GYTR Flywheel question 05 YZ 450

4 replies to this topic
  • gcally

Posted June 11, 2007 - 04:00 AM

I did some searching but did not find the answers I was looking for. I am going to be riding my new 05 450 in the woods only and I wanted to get a GYTR off road flywheel. I checked the Yamaha web site and they list the 6 oz fitting the 06-07 and the 9 oz fitting the 03-05. My question is does the 9oz also fit the 05? Also should I go with a 9oz or 6oz for woods in eastern PA. I know that the power was a little bit smoother on the 05 compared to previous years. I also might get a rekluse if I still have stalling issues. How much weight does the rekluse add? Should I have a 6oz or 9oz if I also install the rekluse.

Sorry for all the question but I am new at this off road thing.

• grayracer513

Posted June 11, 2007 - 08:12 AM

The GYT-R flywheels are not listed by added weight, but by total inertia mass, which is either calculated or measured, but is not a direct function of the weight added. The '06-'07 flywheels have a different form factor from the earlier ones, and are not interchangeable.

The heavier "off-road" flywheel is still listed for the '05 (GYT-5TA97-50-50), as is the lighter "racing" version (GYT-5TA97-50-00). These two are OEM flywheels with a machined weight ring added to them, same as the Dr.D flywheels. To compare, the lighter flywheel is roughly 5oz heavier than stock, and the "off-road" is about 7.5oz heavier.

One of the main differences between the GYT-R and the Dr.D, other than the specific Weight, is that you buy the GYT-R outright, and the Dubach flywheels are purchased as an exchange. This works out very nicely, as you can buy the Dr.D, front the core charge, and send him yours later. He reverses the core charges very quickly, BTW. He will also exchange the flywheel for an alternative weight indefinitely, and any number of times, on the same basis, so you don't have to worry about getting stuck with the wrong one.

I'd recommend the Dr.D 8oz for yours ( I run one on the '03) or the GYT-5TA97-50-50.

As to whether the Rekluse adds anything to the flywheel effect, remember that the clutch rotates at just over a third the speed of the crank, and the most important factor in inertia is speed. Weight added to the clutch is exponentially less effective than that added to the flywheel, and it's basically insignificant in that sense.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gcally

Posted June 11, 2007 - 09:27 AM

The GYT-R flywheels are not listed by added weight, but by total inertia mass, which is either calculated or measured, but is not a direct function of the weight added. The '06-'07 flywheels have a different form factor from the earlier ones, and are not interchangeable.

The heavier "off-road" flywheel is still listed for the '05 (GYT-5TA97-50-50), as is the lighter "racing" version (GYT-5TA97-50-00). These two are OEM flywheels with a machined weight ring added to them, same as the Dr.D flywheels. To compare, the lighter flywheel is roughly 5oz heavier than stock, and the "off-road" is about 7.5oz heavier.

One of the main differences between the GYT-R and the Dr.D, other than the specific Weight, is that you buy the GYT-R outright, and the Dubach flywheels are purchased as an exchange. This works out very nicely, as you can buy the Dr.D, front the core charge, and send him yours later. He reverses the core charges very quickly, BTW. He will also exchange the flywheel for an alternative weight indefinitely, and any number of times, on the same basis, so you don't have to worry about getting stuck with the wrong one.

I'd recommend the Dr.D 8oz for yours ( I run one on the '03) or the GYT-5TA97-50-50.

As to whether the Rekluse adds anything to the flywheel effect, remember that the clutch rotates at just over a third the speed of the crank, and the most important factor in inertia is speed. Weight added to the clutch is exponentially less effective than that added to the flywheel, and it's basically insignificant in that sense.

Thanks for the quick reply! I ordered the wrong one so I had to cancel it and get the GYT-5TA97-50-50. Where are you guys getting a flywheel puller?

Thanks Greg

• gcally

Posted June 11, 2007 - 09:34 AM

Thanks for the quick reply! I ordered the wrong one so I had to cancel it and get the GYT-5TA97-50-50. Where are you guys getting a flywheel puller?

Thanks Greg

On the flywheel puller, can some one give me the link to the correct motion pro puller that I need.

thanks

• grayracer513

Posted June 11, 2007 - 09:47 AM

It's the 15-0463 at the TT Store (Tucker Rocky Catalog number), or the 08-0026 at Motion Pro. Extremely common puller. If they were used on any more motorcycles, Wal-Mart would carry them.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.