Ohlins Big-Bore Kit

33 replies to this topic
  • 90yz

Posted June 07, 2007 - 02:14 AM

Hi Guys,

Apparently Ohlins of all people made a big 360 big bore kit for YZ250. I have a 90 model and was hoping somebody might know where I can get one or if there are any other kits available for this bike.

Cheers

• RCannon

Posted June 07, 2007 - 04:08 AM

Back then Ohlin and Noleen were partners. Noleen produced a very cool kit to turn the yz 250 into a 360. This let Yamaha compete in the open class...which was very popular. Yamaha only had the yz 490 at this time and it was quite dated and possibly one of the worst motorcycles ever made (IMHO).
Noleen had a short run trying to make a 360 out of the Yz250. Very few people though that it was advantageous to buy a brand new motorcycle and dump 1/2 as much more into the engine to run a different class against bigger bikes.

Nevertheless, it could be done. It included a piston, cylinder, head, and I believe even a crank. The kit was 2 grand. In our 4 stroke world this sounds reasonable, but remember...this was the late 80's or early 90's. A new yz 250 was only 4 grand....LIST! You never paid anywhere close to list back then. I remember paying 3299.00 (otd..tax and all...new helmet included)for a new, leftover, 89 yz 250..... It was just too expensive to be a kit for everyone.

The kit and replacement parts have been un-available for a long time.

If you had a new, complete kit in your hands now, I expect the vintage guys would buy a brand new 2007 yz 250, gear, helmet, and maybe even a new truck to haul the bike in...just to get their hands on it.

I have a test of the kitted bike somewhere in one of my old dirt bike magazines.

I wish we could get a modern day version of this for our current machines.

Aluminum frame, 360cc's...well over 60 hp (nowdays it would be possible) and 220 lbs...........OK, time to stop dreaming!

• 90yz

Posted June 07, 2007 - 05:58 AM

Thanks for the info mate:thumbsup:
That is to bad, I only read about it today and got all excited. Are you aware of any other big-bore kits available for my bike?

• baby arm holding apple

Posted June 07, 2007 - 09:14 AM

Yamaha only had the yz 490 at this time and it was quite dated and possibly one of the worst motorcycles ever made (IMHO).

Aluminum frame, 360cc's...well over 60 hp (nowdays it would be possible) and 220 lbs...........OK, time to stop dreaming!

Line one.:ride: :ride: :ride: :ride: :ride:

Line two:shocked: :thumbsup: :) :ride: :ride: :ride:

• flat4

Posted June 08, 2007 - 06:58 PM

Line one.:ride: :ride: :ride: :ride: :ride:

Line two:shocked: :thumbsup: :) :ride: :ride: :ride:

how much would you be willing to pay for something like this?

• baby arm holding apple

Posted June 08, 2007 - 08:38 PM

how much would you be willing to pay for something like this?

If Yamaha less then a KTM.
I really have not looked at the CR 500 AF

• cryzrider

Posted June 09, 2007 - 06:59 AM

About two months ago an Ohlins 360YZ went for $1500 and it made me sick because I'd have loved it.
Every month the magazines have tests on either the 250Fs or the 450s. They should have a section every month for over bores and other two stroke trickery to keep them competetive with the cheater bikes. I do love my 285 though.
Craigus

• BrittB

Posted June 09, 2007 - 08:12 AM

We have one! It's a 89 WR250 with kit number 21 and has a matched carb plus a custom Noleen pipe in perfect condition. It's a no brainer to spot too as the cylinder has Ohlin cast right into the side. Didn't Ohlins also do a 300 kit?

This bike is not for sale by the way and yes, it kicks ass and takes names. If you ride it correctly, it can be riden in tight single track type stuff with ease. Does anyone know how many of these kits were produced?

• flat4

Posted June 10, 2007 - 04:07 AM

my 250 is getting a special cylinder,head,piston,powervalve,carb and stroked crank.it will have a special pipe and we will be running a cr500 silencer for the flow needed.it also has a stroker crank.i should have the engine back soon.this has been a long project that we hope to have running this year.when i receive the engine i will try and post picks.the price,well if you have to ask,well you know the rest.:thumbsup:

• Chezz197

Posted June 10, 2007 - 05:29 PM

I know you are looking for a 360, but MXA has a feature on a 285 kit in the July issue. It's made by a comapny called MaxPower (************). According to MXA, the kit costs $680 American

• Chezz197

Posted June 10, 2007 - 05:38 PM

I know you are looking for a 360, but MXA has a feature on a 285 kit in the July issue. It's made by a comapny called MaxPower (************). According to MXA, the kit costs $680 American

I told you wrong - MXA says the 285 kit costs $1025 American.

• 90yz

Posted June 10, 2007 - 07:54 PM

Thanks fellas,
All very encouraging, lets hope i find something down here in Australia.
Wish me luck. Bikes are the best:ride: :thumbsup: :) :ride:

• nullanzwer

Posted September 13, 2007 - 04:38 AM

Hello!

I got the ohlins 360 kit on my YZ 250 -88.

The piston needs to be replaced and i've been searching the web and made phone calls and so on.. finally i got to talk to the sales manager from Ohlins. He claims that they used the piston from yz 400 from late 70's to early 80's. But with small modifications.. Did they even do YZ 400 these years? I also got the yamaha OEM number to the piston rings.. it's 2X5-11612-00. But i cand find them on yamaha registers.

Help? :thumbsup:

Kenneth, sweden

• BRM

Posted September 13, 2007 - 03:07 PM

Hello!

I got the ohlins 360 kit on my YZ 250 -88.

The piston needs to be replaced and i've been searching the web and made phone calls and so on.. finally i got to talk to the sales manager from Ohlins. He claims that they used the piston from yz 400 from late 70's to early 80's. But with small modifications.. Did they even do YZ 400 these years? I also got the yamaha OEM number to the piston rings.. it's 2X5-11612-00. But i cand find them on yamaha registers.

Help? :thumbsup:

Kenneth, sweden

Yes they made yz 400s back then, you should be able to get a wiseco piston for it at that rate as they still make them. The head gaskets would probably be the same also. good luck.

• balls deep

Posted September 13, 2007 - 07:10 PM

We have one! It's a 89 WR250 with kit number 21 and has a matched carb plus a custom Noleen pipe in perfect condition. It's a no brainer to spot too as the cylinder has Ohlin cast right into the side. Didn't Ohlins also do a 300 kit?

This bike is not for sale by the way and yes, it kicks ass and takes names. If you ride it correctly, it can be riden in tight single track type stuff with ease. Does anyone know how many of these kits were produced?

post some pics.

• nullanzwer

Posted September 14, 2007 - 05:39 AM

Yes they made yz 400s back then, you should be able to get a wiseco piston for it at that rate as they still make them. The head gaskets would probably be the same also. good luck.

Thanks.. been looking on wiescos site but can't fint the right size. my cylinder and piston is 81.8. Also been talking to my local mx dealer. He built this engine and he says that my hunt for a new piston is not worth it.. and that i won't find one anyway.. :thumbsup:

• BRM

Posted September 14, 2007 - 04:06 PM

Thanks.. been looking on wiescos site but can't fint the right size. my cylinder and piston is 81.8. Also been talking to my local mx dealer. He built this engine and he says that my hunt for a new piston is not worth it.. and that i won't find one anyway.. :thumbsup:

What about a rebore out to 85mm with the 400 piston, that should put you at about 388.5cc. You will need to check the deck height and piston pin to suit but if it goes then you could be in business.

• nullanzwer

Posted September 15, 2007 - 01:02 AM

What about a rebore out to 85mm with the 400 piston, that should put you at about 388.5cc. You will need to check the deck height and piston pin to suit but if it goes then you could be in business.

Not a bad idea! I will check that out.. but it someone wants to buy my Ohlins stuff you are welcome. Cylinder, cylinder head and complete crank asy with rod. Also the piston but the piston is damaged..

• nullanzwer

Posted September 15, 2007 - 05:13 AM

I also got the exhaust pipe.. heres a pic of the kit!

Posted Image

• ncmountainman

Posted September 15, 2007 - 06:52 AM

i'm very interested...please PM me:thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Revalving a Factory Connection KYB SSS Revalve by C-P

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  42 replies
Forums
Photo

87 yz 250 by ccauvel

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

1998 yz125? by Cort003

• 8 replies
Forums
Photo

10 Best Mods For The 2006 Yamaha Yz250 by thebearYZ250

• Hot  27 replies
Forums
Photo

Yz250 crank shaft flywheel stripped problem! by jacob_buttery

• 6 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.