Hydraulic clutch?

22 replies to this topic
  • Beejay

Posted June 07, 2007 - 07:30 PM

Has anyone fitted a hydraulic clutch to their WR?

I had a ride on a KTM525, that clutch is sweet, now want one on my WR.

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted June 08, 2007 - 07:34 AM

I know what you mean, it feels so light, like a feather. But how was it for engagement point feel?
Dragracers don't like hydraulic clutches because of the lack of feel during engagement.

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted June 08, 2007 - 12:49 PM

I installed a Magura "jack" on my 03 WR450 a couple of years ago. Lighter pull than the cable type and no adjustments needed, ever. Works great.:thumbsup:
Jim

• xrmarty

Posted June 09, 2007 - 01:00 AM

I honestly don't know what is the big deal about hydraulic clutch. My brother has it on his XC450. I don't think if feels that much lighter than cable, and already he had to replace the slave cylinder due to leaks.

• 450high

Posted June 09, 2007 - 04:11 AM

Just installed a new clutch perch , lever i bought from ballards here in australia they claim it reduces pull by 40 % . Wow it really does make the clutch lite.I thought it might be a con but it works great.( www.ballards.cc)

• Beejay

Posted June 15, 2007 - 02:45 PM

I honestly don't know what is the big deal about hydraulic clutch. My brother has it on his XC450. I don't think if feels that much lighter than cable, and already he had to replace the slave cylinder due to leaks.

You're obviously not riding tight technical but more open. I went on a ride where we left at 07h30 & got back at 17h00 & the distance travelled about 60kms. Plenty clutch work in 1st & 2nd, half way through that ride i changed to the KTM with the hydraulic clutch & it was like getting a second breath back & eased off the armpump.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm looking at the Magura & also at 450high suggestion.

• ncampion

Posted June 15, 2007 - 05:37 PM

Get a Rekluse and forget all that "clutch stuff" entirely.

• Tough Guy

Posted June 15, 2007 - 09:28 PM

Get a Rekluse and forget all that "clutch stuff" entirely.

Yes sir, Rekluse is the only way to go for tight technical riding. I love mine and can't believe how great it is.:thumbsup:

Chris

• Beejay

Posted June 17, 2007 - 03:03 PM

I've considered the Rekluse but don't want to lose the engine breaking.

• MxnDoc

Posted June 17, 2007 - 08:06 PM

Has anyone fitted a hydraulic clutch to their WR?

I had a ride on a KTM525, that clutch is sweet, now want one on my WR.

I've read in many posts (do your own search) that there is no difference between a stock and hydraulic clutch on a WR. It was a waste of money. I remember something about the lever arm on the engine being too short to make a big difference (mechanical advantage). A friend put a Magura on his CRF450 he said "no significant difference".
Doc

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TeamScream

Posted June 17, 2007 - 09:34 PM

I've read in many posts (do your own search) that there is no difference between a stock and hydraulic clutch on a WR. It was a waste of money. I remember something about the lever arm on the engine being too short to make a big difference (mechanical advantage). A friend put a Magura on his CRF450 he said "no significant difference".
Doc

Thats because you guys dont do any research on buying the proper components for the Magura clutch.
The stock "Jack" master cylinder is a 10.5mm bore which is way too big, however the Honda version is a 9.5mm bore, I bought the original Magura Jack for the Yamaha a couple of years ago and thought the same thing, "this is no different than stock", but when the original clevis pin on my original unit broke one day and I switched the whole assembly over from my CRF, the difference was NIGHT AND DAY!!!

SO what you do is either call Magura directly and order the parts separately (Honda MC, Yamaha Slave Assy.) and put it together yourself or ask them to do it for you and send it to you as a unit.

OR

Buy the Honda unit and buy a separate Yamaha slave cylinder ($30.00) and swap it out yourself.

Either way you want the 9.5mm master cylinder with the Yamaha slave.

both of mine are like butter.

• gregwr450f

Posted June 17, 2007 - 10:17 PM

You don't lose the engine braking.

• Tough Guy

Posted June 18, 2007 - 05:56 PM

You don't lose engine braking...I love my Rekluse, its the best mod I have done to my bike.:thumbsup:

Chris

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted June 18, 2007 - 08:33 PM

Thats because you guys dont do any research on buying the proper components for the Magura clutch.

I bought the original Magura Jack for the Yamaha a couple of years ago and thought the same thing, "this is no different than stock",

but when the original clevis pin on my original unit broke one day and I switched the whole assembly over from my CRF, the difference was NIGHT AND DAY!!!

So, what you are saying is that you didn't research this problem either, you stumbled upon it by chance :thumbsup:

Have you discussed this with Magura to solve the problem? That would be helpful for them to know and to us as consumers.

• patto3

Posted June 18, 2007 - 08:42 PM

Just installed a new clutch perch , lever i bought from ballards here in australia they claim it reduces pull by 40 % . Wow it really does make the clutch lite.I thought it might be a con but it works great.( www.ballards.cc)

Yea I ordered one of these for my YZ250F, $65 AUD for the perch lever setup with hotstart. I will keep you informed on how it goes when I get it.

• TeamScream

Posted June 19, 2007 - 08:50 AM

So, what you are saying is that you didn't research this problem either, you stumbled upon it by chance :thumbsup:

Have you discussed this with Magura to solve the problem? That would be helpful for them to know and to us as consumers.

Actually yes, I did research it.
I called Peter Uberlacher at Magura to ask if there was any problem using the 9.5mm master, and was told no problem whatsoever, then he told me the pull would be easier, which it was, then I asked him why they did not sell this master with the Yamaha kit in the first place? he was not sure why they made that decision.
But the fact still remains, I kinda did "stumble" upon the solution..:thumbsup: :cheers: :busted:

• SurvivorMan

Posted June 21, 2007 - 08:18 AM

Hydraulic clutches heat up just like a cable. backbleeding them is a pain. i love my cable clutch as i watch my friends try and fix their juice clutches.

• patto3

Posted June 21, 2007 - 11:32 PM

I received my pivot assist clutch which I purchased from ballards.cc, looked at it and thought, wow what a rip off. It was identical to the standard but black. I put it on my bike any way, and then I was blown away! It feels SO light! You know when you ride a KTM and your trying to spot the difference in suspension and power, and then you just say "hey, this clutch feels heaps nice!", it feels THAT good. I Highly recommend anyone who doesn't like their clutch to get one of these.

• TeamScream

Posted June 22, 2007 - 09:28 AM

Hydraulic clutches heat up just like a cable. backbleeding them is a pain. i love my cable clutch as i watch my friends try and fix their juice clutches.

Hmm...
On 3 different bikes I have juice clutches, one is race/track only (my CRF) and it has NEVER EVER once failed me, never heated up, never required "back bleeding" as you describe it.
The only issue I have ever had with one of these was prior to the new upgraded slave cylinder when they used the screw on type end pieces.
That has long been revised and these are bulletproof now.

• Cycle Psycho

Posted June 22, 2007 - 09:51 AM

The fact that Magura hydraulic clutches make your pull easy is "icing on the cake". The more important feature to most riders is the the SELF ADJUSTING feature. Never having to worry about adjusting the cable and always having the engagement point the exact same throughout a long ride or race is Huge!!
The ease of the pull makes it that much better. The difference between 9.0, 9.5, and 10.5 master cylinders is the bore of the mastercylinder and the piston size. Each one changes the leverage ration between master cylinder and slave cylinder 9.0 giving the least throw and 10.5 giving the most. It is determined by Magura Germany which master cylinder is needed per model by how much throw the clutch arm needs to fully disengage your tranny.

For more info or questions contact me at lonnie@magurausa.com

Thanks,
Lonnie

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.