Another thumper pilot is born

8 replies to this topic
  • xcessjw

Posted June 07, 2007 - 04:29 AM

Last Sunday I was doing the obligatory yard work and called my brother to see if he wanted to bring my 4 year old nephew over so I could let him ride around on the rented Bobcat. He was looking at my YZ450 and my sons YZ426 so we fired them up and rode around the yard so he could watch. He was totally enthralled with the bikes...he especially like the sound. Well, he is getting his new TTR-50 this weekend complete with training wheels and gear and wants to come to Uncle's house and ride. You gotta love it...brings back so many good memories when a little guy gets his first bike. I can't wait to teach him how to ride and then watch him putt around on the same grass that I taught my son to ride on 12 years ago..little bit of history repeating!:thumbsup:

• DGIRT

Posted June 07, 2007 - 10:27 AM

My 13 year old son rode my 450 Tue. night for the first time. He rode real slow maybe 2nd gear.
He was real proud of himself. I told him to remember this " You never went as fast as when you were slow".
I put in a Rekluse Wed. night and he is looking forward riding this weekend.

• jayh300

Posted June 07, 2007 - 10:53 AM

Started my 13 year old out on a kx80, It scared the crap out of him. now he is 17 on an rmx250 and he scares the crap out of me !!!
funny how that stuff changes.

• ddgirt

Posted June 07, 2007 - 02:57 PM

My 13 year old is 200# and 5'9" :thumbsup:. He out grew his RM 80 a year and half ago.:)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BergArabia

Posted June 07, 2007 - 08:27 PM

I bought my son a quad a few months ago because he didn't want to ride a bike after his first attempts on my Yz450
So he rode that for a few months then one day as we are riding together and I am jumping a bit he says. Let me try that bike..
I had a few weeks of riding the quad after that because he prefers the bike..

Quad is gone now... sold it 2 weeks ago and I am going to buy me a new YZ450 so we can ride together on the real deal... :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted June 07, 2007 - 08:46 PM

Of all the really great and memorable moments I've had on a bike, Ascot park, Speedway, mile tracks, the number one plate, everything, nothing matches a day of riding with my son by ourselves. Nothing. :thumbsup:

• Wiz636

Posted June 07, 2007 - 09:19 PM

nothing matches a day of riding with my son by ourselves. Nothing. :thumbsup:

You said it Gray. My son is becoming a pretty good woods rider and it so cool to watch.

A little while back we were on a tight trail that had a BIG log that you had to negotiate. I got over it and stopped to lean my bike against a tree to 'spot' him and help get his bike over it. Well, he didn't even slow down...just braaap! Kissed the front wheel perfectly off the top of the log, changed his weight and launched the 426 up in the air and over it easy as pie. Dang near brought a tear to my eye.

• jayh300

Posted June 08, 2007 - 06:32 AM

Of all the really great and memorable moments I've had on a bike, Ascot park, Speedway, mile tracks, the number one plate, everything, nothing matches a day of riding with my son by ourselves. Nothing. :thumbsup:

Agreed 200%. It is way cool. Lots of lessons learned both ways ! :)

• Florida_426

Posted June 09, 2007 - 06:04 PM

As said by GR and the others, the time spent with a son and riding or wrenching motorcycles is priceless. Driving to Atlanta for the SX yearly, talking about life while doing maintenance and the time at the MX tracks for practice and races is my lifeline. I now have a son I am close to and graduated from a tough magnet Technical high school and has been Dean's List his first 2 semesters in college. Worth the time and effort.

Bill

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.