constant missing on 06 wr450

11 replies to this topic
  • wild west al

Posted June 08, 2007 - 09:10 PM

has anyone experience problemswith a miss fire and popping throughout different throttle positions ,loaded or unloaded on a wr450 ,we have changed ,carbies ,cdi ,checked valve springs and seating ,changed plugs and still cannot find the problem ,any known faults like this with the plug mounted coil or maybe charge system? :thumbsup:

• Mutu

Posted June 08, 2007 - 10:16 PM

I would be checking for air leaks.... starting with the exhaust system.

My bet is that you have had the exhaust system off and my bet is the header pipe is mis-alligned in the head. Get a new exhaust gasket for the head and fit the header back on straight. Take care to tighten both the bolt and nut evenly, a little bit at a time on both sides.

• wild west al

Posted June 09, 2007 - 04:53 AM

thanks for the tip ,but there are no leaks in the intake or exhaust ,it even sounds like an electrical misfire

• Mutu

Posted June 09, 2007 - 08:10 AM

Does it spit flames?

• SXP

Posted June 09, 2007 - 08:32 AM

has anyone experience problemswith a miss fire and popping throughout different throttle positions ,loaded or unloaded on a wr450 ,we have changed ,carbies ,cdi ,checked valve springs and seating ,changed plugs and still cannot find the problem ,any known faults like this with the plug mounted coil or maybe charge system? :thumbsup:

My neighbors 03 WR450 exhibited the same symptons. We tried everything to get it to run smoothly, but to no avail. Out of desparation, we finally jury rigged the coil from my 99 wr400 (I didn't have my 07 then) to his bike and that fixed the problem. A new coil cost him $70 and the dealer couldn't believe someone was trying to buy one as he had never heard of a coil failure.

• wild west al

Posted June 10, 2007 - 10:42 PM

no she doesnt spit flames

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mutu

Posted June 11, 2007 - 01:28 AM

Have you checked TPS with multimeter as per manual?
A misfire while loaded is rich jetting at what ever throttle position.

What's the jetting specs?

If changing jetting does f&%$ all, 9 times out of ten it will be exhaust leak.

• wild west al

Posted June 11, 2007 - 05:29 AM

Have you checked TPS with multimeter as per manual?
A misfire while loaded is rich jetting at what ever throttle position.

What's the jetting specs?

If changing jetting does f&%$ all, 9 times out of ten it will be exhaust leak.

have checked tps at various throttle positions as per manual.checked all stator windings with megger upto 500volts(disconnected of course)and all holding stable .I'm thinking the metering bowl needs to come off the throttle body on the carb but i'm hessitant to do this as I can not find a spare part number for the gasket and thats possibly why its fitted with tamper proof screws

• mountainWR

Posted June 14, 2007 - 07:11 AM

Sounds to me that you need an AIS removal kit. I couldn't figure out how to jet my 06 until I got that stuph off.

• BOBR

Posted June 14, 2007 - 12:08 PM

Does it happen all the time or just come and go sporatically?

• wild west al

Posted June 15, 2007 - 05:32 AM

Sounds to me that you need an AIS removal kit. I couldn't figure out how to jet my 06 until I got that stuph off.

this is an australia model wr and i dont believe it has all the ais referred to by most thumpertalk forums ,is the ais a US antipolution supplement?

• wild west al

Posted June 15, 2007 - 05:35 AM

Does it happen all the time or just come and go sporatically?

It misses ,hisses ,pops and farts from about 1500rpm and is worse under load ,if you have the front wheel in the air it will try to throw you over the bars when it misses,is slaps the wheel down rather quickly

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.