why they quit?

25 replies to this topic
  • Richie B

Posted June 12, 2007 - 04:29 PM

i heard that they kept making bikes to keep up with the 250smokers.. the 426 was simply a small step from 400 to 450

• SC_Spode

Posted June 12, 2007 - 07:19 PM

The YZ400 was such a pile of crap that it immediately won the AMA SX championship, first year out. The AMA retreated to a 450cc limit. :thumbsup:

Didn't those big, nasty (like almost 550cc) KTM's that Dowd & Co. were using to pull monster holeshots (like a 1/4 mile ahead of the field! :busted: ) have something to do with the squawking to drop the cc ceiling?

The guy that hit the first turn in second thought he had the holeshot... 'cause Dowd was already 3 turns ahead and out of sight by the time they got there. :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted June 12, 2007 - 08:40 PM

Could have.

The AMA set the limit at 550cc without any research whatsoever. Yamaha built the YZF at 400 based on a reasonable estimate that that would create a pretty good match up. The AMA went 550 because they didn't believe a 4-stroke could win regardless of how big it was.

Yamaha was right and the AMA was wrong. Happens sometimes. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SC_Spode

Posted June 13, 2007 - 04:37 AM

Yamaha was right and the AMA was wrong. Happens sometimes. :thumbsup:

The AMA wrong?

Surely, you jest. :thumbsup:

• Ga426owner

Posted June 13, 2007 - 08:36 AM

The AMA wrong?

Surely, you jest. :thumbsup:

Amen brother......:thumbsup:
Why did they quit making the 400/426.....because the need for more power.............to be competitive. And I thank Yami for it....wow those 400s and 426s are like pregnant dinosaurs compared to the new 06-08 bikes.

• SC_Spode

Posted June 13, 2007 - 10:07 AM

Yeah, I remember my 98 400F felt like it had a 25-35 weight bolted on where the front number plate was supposed to be. :thumbsup:

Talk about top heavy. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.