How do you pick a downed 650 up?

36 replies to this topic
  • janner

Posted June 10, 2007 - 06:04 PM

Whats the best way to pick up a 650 on its side?.......I have been grabbing one side of the handle bar and also grabbing some frame underneath the rear fender.....but am now thinking that this may be a weak spot?.......Any tips?

Thanks.

• tmartinLVNV

Posted June 10, 2007 - 07:40 PM

Mine has been down many many times on all sorts of inclines (new rider learning dirt). I just grab both handles and pull it up.

• JR650

Posted June 10, 2007 - 08:07 PM

I always jus grab both bars and pull it up. mine is an r though, maybe l is worse?

• J_T

Posted June 10, 2007 - 09:13 PM

I've Grabbed the rear fender just where it attaches...(I try to grab part of the rear seat as well but I have been using that since 2001 and when I pull the end around to park it in the garage.

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted June 11, 2007 - 06:30 AM

There used to be a video or slides of a woman picking up something like a Honda Valkyrie. She'd back up to the seat, squatted, put one hand on the lower handle bar, and another toward the rear of the bike, and use her legs for the lift. Made it look easy.

If you are facing the bike, you end up using your back, and it is hard on your back, plus you don't get much leverage.

I also like to lock the front brake (if it's not in gear or I can't get it into gear) so the bike doesn't "get any ideas" midway through trying to raise it.

Here's the links: http://ibmwr.org/otech/pickup.html
http://www.pinkribbo...om/dropped.html

(OK, so forget the girly aspect---there is good advice here, especially for narrow trails with drop-offs, or other awkward places we like to fall and stall in, etc. :thumbsup:

• frogman

Posted June 11, 2007 - 06:32 AM

I lay on the side of the trail, screaming like the dickins, and let my riding buddies lift that pig off of me.

• janner

Posted June 11, 2007 - 07:40 AM

Grow BIG BALLS

LOL... I can pick up a 800# Harley pretty easy by the handle bar and a loaded GS1150 was not too much of a problem either.....but am more concerned about the stress factor on the sub frame of the Honda which by all accounts seems to be a weak spot..

I guess I am worrying about nothing and just need to grab hold whats easiest and available ....:thumbsup:

• XR4DEZ

Posted June 11, 2007 - 09:30 AM

Yep, just pick it up and kick and kick.

• ogrider650

Posted June 11, 2007 - 01:52 PM

depends if it is still on me and if it's still running LOL just grab the bars and pick up i doubt by picking it up you can hurt the frame.

• sorta_motarded

Posted June 11, 2007 - 01:59 PM

:thumbsup: STOP dropping it :):busted:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hill5150

Posted June 11, 2007 - 02:15 PM

Dont crash............:thumbsup:

• wheelnut46

Posted June 11, 2007 - 04:31 PM

Whats the best way to pick up a 650 on its side?.......I have been grabbing one side of the handle bar and also grabbing some frame underneath the rear fender.....but am now thinking that this may be a weak spot?.......Any tips?

Thanks.

That's exactly how I do it. It's not going to break. It's a tough bike. I've also picked it up just by the handlebars but grabbing under the seat is easier.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted June 11, 2007 - 09:23 PM

Just grab a hold of the bars with your little pinky and lift. Light as a feather. :thumbsup:

• tdamore

Posted June 11, 2007 - 10:30 PM

depends if it is still on me and if it's still running LOL just grab the bars and pick up i doubt by picking it up you can hurt the frame.

He should know, he crashes alot :thumbsup: :)

• dezracerE

Posted June 12, 2007 - 07:26 AM

Eat your wheaties.

• Denn10

Posted June 12, 2007 - 09:13 AM

I cant believe someone needs to ask how to pick a bike up LMAO dont ride it if you cant start it or pick it up!!

• gabriel

Posted June 12, 2007 - 09:18 AM

:) Yeah, what kind of :censored:'s ask these kind of dumb questions, this is like asking what to do if your shoes become untied!...I remember the first time i dropped my bike...I just got up and picked it up...Didn't even think about it. If you can't figure out how to pick up a motorcycle (common sense) then you shouldn't be riding anything other than a joystick driven wheelchair or the special short bus. :thumbsup:

• porterdog

Posted June 12, 2007 - 10:19 AM

I cant believe someone needs to ask how to pick a bike up LMAO dont ride it if you cant start it or pick it up!!

Yeah, what kind of 's ask these kind of dumb questions, this is like asking what to do if your shoes become untied!...I remember the first time i dropped my bike...I just got up and picked it up...Didn't even think about it. If you can't figure out how to pick up a motorcycle (common sense) then you shouldn't be riding anything other than a joystick driven wheelchair or the special short bus.

If you don't have something positive to contribute, go back to snarfing cheetos and keep your greasy fingers off the keyboard. It's guys like you give this place a reputation for being populated by ignorant kids. :thumbsup:

• tdamore

Posted June 12, 2007 - 08:52 PM

Dickhead.

And again, dickhead.

If you don't have something positive to contribute, go back to snarfing cheetos and keep your greasy fingers off the keyboard. It's guys like you give this place a reputation for being populated by ignorant kids. :thumbsup:

This is the truth. The question wasn't so much about picking up a bike as it was asking about how to do it safely without damaging the bike. The 650r's achilles heel is the subframe and it could be pretty easy to bend it if you just grabbed it and tried to lift the bike from it.

• ogrider650

Posted June 12, 2007 - 09:35 PM

This is the truth. The question wasn't so much about picking up a bike as it was asking about how to do it safely without damaging the bike. The 650r's achilles heel is the subframe and it could be pretty easy to bend it if you just grabbed it and tried to lift the bike from it.

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat????? the only thing i've ever bent on my bike is my handlebars (that eventually snapped) this bike is not the crf/x brotha it can handle anything :thumbsup: even all my many crashes

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.