XR650R Cooling Issue Solved (for me)

6 replies to this topic
  • Aokahn

Posted June 08, 2007 - 09:25 AM

Couple months back I got a new to me BRP. Slapped a TrailTech on it only to find it ran much hotter than I thought is should, around 245. So after much trial and error I got it around 225. I read a bunch of post here about people overheating and such and I though it was normal.

The other day I noticed a little coolant under the bike. Dropped the skid plate and found my weep hole was weeping. Ordered a new water pump and during the swap, I examined the old pump. I rotated the shaft and surprise, I pulled the shaft right out. The water pump was off the bike but still bolted together. The threads on the shaft had a layer of gunk on them. I split the pump and checked out the impeller. It was stripped and the shaft fit very freely into the impeller. There was slight scaring in the pump housing where the impeller had given it some love.

The shaft was spinning but the impeller was no longer connected to it. I guess that would result in poor circulation. I slapped the new water pump on and went for a ride. Ran 150 degrees the whole time. I guess I need to "unfix" my thermostat now.

Moral of the story, if you are having some weird cooling issue, try pulling the pump (2 bolts) and make sure the shaft has not stripped out the impeller.

• Thumpmeister

Posted June 08, 2007 - 11:25 AM

How would you know if your having cooling issues w/o having a temp guage?

• Aokahn

Posted June 08, 2007 - 11:48 AM

Boiling over when you are not WFO and not on a tight, slow trail. In other words, under ideal cooling conditions, where the bike is running at a moderate RPM at 40-60 mph. I was seeing around 255 at that point, enough to overflow into the bottle.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Miguel159

Posted June 08, 2007 - 04:36 PM

Good to know. I had to replace the stock "POS" thermostat when the bike was brand new :thumbsup: . It bent and jammed open on a trail and she boiled over. I put in a SRC themostat and water wetter. She's good now.

• mcfly

Posted June 09, 2007 - 08:20 AM

Good to know. I had to replace the stock "POS" thermostat when the bike was brand new :thumbsup: . It bent and jammed open on a trail and she boiled over. I put in a SRC themostat and water wetter. She's good now.

Did it bend and get jammed shut by chance.
Or was it jammed open.
My pals jammed open on his, and he had long warm up times etc. but it ran cool.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted June 09, 2007 - 07:06 PM

Did it bend and get jammed shut by chance.
Or was it jammed open.
My pals jammed open on his, and he had long warm up times etc. but it ran cool.

The stock thermostats always jam open. It's a known defect or Honda deliberately built them to jam in the open position if they jam. They do all jam open eventually.

• Thumpmeister

Posted June 10, 2007 - 12:44 PM

After having 2 stock thermo's getting jammed open, I went w/ the SRC unit. It was almost half the price of a stocker, and works better...

As for the overheating, boiling over is obvious, but how would you know if your bike is just running hotter than it should?

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.