WASHING the Pig...

13 replies to this topic
  • squatpuke

Posted June 08, 2007 - 02:30 PM

You guys use any special solvents or cleaners?

Was thinking about a Sam's Club size bottle of "Simple Green" and a bucket...

What do you dirtbags (pun intended) use to wash your piggie?

• martinfan30

Posted June 08, 2007 - 02:35 PM

my squealer gets "citrus"( an automotive detailing degreaser) and a pressure washer. its mild but man it is killer ish. simple green is also good.

• Miguel159

Posted June 08, 2007 - 04:32 PM

Yup. Simple Green and a garden hose works magic :thumbsup: . Simple Green doesn't oxidize aluminum like some harsh solvents can. I buy a big 4 litre jug of it at Wally World and dilute it by 1/4 in my own spray bottle.

• nate992v

Posted June 08, 2007 - 07:06 PM

Maxima air filter/chain degreaser for the chain, purple power for everything else. Just make the bike is cold when you do it.

• tdamore

Posted June 08, 2007 - 08:31 PM

Maxima air filter/chain degreaser for the chain, purple power for everything else. Just make the bike is cold when you do it.

Be careful with that Purple power stuff. It stained the wheels and swingarm on my old bike.

• G MONEY50

Posted June 09, 2007 - 08:19 PM

if youve got caked on stuff i use safety solvent. it leaves residue so i wash the bike really good with soap and water after but for really grimy caked stuff solvent will eat through it like no other.

• Billahjack

Posted June 09, 2007 - 09:26 PM

Be careful with that Purple power stuff. It stained the wheels and swingarm on my old bike.

2nd on the purple power. It stained my buddy's magnesium covers (streaks) and turned the aluminum a darker color with more streaks. Watch out for some of the degreasers. I think they chemically react with metals and anodizing.

Dish soap first, Comet and scrub brush for plastics like the tank, water for chain followed by WD-40 when its dry. I carefully use brake cleaner around the front sprocket area if it gets greasy.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • exaresix

Posted June 09, 2007 - 10:59 PM

Purple power will not only stain aluminum, it will etch it deeply if the part is warm.

• wheelnut46

Posted June 10, 2007 - 05:03 AM

Car wash soap and simple green on the tough stuff.

• pyrofreak

Posted June 10, 2007 - 06:53 AM

I've found that Purple Power cleaner works the best, but you have to be careful, it can strip the paint off your frame if you let it set for too long!

• nate992v

Posted June 10, 2007 - 08:20 PM

Are the folks with the problems using Purple Power letting is sit for extended periods on hot engine parts? I've never had any problems with it on aluminum. I have had Simple Green mess up the paint on my streetbike rims, which is why I swore it off for good.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted June 11, 2007 - 07:45 AM

My bike has a nice even earth-tone to it, why would I wash it?

Dave

• walshdanielm1965

Posted June 11, 2007 - 09:20 AM

I agree with Dave......I would just have to wash it again after the next ride.....

• exaresix

Posted June 11, 2007 - 12:05 PM

I agree with Dave......I would just have to wash it again after the next ride.....

I wash my bike.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.