2005 450F Jetting

3 replies to this topic
  • Benzie

Posted June 09, 2007 - 04:16 PM

So... I tore the carb off my bike last night to clean it and re-jet, and found that it had been ported/polished. I bought it from a semi-pro racer and had not realized it was ported. So now im stuck with trying to re-jet it. It has a yoshimura TRC pro series titanium exhaust. The jets that were in it were, 165main, 45 pilot. It pops and backfires under deceleration, so i figure it needs a bigger pilot. It would seem that it should have a larger main jet due to the port and polish and the exhaust. The plug seems to be a darker chocolate so should i lean it out? Elevation is around sea level. Any help would be great, and whats the gain of unplugging the TPS?

• grayracer513

Posted June 09, 2007 - 09:50 PM

Decel backfiring is also caused by air leaks in the exhaust. Yoshimura exhausts can be more prone to this kind of thing because of their spring and slip fit construction. Bumping the jetting up beyond the point where the engine runs right in order to stop a decel backfire that's caused by an air leak will just give you an engine that's too rich.

In any case, IMO, a YZF that never pops on decel is jetted too fat.

Ignore the porting and jet to make the bike run correctly.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Benzie

Posted June 10, 2007 - 08:32 AM

I also put the stock exhaust back on it to see if there was a problem with the Yoshimura exhaust, but it does it just as bad with the stock exhaust. My bike kinda sounds like a semi-truck with the jake brake on when i decel.

• davidl9999

Posted June 10, 2007 - 08:38 AM

Decel backfiring is also caused by air leaks in the exhaust. Yoshimura exhausts can be more prone to this kind of thing because of their spring and slip fit construction.

Some red rtv (just a teeny bit) around the slip joint edge will cure that.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.