Clutch Again?

7 replies to this topic
  • 02YZ426

Posted June 09, 2007 - 07:57 PM

3 rides on this one.. I was riding the bike very hard today and I had to pull over and turn the adjuster on the lever about 3 full turns to get any clutch pull :thumbsup: Then about 2 laps of easy riding I had to pull over and adjust it back. I think the clutch over heated. So the rest of the day it felt ok.. but maybe not grabbing 100%. Tonight I pulled it apart and the clutch plates are turning a light purple.. not real bad, not warped either. Is any amount of purple acceptable?

Anyways, I installed the EBC springs because they are much more aggressive.. maybe that will help. I sure hope its not toast again. I likely only have 15hrs on this one, and its a GYTR clutch.

• Markopolo400

Posted June 10, 2007 - 01:12 PM

Have you inspected, and measured your pressure plate?

If that is warped/out of spec, your plates will not last long at all.

• grayracer513

Posted June 10, 2007 - 03:49 PM

What kind of oil are you using?

• 02YZ426

Posted June 10, 2007 - 06:19 PM

What kind of oil are you using?

Motul 10w30. I change it every ride. Thought about going full synthetic but seems like kind of a waste to dump it out after every ride. The clutch felt good today with those new springs.. but man is it ever a stiff clutch pull. So do you think any discoloration in the plates is normal??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 02YZ426

Posted June 10, 2007 - 06:20 PM

Have you inspected, and measured your pressure plate?

If that is warped/out of spec, your plates will not last long at all.

The pressure plate is good. I think I may have abused the clutch a little too much and it over heated.

• Markopolo400

Posted June 11, 2007 - 02:25 PM

The pressure plate is good. I think I may have abused the clutch a little too much and it over heated.

That's probably it then. On a 450, overheating a clutch is very easy because of all the torque. Same with my 400. :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted June 11, 2007 - 04:03 PM

It's a 4 stroke. On a track, there's no reason or need to work the clutch that hard.

• 02YZ426

Posted June 11, 2007 - 05:58 PM

It's a 4 stroke. On a track, there's no reason or need to work the clutch that hard.

I agree. I am harder on my bikes than most people though.. I ride in the Expert and Pro class here and really run this bike hard. I do admit though, I use my clutch more than necessary.. its a bad habit I developed in my 2 stroke days. I am usually full throttle in most corners and use the clutch to control the rear wheel. I really need to change my riding style... but old habits die hard. I was practicing all Sunday not using the clutch in the corners... Its really hard to ride the bike like that for me. Its like learning how to ride all over again.. the bike handles so different riding without the clutch.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.