07 YZ 450F vs 07 KTM 300XC for OFFROAD

56 replies to this topic
  • SC_Spode

Posted June 20, 2007 - 01:08 PM

If not this Summer/Fall, definitely by Christmas time :thumbsup:.

It's usually warm enough to ride somewhere around here almost year 'round. :thumbsup:

• xr250ryder

Posted July 10, 2007 - 11:39 AM

When the EFI comes out on the YZ450, I am going to sell my WR450 and get one. I never use the electric start, all it does it weigh me down. There is also a butt load of restrictions that need to be removed and to get the power I want, even more. I'm just going to buy a YZ and put a WR gearbox and 18 rear wheel and instant trail machine. Plus it will feel like it weights 60 lbs lighter. Where I ride nimble is a definite plus.

• grayracer513

Posted July 10, 2007 - 12:07 PM

Don't sell WR's short until you've tried one with the aluminum frame. They are as different from the steel ones as the new YZF was from the old, and you can put one on a diet and get it to produce YZF power for less than the cost of the transmission conversion, never mind the 18" rear.

• Chris_in_the_Mojave

Posted July 10, 2007 - 12:17 PM

I also have an 06 YZ450F and an 05 YZ250. I just sold an 02 YZ250.

Thoughts:

For tighter, more technical terrain, I prefer the YZ250. The 02 actually has a better motor than the 05 for this type of riding. In 03 Yamaha made some slight porting changes and lightened the crank inertia, all of which made it a bit snappier but the the 02 was torquier and easier to ride.
The 250's can be flicked in and out with much less effort.
The 450 has a broader, torquier engine but the handling of the 250 is a much bigger advantage in the tight stuff.

I'm in the process of setting up my 05 for woods. I'm revalving and repsringing the forks and shock, installing a heavy FWW and may try a Gnarly pipe. I've also got an aftermarket seat I'm going to use as the stockers can be quite painful after extended rides. I'll also put on all the other woods goodies (skid plate, bark busters, o-ring chain, etc).

The YZ chassis is a neutral handling platform that instills confidence.

The only 300's I've been on have good motors but vibrate enough for it to be a fatigue concern for a ride of any length of time.

I've got a buddy that only likes to ride 500cc 2-strokes, even in southeastern woods. He rides a KX500 I built for him that is the closest thing to an electric tractor I've ever been on. After riding my 02 YZ250 he said, "That's all you really need. If I ever decide to change bikes I want one of these".

And just so you don't think I'm a Blue Guy, I also have a CR, CRFX, KTM 525SX, Gas Gas 250EC, just sold a CRF450 and I'm looking at a KX450.

I like 'em all. :thumbsup:

:busted:

He's pretty much nailed it here... I've had the 02 YZ250 too. And used to ride with a guy that have NOTHING but a string of KTM 300's. For offroad the 300 is a great "do it all" bike. The longer the ride the better you'll like it... That said I prefer the "quicker" nature of the YZ250.

As cheap as the 2 strokes are selling for used... you should pick one up and give it a try! While you still can! :thumbsup:

• Ga426owner

Posted July 10, 2007 - 01:32 PM

I know you are Yamaha guys but be straight up with me here. I just sold my 06 WR450F and am trying to find the next bike. I swore to myself that I would never ride a two stroke again, but I keep hearing great things about the 300xc. I have also had people tell me to stay away from the xc and since I didn't quite like the weight or power of the WR buy a YZ 450 and set it up for offroad. When I watch the offroad races especially Erzberg, Last man standing, etc all I see are 300XC's partly because of their location but also because they must be great bikes. I ride technical tight trails, hill climbs, some fast desert, no mx. What do you think?

so what did you decide? I see you never came back.........from over a month ago and this thread went all over the place
we scared him I guess.......he bought a quad....damn

• WGP

Posted July 12, 2007 - 09:31 AM

Don't sell WR's short until you've tried one with the aluminum frame. They are as different from the steel ones as the new YZF was from the old, and you can put one on a diet and get it to produce YZF power for less than the cost of the transmission conversion, never mind the 18" rear.

The only thing I think the WR is missing is the suspension, it seems the YZ will handle desert whoops way better than the WR?
I race desert and can't decide which one to buy next 07 WR or YZ?? I have a 05 WR and the bike rips but the suspension kills me in the deep whoops and it is revalved by factory connection...

• grayracer513

Posted July 12, 2007 - 09:55 AM

The only thing I think the WR is missing is the suspension, it seems the YZ will handle desert whoops way better than the WR?
I race desert and can't decide which one to buy next 07 WR or YZ?? I have a 05 WR and the bike rips but the suspension kills me in the deep whoops and it is revalved by factory connection...

The thing to remember about the WR is that it uses "last year's" technology ever since '04. The '04 still had 46mm forks. Your '05 has the same single chamber 48mm fork that the '04 YZF came with, and the '06 was still a steel frame with the '05 YZ suspension on it.

There is no way to even start comparing the performance of the chassis and forks you have with those on the '06 YZ450 or the '07 WR450. They're on another plane altogether. Like I say, don't sell the new WR short until you try one.

• xr250ryder

Posted July 12, 2007 - 10:01 AM

I would but I weigh 170 lbs already. I cant loose any weight without sacrificing my muscle mass. I have yet to ride a aluminum frame WR, but I will try one before I finalize my decision.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • aaronw

Posted July 12, 2007 - 10:09 AM

Go with the YZ! I ride similar stuff here in Michigan. The state ORV trails that I ride are tight and nasty .. whoops, sand, mud. If you plan no MX and just trials, go with a heavier fly wheel. This will grealty improve ability to manage the power reserves of the 450.

• aaronw

Posted July 12, 2007 - 10:13 AM

Also, kill the idea of the WR. I had a 06... great bike... but if your looking for MX type performance for off-road, there is nothing better than a YZ period... at least made by Yamaha (never ridden any other make).

I've got a '07 YZF450... and while it takes time to adjust, you can't go wrong long-term.

• WGP

Posted July 12, 2007 - 11:00 AM

The thing to remember about the WR is that it uses "last year's" technology ever since '04. The '04 still had 46mm forks. Your '05 has the same single chamber 48mm fork that the '04 YZF came with, and the '06 was still a steel frame with the '05 YZ suspension on it.

There is no way to even start comparing the performance of the chassis and forks you have with those on the '06 YZ450 or the '07 WR450. They're on another plane altogether. Like I say, don't sell the new WR short until you try one.

What type of the forks does the 07 WR have? Are they "twin chamber" I think that is what your saying.....
They are not very specific on the yamaha site :
http://www.yamaha-mo.../1/compare.aspx
For desert racing the WR has many advantages (especially the 07) I'm leaning that way but still not quite sure:banghead:

• grayracer513

Posted July 12, 2007 - 11:08 AM

The '07 WR has the same second generation twin chamber KYB fork that the '06 YZ450 came with (the SSS speed sensitive fork), and they are phenomenally good.

The '06 WR and '05 TZ450 had the first generation twin chamber KYB fork (the AOSS fork), which was better than the single chambers, but needed work.

• coffee

Posted July 12, 2007 - 07:10 PM

... don't sell the new WR short until you try one.

Agreed. Took a spin on a new one and could not believe how good the suspension & jetting were. Bone stock bike with a few free mods.

• JSanfilippo

Posted July 12, 2007 - 07:21 PM

Agreed. Took a spin on a new one and could not believe how good the suspension & jetting were. Bone stock bike with a few free mods.

And new kill switch :thumbsup:

Got the western power sports generic yamaha one on there. Had to splice into the stock kill switch wires because they had different connectors. I think this aftermarket one is significantly better than that OEM piece of crap.

For the poster that said the WR suspension is lacking in the whoops, that may have been true of the 05 but the 07 is a totally different animal. Try one out, you'll be surprised...I was :thumbsup:

• UnBubba

Posted July 12, 2007 - 08:09 PM

I have a stock 06 YZ450, and just recently switched bikes with my friend riding an 07 WR450. We were riding tight stuff up in Kennedy Meadows. The bike was okay, but I was unimpressed. Slow...mushy. Yes, it had all the Yamaha power-robbing booby traps removed. He loves the bike though, and as soon as he removes the dastardly stock front tire, he'll like it even more.
On the other hand, I just rode an 05 Husaberg 650, and that thing was, well, bitchin'. I want one.

• NM_KDX200

Posted July 13, 2007 - 01:51 PM

The only way my 06 YZ450 weighs 220 lbs is by removing some important parts.

I have a certified cattle scale that's accurate to 5 lbs- later this afternoon I'll toss my '04 on it and see what it weighs, ready to roll.

• grayracer513

Posted July 13, 2007 - 02:18 PM

The only way my 06 YZ450 weighs 220 lbs is by removing some important parts.

If you drain the forks, shock, gas tank, engine and brakes, it will weigh 220, but it's not very useful in that state.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.