trailer advice and how to help

19 replies to this topic
  • Davebert

Posted June 08, 2007 - 07:51 AM

I am in the planning stages and decided I will be renting a trailer to pick up my 650L but have some questions. I called the local UHaul place and they said they would not recommend their motorcycle trailer for a long haul as the tires were an odd size (hard to find spare in case of flat) and the trailers were all old and beat up, in other words, not reliable. He recommended a ramp trailer as they were new and only $10 more a day. I never towed a bike before....how many straps and how do you hook them up to correctly trailer this bike?
Thanks,
db

• COAL RUN

Posted June 08, 2007 - 08:01 AM

I run one from each side of the bars & pull the bike forward aginst the front of the trailer & run one across the back tire just to keep it from shifting around. The shop you are picking up from should be able to help you get it straped down. So are you headed to Tenn? or did you find a deal closer?

• XR650L_Dave

Posted June 08, 2007 - 08:02 AM

I am in the planning stages and decided I will be renting a trailer to pick up my 650L but have some questions. I called the local UHaul place and they said they would not recommend their motorcycle trailer for a long haul as the tires were an odd size (hard to find spare in case of flat) and the trailers were all old and beat up, in other words, not reliable. He recommended a ramp trailer as they were new and only $10 more a day. I never towed a bike before....how many straps and how do you hook them up to correctly trailer this bike?
Thanks,
db

I use 4 straps minimum.

1 strap each handlebar (under the crossbar) to the front corners of the trailer (or just ahead and to the side of the front wheel) and another pair arranged similarly going from the back.

Dave

• Davebert

Posted June 08, 2007 - 08:21 AM

I run one from each side of the bars & pull the bike forward aginst the front of the trailer & run one across the back tire just to keep it from shifting around. The shop you are picking up from should be able to help you get it straped down. So are you headed to Tenn? or did you find a deal closer?

I will be going to Tenn but not sure if I am going to wait for 2008 bike or not :thumbsup: I am just getting organized. I have a Dodge Caravan and need to put a hitch on it first.
db

• Davebert

Posted June 08, 2007 - 08:22 AM

I use 4 straps minimum.

1 strap each handlebar (under the crossbar) to the front corners of the trailer (or just ahead and to the side of the front wheel) and another pair arranged similarly going from the back.

Dave

Where do the straps going to the back hook onto the bike?
Thanks,
db

• pburke

Posted June 08, 2007 - 09:19 AM

if their "ramp trailer" is what I had to get my bike from Minnesota, you're looking at a huge 900lbs empty weight aluminum hauler. They work, but damn, what overkill to haul a bike.

• HawkGT

Posted June 08, 2007 - 09:43 AM

I always use two straps. With the bike's front wheel up against an immovable object (like the front of a trailer or tuck bed), run one strap from each handlebar to the front corner (lower corner is best) of the truck/trailer. Compress the front suspension (about 1/2 way).

I've used a third strap going across the back, looped around the rear rim. This three strap settup is actually what Honda recommends in their owner's manuals. I've never found the third strap necessary and don't use it anymore. I suppose in an at-speed collision the third strap would help keep the bike from flying out.

THE QUALITY OF YOUR STRAPS IS IMPORTANT! I've seen people throw strap after strap at a bike trying to secure it adaquately when all they really needed where a couple of good straps (not the junky ones they had). You don't need ratchet straps. Good quality cam-buckle straps are what you want. Ancra makes a quality strap--look for that brand at a bike shop/dealership. I've got a set of MSR branded straps that are also excellent (they might be made by Ancra for all I know). Pretty much all the cam buckle straps I've seen that came from Lowes, Home Depo, etc where JUNK and I wouldn't trust them to strap my bike.

• Davebert

Posted June 08, 2007 - 09:58 AM

if their "ramp trailer" is what I had to get my bike from Minnesota, you're looking at a huge 900lbs empty weight aluminum hauler. They work, but damn, what overkill to haul a bike.

Yeah, thats what I thought too. The one they quoted me was the 5x9 and around 1200 lbs :thumbsup:

• Davebert

Posted June 08, 2007 - 09:59 AM

I always use two straps. With the bike's front wheel up against an immovable object (like the front of a trailer or tuck bed), run one strap from each handlebar to the front corner (lower corner is best) of the truck/trailer. Compress the front suspension (about 1/2 way).

I've used a third strap going across the back, looped around the rear rim. This three strap settup is actually what Honda recommends in their owner's manuals. I've never found the third strap necessary and don't use it anymore. I suppose in an at-speed collision the third strap would help keep the bike from flying out.

THE QUALITY OF YOUR STRAPS IS IMPORTANT! I've seen people throw strap after strap at a bike trying to secure it adaquately when all they really needed where a couple of good straps (not the junky ones they had). You don't need ratchet straps. Good quality cam-buckle straps are what you want. Ancra makes a quality strap--look for that brand at a bike shop/dealership. I've got a set of MSR branded straps that are also excellent (they might be made by Ancra for all I know). Pretty much all the cam buckle straps I've seen that came from Lowes, Home Depo, etc where JUNK and I wouldn't trust them to strap my bike.

What is the ideal length of straps to buy? And thanks for the info too :thumbsup:

• davidl9999

Posted June 08, 2007 - 10:21 AM

What is the ideal length of straps to buy? And thanks for the info too :thumbsup:

Any bike shop, Pep Boys, AutoZone, Kragen, etc. should have transport straps. I use camlock straps about 5' long, one on each handle bar and transport 3 bikes. I've had the back end of the bikes jump a bit if I go over speed bumps too fast, but I've never lost one yet. I also put a cable lock through the front wheels and the trailer frame in case a strap slips and to keep the bike on the trailer in case of an accident. The cable lock is also useful for when we stop for breaks so no one needs to wait in the truck.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Davebert

Posted June 08, 2007 - 10:30 AM

Good advice on the cable lock...Thanks for your input.
db

• HawkGT

Posted June 08, 2007 - 10:54 AM

About 6 or so feet is a "normal" length.

Here's some pics showing the difference among straps. It's not that the thinner strap doesn't have strong enough webbing to hold the tensions we're using. It's that in my experience these thinner webbings don't hold and grab in the buckle as well. I don't know if it's that the thinner material just doesn't provide enough thickness for the teeth of the buckle to bite into or what--but they just don't hold as well. And they're less likely to align perfectly straight in the buckle and that compromises there holding ability. Then there's the more obvious differences in outright webbing strength and ability to withstand X amount of abrasion before breaking. This particular yellow strap has a decent buckle (some don't), but the webbing lets it down.

I don't think you can get a strap like the black one at Autozone or Lowes--even their top of the line "heavy duty" labeled straps. For one time use, sure--most straps will probably get the job done. But I'd reccommend going out of your way and buying a superior strap. That way you KNOW that once properly put into use it will not let you down.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I don't mean to sound condescending about others' strap choices. But I've seen poor straps and poor strapping techniques get the better of some of my friends, so I gotta speak up.

• Davebert

Posted June 08, 2007 - 11:03 AM

So what brand do you use? Any recommendations?
Thanks for the pics and advice,
db

• HawkGT

Posted June 08, 2007 - 11:19 AM

Ancra makes a good strap. I looked and my MSR straps (the black one's pictured) are made by Adran--I'd definitely recommend those. I've been using that set for years. I'm sure there are other good staps out there too.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted June 08, 2007 - 12:26 PM

Where do the straps going to the back hook onto the bike?
Thanks,
db

There are exposed frame bits under the fender, or around the exhaust/swingarm.

Dave

• Davebert

Posted June 08, 2007 - 01:10 PM

Ancra makes a good strap. I looked and my MSR straps (the black one's pictured) are made by Adran--I'd definitely recommend those. I've been using that set for years. I'm sure there are other good staps out there too.

What is the part number for those?
Thanks,
db

• HawkGT

Posted June 08, 2007 - 02:27 PM

Not sure on part numbers but these are the ones I have: http://www.motoworld...R Tiedowns.html. I didn't get them from there, but I'm 99.9% sure those are the ones. I can almost make out the Adran tag sewn on them. I'm sure there available from lots of places including the Thumpertalk store.

• Davebert

Posted June 09, 2007 - 05:18 AM

Thanks for the info...Is that price for a pair or each?
db

• HawkGT

Posted June 09, 2007 - 07:18 AM

I assume pair. I don't think I've ever seen tie-down straps sold individually.

• Davebert

Posted June 09, 2007 - 06:59 PM

Got some ordered...Funny thing is, I found the MSR ones with cheaper shipping at one place that advertised they match anybodys price with their "low price guarantee". But when I called to match the price they said they don't match others "sale prices". Anyway, didn't order from them and will put them on my you know what list :) I ordered 1 sets of Adrans and one set of MSR's (probably Adrans) so I am all set :thumbsup:
db

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.