Is rear sprocket too large?

13 replies to this topic
  • neevothespaniel

Posted June 08, 2007 - 03:44 AM

Heres what I got when I bought the bike. It looked to me like the chain was way too loose so I took out a link, moved the axel forward and did the full on shock removal job to check the correct chain slack:

Posted Image

This is what I ended up with. The question relates to the rear sprocket and the chain guide. It looks to me like the rear sprocket is too large for the chain guide.

Posted Image

What do you guys (and gals) think???

p.s. The rear is a 51T

• rmandyzf

Posted June 08, 2007 - 03:50 AM

that does look pretty big is it rubbing the cahin guide if it is replace

• neevothespaniel

Posted June 08, 2007 - 04:34 AM

Took the chain guard apart the other day to clean it and it has a fairly big gouge out of it. I am assuming that is not normal?

What rear sprocket are people usually running with a 14T up front?

I don't mind losing some of the torque, the thing spins the rear in every gear at the moment :thumbsup:

• skwerlee

Posted June 08, 2007 - 05:48 AM

I had the same problem when I went to a +3 rear sprocket while at the same time taking out 1 too many links by accident. This caused my rear wheel to be scooted up too much and gave me the clearance issues. Just cut a small notch in the bottom of the chain guide so it clears and trim the rubber insert accordingly...works like a charm!

• adamdf

Posted June 08, 2007 - 06:47 AM

I had the same problem when I went to a +3 rear sprocket while at the same time taking out 1 too many links by accident. This caused my rear wheel to be scooted up too much and gave me the clearance issues. Just cut a small notch in the bottom of the chain guide so it clears and trim the rubber insert accordingly...works like a charm!

may i ask why you went up 3 teeth on a 450?

• WB450

Posted June 08, 2007 - 07:10 AM

I went up 2 teeth in the rear and wished I went up 3. It works better in tight single track for me.

• skwerlee

Posted June 08, 2007 - 08:27 AM

may i ask why you went up 3 teeth on a 450?

I have a 426f...same clearance issue though so that's why I responded.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Qwik Gixxer

Posted June 08, 2007 - 10:43 AM

I have a 51 on the back but a little more chain. bike had a 14/45 when I got it.

• jayh300

Posted June 08, 2007 - 11:13 AM

mine has a 51 and nothing hits on it ???????

• jamiehughes

Posted June 08, 2007 - 02:14 PM

looks like to me that the bike still has the junk stock chain on it,the one that stretches like a rubberband, buy a good chain,set the tension, you should be good to go. it doesn't hurt for the sproket to be inside the chain guard a bit it actually is that way from the factory. the sprocket looks like a stock size sprocket to me. probably a 49 tooth one.

• neevothespaniel

Posted June 08, 2007 - 02:37 PM

The sprocket is a 51T and the chain is a DID (not sure if these are standard). To those asking why I have a 51T on the rear; Is was not my choice, I bought the bike like this.

I just want to eliminate any future problems by setting the bike up correctly before I start hammering it too hard.

Would everyone recommend dropping to a 48T or 49T on the rear?

• jamiehughes

Posted June 08, 2007 - 03:05 PM

i've got a 51 on my 06 and it has no problems, if you look at a couple of the other pics of bikes on this page and the way the sprocket fits in the guide looks pretty similar to yours,if you are having rubbing and clearance issues maybe the rear gide carrier is bent, thats pretty common, just look for scraping or contact points on the bottom of the guide. usually you don't have to modify the guide unless you get up to a 53 or 54 tooth sprocket. i think you just need to spend $70 and get a good chain.

• neevothespaniel

Posted June 08, 2007 - 05:29 PM

Well I went out and got a smaller sprocket anyway. Bought a 48T because I have now eliminated the chain guide issue. I also have a sparkly gold rear sprocket which is kind of cool :)

Heres the result:

Posted Image

Can anyone tell me if the stock chain is a DID 520 DMA2? If not then it looks like there is more stuff I need to :thumbsup:

• yz4fun

Posted June 08, 2007 - 05:58 PM

48 is stock for the back,Im going to a 49 and a Gyt-r fly wheel weight

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.