Stoppies on your WR450?

11 replies to this topic
  • JaysDirtyRide

Posted June 10, 2007 - 08:32 AM

Well, hell's bell's Batman...I practiced stoppies yesterday untill I just couldn't squeeze hard on the front brake lever anymore. All of that effort resulted in not a single decent stopie!:)

I was practicing on blacktop so traction was excellent.

I committed to the stopie...at least I thought I had fully committed...but I could only manage a wee little lift of the rear wheel.

I could sure use some pointers on getting the big bitch's rear wheel up in the air.:thumbsup:

Thanks loads.

-Jay

• davidl9999

Posted June 10, 2007 - 08:41 AM

Plz post a picture of your first face plant... :thumbsup:

• wes_scooter

Posted June 10, 2007 - 11:05 AM

i've done them on my wr450, the firmer the suspension the better...i turn my compression clickers all the way in to help. sit forward and hang on...or be ready to pick a soft landing place...good luck

• Farmerboy

Posted June 10, 2007 - 01:00 PM

break it into 2 stages is the way to go,

First brake slightly to compress the front forks then squeeze hard and move chin up and body forward in one motion, its amazing how easy the rear comes up then.

all thats left is get ready for the faceplant

Enjoy

• mcflzwr450f

Posted June 10, 2007 - 01:04 PM

break it into 2 stages is the way to go,

First brake slightly to compress the front forks then squeeze hard and move chin up and body forward in one motion, its amazing how easy the rear comes up then.

all thats left is get ready for the faceplant

Enjoy

That's it!! when you grab a handful of brake shift your weight forward...
Don't forget to let go of the brake if you feel like your going over.:thumbsup:

• MojaveThumper

Posted June 10, 2007 - 03:41 PM

Please video this.... :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • windaddiction

Posted June 10, 2007 - 04:03 PM

bigger rotor caliper and a S/S braided line. I can do stoppies no prob with my motard set up but trying to do them with the stock rotor just deosnt work! ( BTW i think the stock brake off road is great just enoguh stopping power without having to worry too much about washing out your front end )

• jams229

Posted June 10, 2007 - 05:56 PM

Well, hell's bell's Batman...I practiced stoppies yesterday untill I just couldn't squeeze hard on the front brake lever anymore. All of that effort resulted in not a single decent stopie!:)

I was practicing on blacktop so traction was excellent.

I committed to the stopie...at least I thought I had fully committed...but I could only manage a wee little lift of the rear wheel.

I could sure use some pointers on getting the big bitch's rear wheel up in the air.:thumbsup:

Thanks loads.

-Jay

Jay, to get the rear wheel up in the air easily, try going down hill.
Seriously. Similar to wheelying up hill - it is much easier.
Once you get the feel for it, then you will be able to do them
on flat surfaces as well. They are a lot of fun. Good luck.
Jim

• dl19

Posted June 10, 2007 - 08:31 PM

Just like it was said before. Load the front then put the pressure and and the back end will come up. Just does not want to as easily if done in one brake application.

• 450high

Posted June 11, 2007 - 01:32 AM

Learning down hill is the way to go. But make sure you video a post your first try.Face plant fore sure just make sure youv'e got medical insurance.

• JaysDirtyRide

Posted June 11, 2007 - 05:14 AM

:) Thanks for the pointers folks.

The stopies were inspired by the Erzberg prep video where the guys are doing these stopies to swing the back around to better line themselves up in a tight area.

I have no ambitions for stunting or other silliness...

I also have the DirtWise DVD and the stopie/wheelie practice thingy is...well, not possible without the stopie part.

Oh...I will for sure have a bud immortalize my stopie carnage for your viewing pleasure.:thumbsup:

If any of you have 450 stopie pics/vids (of yourselves, of course)...post up man!

Thanks!

-Jay

• ETP

Posted June 11, 2007 - 08:55 AM

Why not just buy one of the WR450 2 Trac, 2 wheel drive models. A little messing around with the adustments for which wheel is powered when, and instant stoppie.:thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.