R&D Racing Powerbowl

9 replies to this topic
  • jimbopitts

Posted June 07, 2007 - 04:18 PM

Has anybody tried the r&d racing powerbowl? I have gone rich and lean on my 05 yz 450 and cant get rid of the bog when wicking on the throttle:banghead: I am ready to try anything.

• grayracer513

Posted June 07, 2007 - 04:27 PM

First, learn to roll the throttle rather than snap it. Open the throttle only slightly at first, increasing the opening as fast as the engine can take it.

Second, go through the accelerator pump timing according to the manual.

After that, you could consider the AP wiring mod:

http://www.thumperta...560#post3137560

Or, the ultimate; The Zip-Ty Carb mod:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=458476

• jimbopitts

Posted June 07, 2007 - 04:48 PM

thank you, I will look at these,but my right wrist has a mind of its own

• Ga450owner

Posted June 07, 2007 - 06:33 PM

thank you, I will look at these,but my right wrist has a mind of its own

your bike has the leakjet - send your carb to zipty for their mod and correctly set AP mod if you dont want to do it. Your 05 just needs to be set up correctly.
R&D makes since for a 03 carb as it has no Leakjet...just waiting for someone to offer one for sale cheaper than 200.00 clams to try on my 03

• jimbopitts

Posted June 07, 2007 - 06:36 PM

the pwerbowl has an adjustable leakjetas seen in mxa may 2007

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga450owner

Posted June 07, 2007 - 07:55 PM

the pwerbowl has an adjustable leakjetas seen in mxa may 2007

I see this as no real benefit to a 04-07 if the carb is set up correctly with AP Mod and Ziptys own set up tricks

• grayracer513

Posted June 07, 2007 - 08:15 PM

I see this as no real benefit to a 04-07 if the carb is set up correctly with AP Mod and Ziptys own set up tricks

Agreed. The adjustability will only serve a purpose of any kind while you are working out the right leak jet size. Once it's done, it's done.

• jimbopitts

Posted June 08, 2007 - 05:09 AM

thanks for the info :thumbsup:

• eric250f

Posted July 16, 2007 - 05:10 AM

Agreed. The adjustability will only serve a purpose of any kind while you are working out the right leak jet size. Once it's done, it's done.

I'll give an example of why you would want an adjustable accelerator pump.. I ride a 2004 yz250f, my race buddy rides a 2005 CRF450. We were racing each other all thru the bone dry spring season. All powder, no traction. Our bikes were working perfectly. I know, I'm the tuner for both.
Then the rain came, and our track was finally something besides a dustbowl! Traction galore! The result, bogging galore! Every circuit in the carb(s) was dead on, the problem was the pump squirt. Both bikes just needed more than they had all season until now. Having the Powerbowl at that time would have been perfect.
If you look at any road racing car carburator, like the SK, or the Holley, they all have and external adjustment for accelerator pump. My side draft SK (DCOE copy) has adjustment for the jet nozzel, and effective range of the acc. pump. All from the outside.
The way I see the FCR, it's kind of a piece of crap like a Holley 4-barrel. Not that it can't work well, it just needs a batch of band-aid style fixes. And the Powerbowl addresses a lot of these in one purchase. Including the stiffer spring for the acctuator.

• grayracer513

Posted July 16, 2007 - 08:44 AM

...And since you adjusted the leak jet orifice that one time, has there been any need to do it again?

$200 seems like a lot to spend to save such a small amount of time.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.