YZ450; how many of you use it mostly for MX?

26 replies to this topic
  • adamdf

Posted June 06, 2007 - 11:41 AM

Hey guys, just wondering how many of you out there with the 450 bought it for racing or riding MX. It seems like a lot of people on here use them for the trails, but being mainly an MX rider who currently owns the 06 YZ250F and would like to buy an 08 when they come out later in the year i would like to know what you guys have found with the bike and what possible stuff you would have changed or would like to see improved upon. I know everyone has a different opinion, but my main goal is to stay competitive in motocross and nothing else, so i would like to see how many fellow TTers out there use the 450 as their weapon of choice to acheive the same goal.

• greentyler

Posted June 06, 2007 - 12:45 PM

I just jumped up from a 04 YZ250F to an 06 YZ450F.
I pretty much only ride MX tracks and mostly race. This thing absolutely rips, and i find myself being able to make jumps that i never used to be able to make, or even try.
Lots of people say that the 450's feel heavy in the corners, i don't think that this could be further from the truth! Throw it into the corner and gas it out!

:thumbsup: :) :ride:

• bleetham

Posted June 06, 2007 - 01:10 PM

I use my 06 450f for track only. Racing and practice. I have a 00 426f that is California green sticker and I use it for trail riding. I must admit that riding the 426 is not as fun anymore and it's tempting to start trail riding my 450. I'm trying to keep the 450 fresh for racing.

• Climber

Posted June 06, 2007 - 01:29 PM

Same as bletham. I use the 06 for track and racing only and the 04 450 for trails and a backup bike to the 06. The 04 feels like a really good XR400 when compared to the 06. I emphasize "really good", but still...

• Ranger18

Posted June 06, 2007 - 01:32 PM

I use my 06 450 for both track and trail. Im about 75% track

• Slinkyman16

Posted June 06, 2007 - 01:42 PM

i originally bought my 07 for the track. but you cant always make it there. so im about 75% track and 25%trail.

• 2wheels-drz

Posted June 06, 2007 - 01:55 PM

purely supermoto.......well and a bit of enduro, and me and a few riding buddys just hit a motocross track with supermoto wheels on this morring. guys where traking bets on where would have be dragged out of..not a bit, we made it round and then some, even clearing a few jumps. pretty good wot with slicks on....

• steve_97060

Posted June 06, 2007 - 02:44 PM

I use mine on the MX track only.. I wish I liked to trail ride, but it has never really appealed to me, it has been MX tracks my whole life.. maybe someday I will give the trails another try...maybe...stranger things have happened...

• Ga450owner

Posted June 06, 2007 - 07:28 PM

Both of mine...track only

• Croft315

Posted June 06, 2007 - 07:34 PM

Hey guys, just wondering how many of you out there with the 450 bought it for racing or riding MX... I know everyone has a different opinion, but my main goal is to stay competitive in motocross and nothing else, so i would like to see how many fellow TTers out there use the 450 as their weapon of choice to acheive the same goal.

+1 here :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pace

Posted June 06, 2007 - 07:41 PM

I use my '06 for 100% track. Upgraded from an '03 CR250 - the YZF is better everywhere. My next bike will probably be an '09 YZ450F.

I have a KTM EXC for trail usage. It's much better suited to that kind of thing than the YZF.

• adamdf

Posted June 07, 2007 - 04:56 AM

Nice to see there are quite a few mx riders on the 450. My next question is, how many of you are over 30? It seems like most 450 guys are over that age simply because they don't take mx seriously anymore and they just want a powerful machine. How many of you fall in to that category? Reason i ask is because i don't want to be persuaded to go with the 450 by people who don't have the same common goal as me.

• greentyler

Posted June 07, 2007 - 05:48 AM

24 year old racer...

absolutely love this thing.

• Wyatt

Posted June 07, 2007 - 05:52 AM

33 years old this month.........Vet class racer.....MX only

• Climber

Posted June 07, 2007 - 06:42 AM

forty........two........and it hurts.

I got a 450 because it is what was available and they are more reliable than the 250fs, which at this altitude, get wrung out. And yes, I do use all the power that the 450 puts out (which is ~20% less than at sea level). It makes up for my lack of cornering skill. :thumbsup:

• OUCR250R

Posted June 07, 2007 - 06:42 AM

21 year old. Slow B/ Fast C racer

• Troutman

Posted June 07, 2007 - 07:47 AM

34 and 95% Track.......Damn I am getting old!

• grayracer513

Posted June 07, 2007 - 08:09 AM

34 .......Damn I am getting old!

:ride: :ride: :thumbsup: :) :ride: That's funny. Talk to me in 20 years.

Most of my riding is "recreational", but steve_97060 would probably find the way we "trail ride" to be somewhat more to his liking than he might imagine. The bike is one of the absolute best pure MX bikes ever built. Simple as that. After a year, it still amazes me.

• BergArabia

Posted June 07, 2007 - 10:16 AM

I only ride in the desert,
Still plenty of jumping (off the dunes) and I love the bike,,

• adamdf

Posted June 07, 2007 - 11:03 AM

Wow, good to see all these positive responses. The reason i created this thread is because i ride on a motocross track which is tight for the most part and back in 03 i owned a CRF450 which i sold simply because it was no competition for the lighter two strokes at the time and since then i've always said the 450s will be great bikes once they got the cornering figured out, hence why i'm on a 06 YZ250F. However since 03 there has been many changes to the bikes and i rode the 06 RMZ450 which i found to be an ok bike and nice in the corners yet not quite what i was looking for, i also rode the 07 KTM 450SXF and i love that bike and it cornered excellently with smooth power output. So for a while now i have been saying i will go back to the 450 when the 08 models role out. I am 22 years old and staying competitive is my number one goal, since i am currently on a yamaha i woud like to say i'll go with the YZ450 being that my yz250F has only been good to me but unfortunately i do not have the opportunity to test one, noone in my area owns one and basically i will have to be the lab rat. I think it is safe to say though that i have narrowed my options down to the YZF or the KTM. Has anyone on here ridden both?

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.