2003 WR450 headlight questions

5 replies to this topic
  • ez__rider

Posted June 08, 2007 - 07:53 AM

Ok, so I am ordering the parts to get my bike titled here in MI.
my buddy has an '04 and he noticed my headlight switch that he doesn't have. so, this brought up an idea:

can I bypass this switch and direct wire the low beams to be on all the time, and then use the switch for the high beams? maybe the effect is that then my low beam AND high beam would be on together, in only the rare occassion that I use the high beam. will this burn the headlight? can the switch handle the high beam current? If it can work, do I need to put a relay in for the high beam?

--> what I'm really looking to do is DS the bike at minimal cost and space. those hi/low/kill switches seem kinda big, so if I can use the smaller one I have, then saaaaaaaaweeeet!

Thanks guys!

• ez__rider

Posted June 11, 2007 - 04:28 AM

bump. anyone know about the current rating on the headlight switch as to if it can handle the high beam?

• bg10459

Posted June 11, 2007 - 06:04 AM

I think the headlight is already using the hi beam; it's the low beam that needs to be connected. :thumbsup: Either way, I'm pretty sure you will draw too much curent if you have both beams on at once.
Wire up the low beam to be on continuous, but use a relay to turn it off when the hi beam turns on.
Also, remember that your headlight is AC, so use the correct relay.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ez__rider

Posted June 21, 2007 - 07:15 AM

ok, I ended up ordering a switch for this to simplify it and I can also use for the horn. question is though: I've been reading some search results, and it sounds like some wiring schematics have been posted on here by some people, but I can't find em... any help?

• BEAN329

Posted June 21, 2007 - 08:25 PM

I spliced in my Hi/Lo headlight switch directly into the headlight power circuit. What I mean is take the power from the headlight and divert it through your handlebar switch first. Then take the two leads from the switch and reattach it to the hi and low beam. Make sense. Next I ran a separate power wire from my battery to the front of the bike (fused of course). I use this to power the horn and turn signals. Horn switches usually work by completeing a circuit to ground so you put 12v on one side of the horn then connect the other side of the horn to your handlebar switch. When you press the horn switch you complete the circuit to ground and the horn blows. Turn signals are also funky, what you do is put 12v of power to one side of the flasher then find the common turn signal wire going to your handlebar switch, that one goes on the other side of the flasher. Now find your left and right turn signal wire from you handlebar switch. The way this circuit works is the flasher is hot all the time(fused of course @10 amps). When you turn the switch to the left it completes the circuit through the left wire the two turn signal light bulbs create enough resistance to make the flasher blink. Since the flasher is wired through the common feed the flasher will blink regardless of the left or right switch being pressed. When I ran a hot wire from my battery to the front of the bike, I also ran two turn signal wires to the back of the bike. I did this by running a small cable with 4 conductors inside. I also have a rear brake light hooked up. I used a regular mechanical type brake light switch hooked to my rear brake lever. If you are interested in this hookup let me know. Sorry this took a lot of writing. It really is not that hard I've done this very same thing on my xr250 and xr400. The battery in the WR makes hooking up lights a lot easier. Feel free to PM me back if you want. ALWAYS PUT FUSES ON HOT WIRES. Mine are under the seat. You can buy them at the auto parts store. Buy the ones that take the new type of fuse you know the flat ones not the round glass ones. If you blow one on the trail you should be able to get replacements anywhere. One more thing test your handlebar switch wires with a multimeter first. You should be able to figure out what wire does what. GOOD LUCK.

• bg10459

Posted June 22, 2007 - 05:10 AM

This ^^^^ is all good, except the fact that you wired AC and DC in the same switch. It will work, but it's not really a good idea.

What you would need to do is use the DC wire to power everything in the switch and let the DC headlight switch power control a relay for the AC headlight power. The AC power for the headlight would go to "COM" (common) on the relay, lo beam to "NC" (normally closed) and hi beam to "NO" (normally open). - The open or closed position is really dependant on what the manufacturer considers normal; coil energized or not -. Either way, if the lo beam is NC it will be on until you energize the coil, or turn on the hi beam switch, at which time the NC opens, turning off the low beam, and the NO closes, turning on the hi beam.

I haven't done it yet, but it makes sense to isolate the AC and DC. Another TT'er sent me a schematic which I will send to you if you PM me an email address.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.