wr400 1998 mods

7 replies to this topic
  • sniper695

Posted June 06, 2007 - 06:29 PM

hello just wondering if there are any free mods you can do to a 1998 i heard they have no grey wire? but i found a grey wire in the manual and unplugged it and it seemed to run better? does it have a throttle stop screw. i looked and my carb is way different from pics on here. i already have a aftermarket exhaust. (i think ims) and airfilter (ims) just wondering if there is anything else i can do to make it run better. thanks

• 1rkcooper

Posted June 06, 2007 - 07:48 PM

I have had my 400 for about four years now. I just did the auto decompression mod three weeks ago. This is the absolute best mod you can do to really help you enjoy the bike. Somewhere around $100 depending on where you buy the cam and a couple hours of your time. I know it's not free but it IS THE best mod.

• sniper695

Posted June 07, 2007 - 05:21 PM

thanks that makes it so you can start it withouot the decompression lever right?

can any answer my questions about the grey/gray wire and the throtle limiter (what ever it is called that stops throttle at 3/4) thanks

• gearb0x

Posted June 07, 2007 - 07:07 PM

I just finished rebuilding mine with a 426 crankshaft, cylinder & hotcams

I Love it :thumbsup:

Mine has the top of the airbox cover completely removed as well might be an idea

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 1rkcooper

Posted June 07, 2007 - 08:39 PM

Check the common threads link at the top of the yz forum. There is a ton of info there.

• beanmop

Posted June 08, 2007 - 08:19 AM

I have had my 400 for about four years now. I just did the auto decompression mod three weeks ago. This is the absolute best mod you can do to really help you enjoy the bike. Somewhere around $100 depending on where you buy the cam and a couple hours of your time. I know it's not free but it IS THE best mod.

Does this make any other difference besides not longer needing the decomp. lever? That in itself sounds cool, but it really doesn't bother me enough to make me want to replace the cam.

• sniper695

Posted June 09, 2007 - 12:33 PM

hello i couldn't find anything about 1998 in specific. can someone tell me wether they have a grey wire? i believe my throttle stop is gone? i looled where it was supposed to be and it is not there is that bad. i have ran it for over a tear with no problems thanks

• 1rkcooper

Posted June 09, 2007 - 03:13 PM

Does this make any other difference besides not longer needing the decomp. lever? That in itself sounds cool, but it really doesn't bother me enough to make me want to replace the cam.

No decompression lever is absolutely fabulous. I didn't think it would be so good but I am amazed. It seems to give the bike a different power curve, still has tons of power and seems to be a bit more forgiving when lugging the engine. The air box is opened, the jetting is tuned, I had it timed to yz timing before and it was nice but this is the best mod I have done.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.