19" Rear rim on a 07 WR450 ???

12 replies to this topic
  • mcflzwr450f

Posted June 07, 2007 - 09:28 AM

Has anyone put a 19" rear rim on a 07 WR450? I was wondering how that woul affect my bike? Thanks. :thumbsup:

• SJMC_DON

Posted June 07, 2007 - 10:14 AM

Has anyone put a 19" rear rim on a 07 WR450? I was wondering how that woul affect my bike? Thanks. :thumbsup:

A lower profile tire would mean less sidewall roll but the WR is an offroad and comes with an 18" wheel for a reason. The 18" wheel allows for a taller sidewall tire that will better stand up to the rigors of offraod riding. It's usually the YZ guys that are looking into mounting an 18" rear in place of their 19". MHO is shy away from the 19" rim.

• witdogg

Posted June 07, 2007 - 10:22 AM

I am in the middle of putting a 19" wheel on my KLX450. They have less side wall roll than an 18" wheel. A 19" wheel works just fine offroad as long as you run a HD tube.

• SJMC_DON

Posted June 07, 2007 - 11:33 AM

I am in the middle of putting a 19" wheel on my KLX450. They have less side wall roll than an 18" wheel. A 19" wheel works just fine offroad as long as you run a HD tube.

Not to be argumentative but a few things -

1. When is sidewall roll a huge concern in off road riding / racing? (not MX but off road)

2. What do you think your 19" rim is gonna look like after a few years of riding with 8 - 11 lbs of air in your tire... regardles of what tube you are running? And if I had the $20 back for every HD tube I've pinch flatted I could probably buy a new 18" wheel:busted:

I would like to hear some ride reports on the KLX:ride:

• mcflzwr450f

Posted June 07, 2007 - 11:34 AM

The only reason I was even thinking of going with a 19" rear is I found a set of rims for $800, it just has a 19" rear.

• Prophet_MX

Posted June 07, 2007 - 11:41 AM

I would think that tire choice would also be an important factor to consider when going with a 19". I ride track and trail on my 19" and have good luck with it. I think when it comes to pinch flats and tire roll you also have to consider other factors that contribute to those problems; such as riding style, terrain and suspension setup. What type of terrain do you mostly ride on? is it rocky? steep? single-track?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • redswr

Posted June 07, 2007 - 11:47 AM

The only reason I was even thinking of going with a 19" rear is I found a set of rims for $800, it just has a 19" rear.

just go get some Warp9 wheels. they come in a few different colors and will run you about $800 for both, www.warp9racing.com stick with the 18" though if you ride anything but tracks

• witdogg

Posted June 07, 2007 - 12:45 PM

Not to be argumentative but a few things -

1. When is sidewall roll a huge concern in off road riding / racing? (not MX but off road)

2. What do you think your 19" rim is gonna look like after a few years of riding with 8 - 11 lbs of air in your tire... regardles of what tube you are running? And if I had the $20 back for every HD tube I've pinch flatted I could probably buy a new 18" wheel:busted:

I would like to hear some ride reports on the KLX:ride:

1. I do all desert riding; it is a lot of fast pace curvy single track. It really isn't much different than riding on a MX track.

2. I have no option on it yet, I haven't finished lacing it up. As far as a 19" rear wheels in general, I love them. This KLX is the first bike I have owned with an 18" rear wheel and I have just a few rides on it and I am going to change to a 19.

We do all desert riding and even go down to Baja once a year, we put on around 1000 miles in 5-7 days. I have never bent a rim and I have never had a flat in Mexico, not once. I run the Bridgestone Ultra Heavy Duty tubes with a hard tire. On the KLX I'm running a Maxxis Maxx Cross rear tire, it is a very hard tire.

With the hard tire and the tube I am running I have no doubt in my mind it will be just fine. :thumbsup:

• SJMC_DON

Posted June 07, 2007 - 03:22 PM

1. I do all desert riding; it is a lot of fast pace curvy single track. It really isn't much different than riding on a MX track.

2. I have no option on it yet, I haven't finished lacing it up. As far as a 19" rear wheels in general, I love them. This KLX is the first bike I have owned with an 18" rear wheel and I have just a few rides on it and I am going to change to a 19.

We do all desert riding and even go down to Baja once a year, we put on around 1000 miles in 5-7 days. I have never bent a rim and I have never had a flat in Mexico, not once. I run the Bridgestone Ultra Heavy Duty tubes with a hard tire. On the KLX I'm running a Maxxis Maxx Cross rear tire, it is a very hard tire.

With the hard tire and the tube I am running I have no doubt in my mind it will be just fine. :)

I'm doing 500 - 700 miles /yr desert riding and it's brutal up here in what "we call desert" my rims get hammered running HD tubes and Maxxis desert IT's.. oh well I guess we play hard so we pay hard :thumbsup:

• NavyNuke

Posted June 07, 2007 - 03:58 PM

I have a 19inch rim on my 06, not issues. I use it for my sand paddle.

• witdogg

Posted June 07, 2007 - 06:20 PM

I'm doing 500 - 700 miles /yr desert riding and it's brutal up here in what "we call desert" my rims get hammered running HD tubes and Maxxis desert IT's.. oh well I guess we play hard so we pay hard :thumbsup:

I guess it all depends on the terrain. We ride some rocky stuff but not too much, if I rode a lot of rocky terrain I would probably run an 18” rear wheel. I just haven’t had a problem yet running a 19.

• mcflzwr450f

Posted June 09, 2007 - 09:54 AM

I called Yamaha in Cypress Ca. today and they said that it will not change a thing on the bike except the sidewall on the tire. Thanks for all your help. I think I'm going to be getting some new wheels...:thumbsup:

• witdogg

Posted June 09, 2007 - 03:18 PM

I called Yamaha in Cypress Ca. today and they said that it will not change a thing on the bike except the sidewall on the tire. Thanks for all your help. I think I'm going to be getting some new wheels...:)

Good for you, I think the 19 in the rear looks a heck of a lot better too. :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.