LOUD PIPE issue: Vote

36 replies to this topic
  • Trail_Ryder

Posted February 15, 2002 - 11:11 AM

lewichris,

In my second paragraph I was being sarcastic.

I do obey 99% of the laws. I always try to make sure I only ride in areas where permission is given and I try to keep my bike at reasonable noise level. We all (riders and non-riders) have to live together, so we should all respect each other.

I just get disgusted with dirt bikers that care about no one other than themselves. You know the type … loud pipe, tresspassing, spraying hikers and equestrians with roost. This small minority of dirt bikers ruins it for the majority of us.

I am sick of the general public having a negative perception of anyone who rides a dirt bike (or is involved in other forms of non-mainstream recreation).

When our state has meetings about putting in ORV trails these limp wrist (who probably had their mushroom hunt disturbed by a dirt bike off in the distance or got a roost sandwich on their nature hike) show up and do ANYTHING they can to stop us from getting trails on public land.

And noise is one of their big issues.

Trail Ryder

P.S. By the way, hearing damage IS permanent. Ear drums don’t heal. Why do you think that all of the Flat Trackers wear hearing protection under their helmets? And yes, many an off-road four-stroker are louder than some of these Flat Track bikes.

• lewichris

Posted February 15, 2002 - 11:32 AM

Originally posted by Tree hugger:
[The average age of this sport is the one thing that will kill it. So few get the real picture.[/QB]

Well i sure hope that the stereo type of the young people are going to screw it up for the rest of us isn't what you are getting at here. Though i think that it is. Dont go there. Just dont. There are just as many older people out there that will ruin it for everyone as there is younger. I love the saying "guns dont kill people people kill people." Young people don't ruin it for everyone people ruin it for everyone.

You are only as old as you want to be.

I ride with a group of guys that belong to PANTRA. They go out on rides and pick up garbage mantain trails. They range from 16-60 years in age. The people that leave the garbage aren't even riders. It is the campers, the partiers that ruin that **** here. last time we went out we filled up a dump truck bed full of garbage. this dosent pertain to noise at all but it pertains to the young people of this sport not all being bad.

• lewichris

Posted February 15, 2002 - 11:40 AM

Originally posted by Trail Ryder:
lewichris,

In my second paragraph I was being sarcastic.

I do obey 99% of the laws. I always try to make sure I only ride in areas where permission is given and I try to keep my bike at reasonable noise level. We all (riders and non-riders) have to live together, so we should all respect each other.

I just get disgusted with dirt bikers that care about no one other than themselves. You know the type … loud pipe, tresspassing, spraying hikers and equestrians with roost. This small minority of dirt bikers ruins it for the majority of us.

I am sick of the general public having a negative perception of anyone who rides a dirt bike (or is involved in other forms of non-mainstream recreation).

When our state has meetings about putting in ORV trails these limp wrist (who probably had their mushroom hunt disturbed by a dirt bike off in the distance or got a roost sandwich on their nature hike) show up and do ANYTHING they can to stop us from getting trails on public land.

And noise is one of their big issues.

Trail Ryder

P.S. By the way, hearing damage IS permanent. Ear drums don’t heal. Why do you think that all of the Flat Trackers wear hearing protection under their helmets? And yes, many an off-road four-stroker are louder than some of these Flat Track bikes.

I hear ya. I have even been roosted when fixing a flat. it sucked. So when we got the tire tightened back down our MOB headed off down the trail. We caught up with the McJackasses that sprayed us with mud. As soon as they did that **** they made enemy's. When your kid does something bad and deserves a swat you give them a spanken. So we proceded to give a spankin to these jerks. they deserved it. Hopefully these people will learn from it. This may sound bullish but when a rock the size of a baseball hits you in the back you tend to get a little pissed.

• Guy

Posted February 15, 2002 - 12:16 PM

:D The issue of a Loud pipe is a personal one, I love the sound of my WR with its E series, but then I only ride on open land well away from civilisation, BUT it should be peoples choice as to whether to run one or not, NOT dictated by politics or some saddo green tree lovin 'ippy!
My choice is that I couldn't run 12 discs like some of our more esteemed members do :) BUT I fully endorse their right to choose to do so !!!
The issue of noise only is a problem in built up areas, a passing plane makes more noise for longer and more pollutants than ANY trail bike.
The whole thing about noise is that it is an EXCUSE....if we capitulate, then it will be tyres, then loud colours, after us...it the turn of the mountain bikes, The greens will only be happy when their, me me me me attitude wins the day and there is NO access to land for anyone unless you are a bona-fide paid up member of some greenie club, it is time we started to fight back instead of arguing amongst ourselves!!! :D

[ February 15, 2002: Message edited by: Guy ]

• Uncle_Rich

Posted February 15, 2002 - 01:10 PM

I raced bikes before they came with silencers
When we had to start running with silencers
I turned faster lap times
I think 90 to 95 dec. is loud enought to hear your bike and to hear other bikes around you
I think my YZ426 is too loud, but a quiet muffler is too much money and too heavy

Rich

• Mike_in_Silicon_valley

Posted February 15, 2002 - 02:30 PM

Guys,
Sometimes wisdom is knowing who's trying to help you and who's trying to harm you.

Trailryder,
I share your thoughts and applaud your efforts.

Whether you like loud pipes or not a friendly person in a green jacket with a badge is going to start giving you free passes to the forest service ball if you have a loud pipe. You can be proactive or reactive, your choice.

I'll say this one more time. We are trying not to offend the average reasonable person. No matter what we do the greenies want us to die.

Let's stop fighting amongst ourselves.

Mike

[ February 16, 2002: Message edited by: Mike in Silicon valley ]

• blackie

Posted February 15, 2002 - 03:35 PM

I just recently returned to motorcycles after 8 years on a mountain bike. For the past 8 years, I rode my mountain bike hundreds of times in Moab. I have been passed by many a dirt biker with both loud and quiet pipes. Basically, I hear them coming, then they pass, and in less then a minute I can't hear their bikes. Obviously the issue goes beyond the sound produced by dirt bikes. It comes down to an issue of trail conservation and in Moab this affects mountain bikers, ATVs, 4X4s and dirt bikes equally.

If it's not the pipe, then it will be another issue, and then another issue. So, as far as I am concerned, I will ride my bike without the cork, and enjoy myself, especially since I have seen both sides and realize that noise in the desert is not the REAL issue.

YES=LOUD

John

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted February 15, 2002 - 04:51 PM

Gentlemen, This is truly a sensitive subject. I totally appreciate the different views from all of you. Really! It's great that we all have our own minds here.

I was raised to respect others. If I had a dual-sported dirtbike (and rode on streets) I would make sure that I was in compliance with the law regarding sound db's. Also I wouldn't want my bike to be annoyingly loud to disturb others. However, I ride my bike in very remote areas on closed corses, I think I should be able to run an aftermarket exhaust system of my choice.

I really don't think that loudness is the issue here, I think that they're a groups of people that dont want us here no matter what. I would bend over backwards for the greenies if it meant that no more areas would close but they'll do it regardless of how loud our bikes are. I know we need to do our part to make sure that were on our best behavior but how much do we need to sacrifice? This is a sad subject for me, it really hits home as a Californian.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PMAUST

Posted February 15, 2002 - 05:14 PM

Attention all you California folks please read the following post as it is extremely important to us all. Thanks, Paul M.
http://www.thumperta...ic&f=3&t=006995

• crazyadam

Posted February 16, 2002 - 09:25 AM

LOUD... its a big bore.. it's going to be load(to most people)
BUT considerate!
I like to be able to putt into a place I know I'm not supposed to be, and tear it up for a few... then sneak to the next ski area... or whatever!
:)

• MONTY

Posted February 16, 2002 - 01:01 PM

Until you get a ticket from ranger DICK you won't know what is trying to be said, and that is if your rideing in a national forest keep it quite. In the desert were it is more open and noise can dispense more easily it may not be that big of a issues, but know this when they(the greens) are done with us up north in the national forset they will come after the desert rider on noise. I vote quite.
monty

• Tree_hugger

Posted February 16, 2002 - 01:50 PM

In less than three years you will be able to ride in any national forest you wish, as long as it doesn't have any ball or roller bearings in it. So what difference does it make if it is loud or quiet. The greenies have been working on this agenda for over thirty tears. And you are going to stop them in a few? But if you try to comply now, it will be less than three years before you have to use your YZ's and WR's for anchors.
I hope I am wrong. :)

• streamdream

Posted February 16, 2002 - 06:30 PM

Ok, this is not a yes or no issue. It's a timing issue. If I'm 47 miles out in the boonies on a Monday morning, I'm going to feel like it's ok to let it rip. If I'm near a camping area with kids and families, I'm going to take it easy and be respectful of their limited tollerence for my FMF PC4. Even me, the loud FMF guy, gets pissed at idiots (fat or young...doesn't matter) when they screw it up around other people trying to relax and enjoy the peace and quiet. And another thing...if you idiots ride by someone on a horse or hiking, and you think it's cool to roost them or scare them, you can count on them voting to ban you from doing it again. As far as I'm concerned, YOU ARE AN IDIOT who should not be riding anyway. If we see you, we'll run you down and smack your ass for ruining it for me and my buds who care about others and the future of our sport. We duked it out with some zit-faced two-stroke punks last year and had a great time teaching them a lesson about respect for others. In fact, I think I've still got some zit puss on my gloves from the idiot who flipped us off when we asked them to take their two-stinks some place else. Just be respectful and aware of your behavior around those that can vote you out of the woods.

[ February 17, 2002: Message edited by: Bill ]

• Bill

Posted February 17, 2002 - 05:23 AM

LOUD!

Compromise........needed but, where does it end?

Consideration........Yes but, the land belongs to ALL of us.

Would I have bought a pipe, that would have made the same or slightly less HP but, was quieter and still saved weight when I bought (if available and still isn't) my E-Series? Don't know?

And it still appears that the aftermarket does not seem to care as much as we do when it comes to making ponies quietely.

Bill

• *mike68*

Posted February 17, 2002 - 05:48 AM

Stealth mode for me.

• mikem

Posted February 18, 2002 - 05:11 AM

I vote for quiet.

I enjoy the maximum amount of trails

• MOmilkman

Posted February 19, 2002 - 05:43 PM

Well, after much discussion on this topic, it looks like it is starting to die down.

I am actually very suprised at the results of the poll.
Here it is>>> Poll Results
I figured more T-Talkers in for loud but I guess I figured wrong.

[ February 19, 2002: Message edited by: MOmilkman ]

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.