wr450 stator / charging issue

3 replies to this topic
  • dirtbob

Posted June 07, 2007 - 08:13 AM

I have an 04 wr450 and am having an issue with the charging / stator or voltage regulator. i read some threads on the wr450's but was wondering if anyone knows if the bike needs to be at 5000rpm for the stator to send out 13+ volts.
i tested from the lead off the stator (before the v regulator) and only saw increase in voltage around 14 when it was well up in rpm.
this doesn;t seem normal and i can;t keep the front wheel on the ground riding like that :thumbsup:

• coffee

Posted June 09, 2007 - 11:25 AM

I have an 04 wr450 and am having an issue with the charging / stator or voltage regulator. i read some threads on the wr450's but was wondering if anyone knows if the bike needs to be at 5000rpm for the stator to send out 13+ volts.
i tested from the lead off the stator (before the v regulator) and only saw increase in voltage around 14 when it was well up in rpm.
this doesn;t seem normal and i can;t keep the front wheel on the ground riding like that :thumbsup:

Welcome to TT!

The first thing I would look at is the battery. If you could swap in another charged battery for testing your voltage readings vs rpm might be quite different.

Just a guess but your battery voltage might be 11 - 12ish Volts after the bike has sat for an hour right now...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dirtbob

Posted June 12, 2007 - 08:59 AM

Yeah this TT is great.
I had 11.4 volts after the ride when the bike was running so I charged it up and now it's reading 12.4 running so I think the battery is good.
It's the reading i get direct from the stator and that i need to run the rpm so high to read it charging. I read a few pulled it off and cleaned it - maybe that is what's up with mine?
Thanks for the feedback.

• coffee

Posted June 12, 2007 - 09:19 AM

...I think the battery is good.

My guess is no.

Experiment with a car / truck. It works the same.

my wag would be a shorted cell.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.