2005 yz450f

5 replies to this topic
  • caliwakeboarder

Posted June 05, 2007 - 09:02 PM

ok im buying my first 4 stroke tommorow.im buying a used o5 yz450f. the only upgrades are hanguards and frame guards. what issues do i need to look out for with an 05? any help is much app:excuseme:

• Mutu

Posted June 06, 2007 - 03:28 AM

They are a pretty solid model!
I don't think they had anything to look out for as such, apart from the normal used bike wear and tear.

• neevothespaniel

Posted June 06, 2007 - 03:39 AM

I would just do the normal new bike stuff:

1. Grease all the bearings
2. Check the valve clearances
3. Set the bike up for yourself

... oh yeah... don't forget to :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Pezman04wrx

Posted June 06, 2007 - 03:47 AM

It's really hard checking out any used bike, but I've gone through it a couple times and here are some things I've always tried to focus on checking ...

First ... Just take it out for a quick spin ... Check the feel for the brakes, clutch, and all the gears ... Where's the suspension set at (set-up for you, or a lighter/heavier rider) ...

Second ... Does it have a Title or Cert of Origin (only matters if you need/want it) ... Does it look maintained in general ... Throw it up on a stand and quickly check the wheel bearings, fork seals, sprockets and chain, swing arm/linkage slop ... How's the oil look (use a paper towel to really see the color, the dipstick can be deceiving) ... Where's the coolant level at and does it look clean ... Pull the air-filter and check it out top and bottom as well as checking if there's any crap in the base of the air box or not ...

I bring a roll of paper towels and some misc tools in the base of a stand so that I can do everything myself without having to ask anything of the owner ... The more effort you put into checking it all out, the better you'll feel when you plunk down a few grand on your new toy ...

• caliwakeboarder

Posted June 06, 2007 - 08:47 PM

thank you for all the replys. I ended up buying it from the guy. the bike was in great condition, started and idled perfect. no leaks everything felt tight. the bike still ahs the stock stickers on the fenders. I feel like I got a great deal. im ready to tear it down so i can tear it up.

• tnl

Posted June 06, 2007 - 09:10 PM

ok im buying my first 4 stroke tommorow.im buying a used o5 yz450f. the only upgrades are hanguards and frame guards. what issues do i need to look out for with an 05? any help is much app:excuseme:

I had my o5 front forks serviced by a local shop here in Phoenix and was told that the front forks had a negative rebound issue/problem. Not a major issue but remember that next time you service them to have shims installed.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.