?

sorry, not familiar with the edelb.

• Oregon 4stroke

Posted August 22, 2008 - 11:51 PM

Sounds like your carb is great for a stock exhaust, but lean for the supertrap. As Rj above said your plug insulator should have a tan color for best performance/life. Yours is white, like a new plug, so it's not getting enough fuel and is running hot and lean. Either richen the carb, adjust plates on the ex., or a combination of the 2.

You want a larger main jet or equivalent for your eldelbrock carb. The needle jet is for part throttle only, and can only flow what the main jet will pass.

• creeky

Posted August 23, 2008 - 03:57 AM

Try the 19E needle if you go back to the Supertrapp, I think the 17E is too lean for an unrestricted exhaust.

• WR TOM

Posted August 23, 2008 - 05:23 AM

I bought a 650L with all the goodies possible installed on it. Full exhaust line, wiseco 101mm, eldelbrock carb (17e 20clics from full ritch), web cam stage 1 etc...etc...My bike has always pull good down low but was lacking hp at higher rev. Its geared 14 or 15/48. Had trouble keeping 120km/h on fifth gear had to sometimes shif on fourth. I always suspected that I had an exhaust problem. So I did repack and clean the supertrapp (12disk installed) and its was not better at all. Feel noisy but also restrictive.

So a friend of mine had an older stock 80's XL600 exhaust pipe that he gave me and I decided to install it to try. Honda does keep their mesurment for a long time cause it fitted on like a glove on my 2000 L. Of course it was much quieter than the supertrapp. But to my surprise the bike pull and run much better than he ever ran. Made a top speed test and could easily get over 145 km/h with some front winds. Even done a third gear wheelie at 70-75km/h just on gas/pulling on the bar.

So now why it does that? Too lean on top? Should I move up to a bigger needle to make the supertrapp work and have more pony's? What are you guy's running? I was suggest here before the 17e at 27 clic from full ritch...Plug was as white as snow. What do ya think about all that?

Martin

Echo all the others, too lean, too lean, main jet, main jet:thumbsup:

• martinfan30

Posted August 23, 2008 - 06:06 AM

I hope MartinDKM has figured his jetting out since his last post last June.

• creeky

Posted August 23, 2008 - 09:56 AM

:thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.