Using a YZ400/426 oil filter in a YZ450?

5 replies to this topic
  • TX-SANDMAN

Posted June 08, 2007 - 04:43 PM

I read over 20 threads and they never really addressed the pros and cons using the older 400/426 filter in the newer 450's. IMO there are more Pros.

Pros - It seem like they (the older 400/426 filter) would be the HOT :thumbsup: set up for more number of oil changes (you can clean them a few times) and more FLOW for the motor. These things are only about $5.00. from Dennis Kirk.

Cons - The older filter is 1 mm shorter and the rubber gaskets are a little different. Some people mention paper filters may filter finer particles. To this I say any particle this small will be suspended in the oil and get flushed out in our frequent (read obsessive) oil changes.:)

• grayracer513

Posted June 08, 2007 - 07:49 PM

http://www.thumperta...600#post3110600

The brass mesh elements simply don't filter well enough, and they are too delicate to maintain even that level of filtration with any dependability if cleaned and reused multiple times. As it stands, they filter nothing smaller than 70 microns, which is more than .002". Since the camshaft clearance is .0011"-.0024", this obviously isn't good enough, and it's why they were abandoned.

Paper filters will catch things smaller than 20 microns, but not necessarily on the first pass. They will also allow some material as large as 100 microns to slip by occasionally. These will certainly be caught on the next pass, but in the meantime, that leaves a .004" chunk of whatever bouncing through the lube system.

Use a Scotts. Avoid both these problems and more.

• e30M3

Posted June 08, 2007 - 07:56 PM

Let me start by saying the Japenese are great engineers but I hate their part numbering system. Can't tell you how many times I have asked for a part (honda or Yamaha) and the guy says they don't have it stock. I ask for the same part off a different year bike and they have it (nuts and bolts are common in this scenario). I think their part number system is affected by both the model and year-kinda like a serial number.

I can't really speak to th pros or cons but I can tell you the following:

I have an '02 YZ426f that takes oil filter part #1UY-13440-02 and my wife has an '05 YFZ450 (quad) that takes part #5TA-13440-00. Now the original box for my bikes filter says it will work on a TT250R, WR250, WR426, YZ250, YZ400, YZ426, TTR250 etc. (the box actually says "etc."). It goes on to say it works on ATV models YFM350/400 etc.

Now the oil filter for my wife's quad says it will work on YZ450/250/426, WR250/250 and under ATV YFZ450 (her bike).

Don't know if any of that helps-but you can certainly pick a filter and it will work. I am kinda wierd in the sense I know both will work but when I order through Thumpertalk I get several of each and put the original in the respective bike.

By the way the 426 filter is slightly longer (the filter itself and the overall length including the seals. The 426 filter almost looks like a fine screen where as the 450 quad's filter is more of a cloth material. The seals are slightly different but through their design I think they both have pros/cons to how they would seal.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 08, 2007 - 08:40 PM

The actual part numbers are 1UY-13440-02-00 for the brass mesh, and 5TA-13440-00-00 for the "paper" filters. They are 100% interchangeable, subject to the info I posted.

The part numbers used by Yamaha (not the Japanese) is a "basic number" scheme, similar to that used by Ford. All 13440's are oil filters. All 12180's are exhaust cams.

The prefix tells you what bike the part was originally issued for, if you know what the prefix means. 5TA is an '03 YZ450. 1UY, I believe is a model that predated the first YZ400. The suffix numbers are used for sizes, revisions and other updates.

• Wiz636

Posted June 09, 2007 - 09:51 AM

So...will a filter for an '02 426 work in an '06 YZ450?

• TX-SANDMAN

Posted June 09, 2007 - 01:23 PM

Ok this has been a big help.

Yes the filters will work but they do not filter as well - thanks fot the reponse Grayracer!

The brass mesh elements simply don't filter well enough, and they are too delicate to maintain even that level of filtration with any dependability if cleaned and reused multiple times. As it stands, they filter nothing smaller than 70 microns, which is more than .002". Since the camshaft clearance is .0011"-.0024", this obviously isn't good enough, and it's why they were abandoned.

I put the 2000 426 filter in my bike last night and will probably use it a few times and go back to a paper filter of a Scotts mesh filter next change.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.