Starting technique 83 XL600R

8 replies to this topic
  • IBMcpa

Posted June 09, 2007 - 08:19 PM

Newbie here - picked up an 83 XL600R about a month ago, but it's sat virtually unused because it's nigh impossible to start without the ever present fear of having my right knee snapped backwards or slow death from a heart attack. have had a fair share of vintage Honda twins and fours, but this is my first thumper -have never had to deal with compression release before. No choke cable on the bike, but that didn't keep the prior owner from starting this thing first kick each time, even when cold.

If you had to describe to a dim-bulb like me how to successfully start one of these things, how would you go about it.?

Help, please!

• butcharin

Posted June 10, 2007 - 10:45 AM

My 85 600R starts fist kick. Well kinda. I turn on the choke lever on the side of the carb. Pull the decomp lever and slowly kisk through about four times. I then let of the decomp lever and slowly kick untill I feel the compresion. I let the kick starter back to the top and then give it a good hard kick, never touching the throttle. Let it warm for a minute or two, turn off the choke let it run then go for it. It has yet to let me down (except when i forgot to turn on the gas :) ) Good Luck! :thumbsup:

• Huffa 2

Posted June 10, 2007 - 12:22 PM

I remember when I had my 83 that once it got down to say 35-40 degrees, FORGET IT :thumbsup: you might as well of parked the thing and tarp it till spring time!

Still the most fun bike I ever had though, when it did start :)

• IBMcpa

Posted June 12, 2007 - 09:22 AM

I've watched an older 200cc model w/ some sort of actuated decompression mechanism - when you start to kick, something in the kicking mechanism pulls the decomp valve open; just prior to the bottom of the kick stroke the mechanism snaps the decomp valve shut.

is it safe to assume that the bike will not start if the decomp valve is open? is there some trick to releasing the decomp lever just as you're hitting the bottom of the kick stroke?

butcharin - i'll have to try and rig up some way to actuate the choke on the carb - the cable on my bike is missing and i've got an aftermarket clutch perch that doesnt have the boss for the cable.

thanks all!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Nummie

Posted June 12, 2007 - 10:29 AM

I've watched an older 200cc model w/ some sort of actuated decompression mechanism - when you start to kick, something in the kicking mechanism pulls the decomp valve open; just prior to the bottom of the kick stroke the mechanism snaps the decomp valve shut.

is it safe to assume that the bike will not start if the decomp valve is open? is there some trick to releasing the decomp lever just as you're hitting the bottom of the kick stroke?

butcharin - i'll have to try and rig up some way to actuate the choke on the carb - the cable on my bike is missing and i've got an aftermarket clutch perch that doesnt have the boss for the cable.

thanks all!

On the XL600R there is an auto-decompression cable between the kickstarter and one of the exhaust valve rockers. There is also a manual decompression cable between the decompression lever on the handlebar and the decompression valve (seperate small valve between the two intake valves).

• Huffa 2

Posted June 12, 2007 - 11:55 AM

On the XL600R there is an auto-decompression cable between the kickstarter and one of the exhaust valve rockers. There is also a manual decompression cable between the decompression lever on the handlebar and the decompression valve (seperate small valve between the two exhaust valves).

I don't know when they started putting the manual one on but the 83's don't have them, just the auto.

• IBMcpa

Posted June 12, 2007 - 02:04 PM

welp, i've got a title that say 83 on it, and i've got a bike that has the manual decomp lever and valve.

uhoh -maybe the bike and title don't match? that would be par for the course...

• Nummie

Posted June 12, 2007 - 05:43 PM

I don't know when they started putting the manual one on but the 83's don't have them, just the auto.

Sure they did.
That's what the square cover on the left side of the head is for isn't it?
The manual decompression valve vents into this chamber.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Huffa 2

Posted June 12, 2007 - 06:45 PM

[quote name='Nummie']Sure they did.
That's what the square cover on the left side of the head is for isn't it?
The manual decompression valve vents into this chamber.

Your right as i found a video with the manual lever showing but I KNOW for sure the 83 I had (I bought it brand new, RIGHT when they came out) DID NOT have the manual on it.

That's weird !

.........this vid is strange too, you see him rev the throttle at end and nothing happens then you hear the motor rev seconds later

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.