Rejet for K&N Air Filter?

7 replies to this topic
  • lucky13

Posted June 06, 2007 - 05:43 PM

As stated, will I need to rejet when I install a K&N filter?

• goblin127

Posted June 07, 2007 - 04:29 AM

Since the bike is lean from the factory for epa reasons and you are going to put a somewhat frearflowing air filter on then yes you should and the bike will be better for it. You may want to check out the uni filter if your going off road.

• lucky13

Posted June 07, 2007 - 04:42 AM

Thanks Goblin.

The bike has been uncorked, excluding cutting the airbox sides.

Would you happen to know if cutting the airbox sides will bring a lot more power, or just a slight improvement. I mainly ride street (Supermoto), but on occassion I throw the dirt wheels on and go trail riding. I've been sort of hesitant (and lazy) about the mod because I did fall while going through a deep swell that had about 2ft of water in it. Could only imagine what the difference would have been with the airbox open.

Any thoughts?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

• martinfan30

Posted June 07, 2007 - 08:49 AM

the uni foam is a far better filter as far as trapping dirt. k&n lets a fine silt pass thru and after a while, the inside of the intake tube will be coated! cutting the box may let water in more quickly too! who am i to talk though, i stuffed the battery and all the electronics in my airbox, and now use a pod filter!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • goblin127

Posted June 07, 2007 - 09:20 AM

I would stick with the snorkel removal only because once you cut those sides theres no going back. And performance wise,well you don't need it unless you built your motor. Are you doing Daves mods? If you are 55/158 on thre jets would be fine with out a pipe.

• lucky13

Posted June 07, 2007 - 01:58 PM

Are you doing Daves mods? If you are 55/158 on thre jets would be fine with out a pipe.

:thumbsup: Dave's mods? Please elaborate.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted June 08, 2007 - 08:00 AM

Lucky, if you have an XR650R, the dave mods do not apply.

For the XR650L it refers to a group of mods to improve the breathing, and a search will turn up the info here or on 4strokes.com

Dave

• lucky13

Posted June 08, 2007 - 09:29 AM

OOPS! :thumbsup:

Didn't realize that I didn't post that I have an XR650R.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.